Sign in to follow this  
Kintamayama

Videos Natsu 2012

Some say pulling is inferior to forward moving.I don't mind either way but it gets kinda boring..

You got that interesting (and needless) extra push from Kisenosato to make up for it.

Exciting stuff, at this point i'd like a Tochiouzan win myself :) but if the Yokozuna managed an unlikely come-back i'd like that even more, thanks again kintamayama, incidently, is pulling considered to be not great Sumo? i know henka isn't widely liked, but is pulling considered to be less skillful than forward moving Sumo? i like both myself hehe.

I think pulling is a perfectly acceptable strategy after a solid tachiai; what gets my goat is that some guys will immediately try to circle and pull down, and they do it with annoying consistency, pulling off a string of cheap henkas.

But again, if the opposition are consistently dumb enough to fall for it.......

I'd like to see Hak beat Ama tomorrow, just to shake up at least one of the Ozeki for the next basho after (Kisenesato aside) very sporadic performances from all of them. Mind you, the whole basho has been a bit all over the place lol.

Good luck to whoever yushos - it'll be something to remember, even if they never reach those dizzying heights ever again, it'll be something to tell the grandkids :-)

• Like 1

Exciting stuff, at this point i'd like a Tochiouzan win myself :) but if the Yokozuna managed an unlikely come-back i'd like that even more, thanks again kintamayama, incidently, is pulling considered to be not great Sumo? i know henka isn't widely liked, but is pulling considered to be less skillful than forward moving Sumo? i like both myself hehe.

winning in reverse is not good sumo.

Ah i see, i was not aware of this, now i understand why quite a few rikishi, Kisenosato first among them actually in my memory, extol the virtue of forward-moving Sumo.

I've seen Goeido for example do quite a bit of backward moving in the past, it seemed to work for him, helping him keep his opponents off balance... something for me to ponder on definitely, thanks guys.

I think I'd like to see Tochiozan win the yusho at this point. It would be more memorable for so many reasons. I still can't fathom how none of the ozeki's have managed to hand Hakuho a loss so far. Granted, Harumafuji still has a shot but how he's going this basho I'd say it's a long one.

Ah i see, i was not aware of this, now i understand why quite a few rikishi, Kisenosato first among them actually in my memory, extol the virtue of forward-moving Sumo.

I've seen Goeido for example do quite a bit of backward moving in the past, it seemed to work for him, helping him keep his opponents off balance... something for me to ponder on definitely, thanks guys.

There are 2 fundamental styles of sumo, oshi and yotsu. Oshi sumo is pushing, pulling and thrusting. Yotsu sumo is grappling, usually involving mawashi holds and throws. In recent years, oshi sumo has replaced yotsu sumo as the predominant style taught to new recruits. It has been tagged as "forward moving sumo", and it includes both push me and pull you.

Edited by Asojima
  • Like 1

In very general terms, the idea is that forward-moving sumo puts you in charge of your own destiny, while going backward means you've ceded the initiative to your opponent and all you can do is react. But of course that's not entirely true, there are plenty of rikishi who've honed their evasive skills to such a degree that it's an actual offensive weapon for them. I think the notion is that it's more difficult to break through (= become a sekitori) with that type of sumo, though.

• Like 1

In very general terms, the idea is that forward-moving sumo puts you in charge of your own destiny, while going backward means you've ceded the initiative to your opponent and all you can do is react. But of course that's not entirely true, there are plenty of rikishi who've honed their evasive skills to such a degree that it's an actual offensive weapon for them. I think the notion is that it's more difficult to break through (= become a sekitori) with that type of sumo, though.

I wonder how willing rikishi were at pulling against the likes of Asashoryu. I think we need someone with his gusto and aggresion to make these guys think twice about 'ceding the initiative'.

There are 2 fundamental styles of sumo, oshi and yotsu. Oshi sumo is pushing, pulling and thrusting. Yotsu sumo is grappling, usually involving mawashi holds and throws. In recent years, oshi sumo has replaced yotsu sumo as the predominant style taught to new recruits. It has been tagged as "forward moving sumo", and it includes both push me and pull you.

I'm not sure I agree with this. It depends on what you mean by "in recent years." If you mean the last 20-25 years, I would agree. Oshizumo definitely dominated in the era of Akebono, Konishiki, Musashimaru, Musoyama, Dejima, etc., and this seems to be in contrast to earlier periods. But in the last 5-10 years, I have noticed a distinct preference for yotsuzumo with the dominance of Mongolian rikishi such as Asashoryu, Hakuho, and Kakuryu. If you are just speaking about the youngest recruits in the lower divisions, though, then maybe it has changed again.

I'm not sure I agree with this. It depends on what you mean by "in recent years." If you mean the last 20-25 years, I would agree. Oshizumo definitely dominated in the era of Akebono, Konishiki, Musashimaru, Musoyama, Dejima, etc., and this seems to be in contrast to earlier periods. But in the last 5-10 years, I have noticed a distinct preference for yotsuzumo with the dominance of Mongolian rikishi such as Asashoryu, Hakuho, and Kakuryu. If you are just speaking about the youngest recruits in the lower divisions, though, then maybe it has changed again.

My sumo foundation is from the 70's, so I have a different definition of "recent" from that of the average forum member. Mongolian sumo is almost pure yotsu type sumo, and most of the Mongolians started out in this venue. They primarily rely on technique rather than bulldozing. It is now rare to see a Japanese rikishi who is skilled in yotsu techniques.

Before the basho ends, I must thank you again, Kintamayama. I never miss your compilation. It's as much a part of the event as the throwing of the salt or Aran pulling a henka.

• Like 2

Senshuraku:

Edited by Kintamayama
  • Like 10

SPOILERS BELOW. DON'T LOOK IF YOU HAVEN'T SEEN THE VIDEO:

Well done Kyokutenhou!

Nearly retired and what a way to go!

Overall though, what a crazy basho! Everyone damn nearly beating everyone else, just like a brawl down at the local - you can't predict a winner lol

A million thank-you's for the video compilations Kintamayama, they are a wonderful addition to the tournament itself, not a day goes by without me bursting out laughing at the captions, if there was a comedy-spirit prize you'd win every time :) Ah that was a great two weeks, i'm going to miss rushing to the video's thread :)

Thank you very much Kitamayama! You added a lot to the enjoyment of the basho.

Thank you all for watching, and more than that, your appreciation is very much appreciated!!

And now-GTB!!

Edited by Kintamayama
  • Like 3

Thanks for your great and quick work on the last 15 days. (Applauding...)

Thank you so much for your efforts. This very interesting basho would not have been the same without the amazing videos to accompany the stories.

Waah, kabuki-factor! And still no Japanese yusho! Bwahaha! This was fun. Thank you very much for your daily videos and the added fun of the comments.

Thank you for all your time and effort to compile the daily videos. I really appreciate it.