Sign in to follow this  
omoimori

Health of the Yokozuna

Unfortunately conspiracy theories, speculation on back room dealings, and accusations of bout rigging are par for the course with ST and their members these days, and they can see little else. It makes their site pretty much unreadable and drains the enjoyment out of sumo, IMHO. Considering the lack activity on their boards this basho, I'm guessing I'm not alone on that opinion.

Oh don't worry, the boards have been empty for quite some time now. The actual reports are read by many, though.

But regarding the quote

I have always wondered how watching a video of a sport you have never practiced makes you qualified to judge whether a bout is staged or not...

I finally see the error of my ways. I always thought, for instance, that I was quite qualified to judge the work of my government and express my opinion in what we post-feudalists call "elections". And all that even though I was never serving in any public office! Oh, the hubris!

And thinking about it: Take doctors. Them bastards think they really have a clue about illnesses and stuff. They become all authoritative and throw pills at you. Even when they never had what they claim you have!

Wow, wow: Judges! They adjudge murderers, can you imagine? But one of the few conditions for becoming a judge (at least in these parts) is that they have a pretty clean record, criminalitywise. That's what I call a flawed system.

Edited by yorikiried by fate

Now I'm reading of a left hand index finger sprain he suffered during his day 1 loss against Aminishiki. He was checked and was told he needs to rest one to two weeks for it to heal. "Well, you know.." he remarked.

and what else is new? when you are right at the top in a big game, you don't bleat out every little thing to the awaiting multitudes, do you? Especially in Japanese culture, you turn up day by day and give it all you've got. And that, IMHO, is what is happening here.

Orion

I have been away for several days. I just wanted to thank you for your remarks.

I rather regret starting this string, what with the resulting acrimony and conspiracy theories.

No, it is. It's cool. It's the expression "fracture" that seems to be inconceivable to me.
Who can explain the lack of any resistance from Kakuryu on Day 10? He just walked backwards out of the dohyo. Are you kidding me? I won't be surprised the same scenario today (hopefully not!). So I think, hurting or not, Hakuho will get his KK.

You guys better make up your minds. Either Hakuho isn't injured in such a way as to affect his performance, and has been throwing bouts -- OR Kakuryu threw his to help the yokozuna look better.

Both cannot be simultaneously true. If Hakuho isn't injured, then he can win his own bouts, and there was no need for Kakuryu to throw his. If he is injured, such that Kakuryu needed to help him out, then he must NOT be throwing bouts. So which is it?

I invite you to duke it out among yourselves which conspiracy theory is "real".

• Like 1

If Hakuho can't get a grip, he should bow out of the rest of this tournament and come back on fire next time.

If other contributors can't get a grip.....................................................

Edited by alaninjapan

Hakuho is very unlikely to drop out regardless of the current injury. Just after the tourney he is due to fly to Mongolia taking with him some retired Japanese baseball players to conduct a baseball clinic he has organised for 100 children. Not wanting to disappoint the kids he is determined to go. If the injury gets worse he will have to go kyujo and cancel the baseball clinic.

Discussion about Sumotalk has been split and moved to the off-topic area.

Hakuho is winning again. But he doesn't grab the Mawashi with the right hand. He does it with techniques that he can get around the pain. In the Kotooshu bout it was the first pull attempt I have consciously seen by Hakuho.

Health for Yokozuna Hakuho is very special... Imagine what he could do and received the 22nd of the tournament. This would make him the best of the best in the record of 13-2

I was very curious of what he's eating and how he could pull out his strenght with regards on his health.