Sign in to follow this  
Kintamayama

Sheikh YerBoodie-the Boodie watch..

Egyptian Oosunaarashi destroyed his opponent Fukusato a few seconds ago and is 2-0.

Edited by Kintamayama

In his first match this tournament Kotoomura pretty much ran out of the ring! :-P

Edited by Torabayama

Oosunaarashi has been a top amateur and his level is probably mid Makushita. So these rather unmatched matches will continue for a while.

disagree. Perhaps jonidan or lower sandanme but not makushita.

He is very strong, but is lacking even the most basic moves once a bout starts.

It actually looks like he puts a lot of effort into posing in the build up but once out of the blocks is moving in an uncontrolled manner.

As if that ever stopped the likes of Wakanoho/Aran/Aoiyama/etc.

Won today as well. Beat Tsugarunada by tsukidashi.

Edited by Kintamayama

It actually looks like he puts a lot of effort into posing in the build up but once out of the blocks is moving in an uncontrolled manner.

It's really too early to tell as his bouts so far are just too short to expose any technique more than the tachi-ai.

In any case, I believe you are mistaking technique level with overall sumo strength level. I'm more inclined to believe other reports that he indeed is makushita level (training with Wakamisho etc.)

As if that ever stopped the likes of Wakanoho/Aran/Aoiyama/etc.

the first two of whom are remembered for their 'in-reverse' sumo than decent, forward moving sumo. Says it all. Aoiyama too big at the mo to go back in full on 'French military style' and knowing him would be annoyed to be compared to the other two.

It's really too early to tell as his bouts so far are just too short to expose any technique more than the tachi-ai.

In any case, I believe you are mistaking technique level with overall sumo strength level. I'm more inclined to believe other reports that he indeed is makushita level (training with Wakamisho etc.)

understand, and understood, but perhaps then he is being overplayed by his friends.

Overhype is always a concern when an unusual prospect joins the building, but I'm inclined to believe them this time. The way he easily wins his matches with apparent lack of effort (and without fancy displays of technique, as it's been mentioned) are a reminder of other gaijin who climbed up the ranks.

Baruto for one climbed all the way up to sanyaku thanks to an uncanny brawling instinct and a very rare blend of physical strength, sturdiness and mobility. He only developed his sumo technique later on.

Edited by Koorifuu

Overhype is always a concern when an unusual prospect joins the building, but I'm inclined to believe them this time. The way he easily wins his matches with apparent lack of effort (and without fancy displays of technique, as it's been mentioned) are a reminder of other gaijin who climbed up the ranks.

Baruto for one climbed all the way up to sanyaku thanks to an uncanny brawling instinct and a very rare blend of physical strength, sturdiness and mobility. He only developed his sumo technique later on.

Baruto is still extremely lacking in technique and still relies on size when things don't go his way. Technique taught as early as possible couple with size and strength is always the best combination.

I recall watching Hakuho when he was about a month into life at the heya and we can see where he is now - after predominantly 'skills' training early on. He probably weighed half what he does now.

Also recall seeing Baruto - already huge and not his 'fault' of course but he was never, and is never going to be the 'finished package' - or a strong yokozuna if he ever gets there.

Baruto is still extremely lacking in technique and still relies on size when things don't go his way. Technique taught as early as possible couple with size and strength is always the best combination.

I agree but this still doesn't mean Baruto is maegashira level. (Analogy to saying that Osunaarashi is jonidan/low sandanme level)

Edited by Doitsuyama

As discussed many times, his quick rise in the ranks "prevented" him from learning and honing certain skills, but I do see tremendous improvement even from 12 months ago. He has learned to fall "correctly", for one thing.

SakuraSumoMV2001sm.jpg

Huge Kaido Höövelson? 15 years old, not much younger than Hakuho in his debut...

Edited by Peeter
  • Like 2

I look forward to the seeing Osunaarashi vs Kotomatsuo. Both are 3-0 and it will be a bit of a David vs Goliath match.

The quality of Kotomatsuo's opponents may not be very high but he's always the smaller rikishi and he looks like he's in control. Osunaarashi hasn't shown much technique as he's powering his opponents out so quickly. I wonder how he'd do if a sharp little guy like Kotomatsuo survived the tachiai and got a grip on his mawashi?

I look forward to the seeing Osunaarashi vs Kotomatsuo. Both are 3-0 and it will be a bit of a David vs Goliath match.

If I'm not mistaken his next opponent will be Araumago, not Kotomatsuo. Mid-sandanme regular, should be interesting too.

When did that happen? B-)

If I'm not mistaken his next opponent will be Araumago, not Kotomatsuo. Mid-sandanme regular, should be interesting too.

I am only anticipating that this meeting will happen. If one of them drops out of the yusho race, maybe it won't. I would like to see it though.

I agree - the Araumago match should be interesting too - he's back after 2 missed basho and is also 3-0.

Well Big Sandstorm is a guy on/with a mission, of course he is still at the very start of his sumo career and has much to learn, however guts, a big heart and having the cohones can get you a long way in sumo as well as being built like a brick ****house.

God has given him all the raw materials and it is up to him and his Oyakata to get everything together to work in harmony .There are many technically gifted Rikishi there out there, but if you aint got the heart it's game over.Lets all root for him and not try to tear him down while he is trying to build something unique.I for one would not like to be on the end of his tsuppari........Go Boody Go..... Shake YerBoodie for all you can...........................

• Like 1

Very convincing win against Araumago. This bodes well for the sandstorm.

• Like 2

Very convincing win against Araumago. This bodes well for the sandstorm.

Never doubted it...........

Kotomatsuo also won - both are 4-0. I assume they will be matched up soon!

Thats for sure ,but realistically I cannot see him beating Shakethebooty, especially if he gets a big Egyptian two handed welcome at the Tachiai.......I for one would not like to be the one lining up in front of the Sheikh with the idea of stopping his first Yusho run.......ouch................If I am wrong I will of course eat my words plus a kilo of local sand....... (A fearful rikishi...)

Yup, they should be lined up now.