Sign in to follow this  
Sotonokuni

Surplus Snark from Sumo Books written in English

Self-publishing can be quite interesting, especially if the writing is good. I had a quick scan through the free-view pieces of the first book. Interesting inside content but it wanders in a "and then...and then... and then..." kind of way. It would have been good to see an editor really pare this back to make it punchier. You can tell also from the very elongated contents pages in both books that it needs to be tightened, or at least would be if released by a publishing house.

It seems I might have touched a nerve with Chris. I don’t think there is any criticism of his content, the fact that he has written the books, or jealousy on my part. I merely suggested that a publishing house editor would have tightened the copy, based on the pages that I read via the preview. To be honest, having been back on the forum only 2 days for the first time in about a year, I didn’t put two and two together to realize that Sotonokuni was Chris. I certainly don’t have a problem with people looking at my writing, and I must add that Chris (and Mark) have edited my work on the contributions I made to the Sumo fan Magazine.

Sasanishiki - give me your sumo book and I'll gladly edit it for you! For a small fee!

make sure you do it mind. Don't say it is being done, on its way and not do it! Not good form that. Eh Howard?

See below

Howard, saw your mail last night - deleted it without opening it. Let's just hope you are being more honest with Katrina in your contributions to her project than you were elsewhere when your e-mail suddenly stopped working as deadlines neared. Glad it seems to be OK again now.

The email never stopped working, but the user did for a while! (My university email did stop, but you were copying to my Hotmail address as well). It's a shame that you didn't want to answer my queries about the UKSA. I'll deal with that in the other thread, but will address what you are referring to in respect to the Amateur Angles column of Sumo Fan Magazine.

I think I’d run out of ideas for the time after having contributed 25 columns and having become increasingly distant from the world of international amateur sumo. I didn’t put anything forward for SFM issue #34 but I’ll also put my hand up and say that I should have been more forthcoming in my communication around mid-December 2010 and January 2011 regarding not having much to contribute at that time. Sorry, it was a busy time, and we all get that way occasionally. So, perhaps more ‘honesty’ in that sense, but I didn’t promise the earth and not deliver.

I guess I’ve done the same with the SF over the past 12 months, and probably for a while before that as well. Life had other priorities for that time. Again, my apologies for not being more communicative, and I fully support your decision to move on. I’d mostly been a bit difficult in making deadlines, and then needing to be chased (thanks Chris). Fully support the SFM and hope it goes well. I must confess I haven’t read it for a while, but I’ve explained already that I’ve also been off the forum.

Thanks everyone for their patience while we had a chance to sort things out. The topic is open again.

(OT) My apologies for replying in a locked topic. I had the reply window open prior to the topoic being locked as I was writing my response in MS Word because of the different quotes. I then copied what I had written into the open window and posted. I'm not sure if it was because the window was already open, or because I have Mod powers, but the reply got through.

I must say that I am glad that threads like this are rare on sumoforum.

To Sotonokuni and Mark -- have in mind that a lot of people here on this forum are not involved and are not aware of the details behind your personal rivalry with other people that write here on Sumoforum. So what we percieve it is directly related with the way how you present it here. And I can tell you that so much rage and anger is bad for the publicity you are obviously trying to achieve.

• Like 4