Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Kintamayama

New recruits-May 2012

32 posts in this topic

!0 new recruits have signed up for May 2012. This is the first basho where the old standards have been abolished, and the new standard of 1.67/67 kilos has been established. In truth, the old two-tier system is now gone, and everyone over 1.67/67 kilos can sign up without undergoing "special physical tests". Last year, 7 recruits, so a slight increase there. So far one star-Kinki's Hamaguchi, who will be joining Kise beya.

Edited by Kintamayama

At least two of the new recruits will join Tomozuna-beya, at least temporarily - they were recruited by Asakayama-oyakata (former Ozeki Kaio). The article says this is likely the first step on the way to branching out to found his own heya in the future. "These are the first deshi I've brought to the heya," commented Asakayama. "I'll teach them what I've learned as well as learning my own role as oyakata. I hope they will become strong rikishi, both physically and mentally."

15-year-old Hagiwara Shota stands 178cm tall and weighs 130kg. He has participated in national middle school competitions and was tempted to carry on to high school. "I thought about it, but I wanted to try and become a rikishi like Kaio," he said. "I want to become a rikishi that everyone will love."

18-year-old Ogata Toshihiro is the smaller of the duo at 173cm and 126kg, and he too has a background in school sumo with a third-place finish in a fifth-grade competition. "I was very happy to have been noticed [by Kaio]," he said. "I will devote myself to keiko so that I can become a sekitori as quickly as I can."

Ogata (left) and Hagiwara (right) with Kaio (middle).

G20120423003102960_view.jpg

Hagiwara being measured:

f-sp120427kaio-ns300.jpg

Edited by Yubinhaad
1 person likes this

Miyazawa (16) is 1.84 meters tall but barely met the weight criteria of 67. "I was 65 in the morning, but thanks to an anideshi who brought me some water, I passed the minimum," he said. Water? 2 kilos in a few hours??

His thinness:

f-sp120427miyazawa-ns-big.jpg

Edited by Kintamayama

2 kilos = 2 liters of water. He probably drank at least another liter to compensate for sweating/evaporation. Tough and unhealthy, but not impossible.

Miyazawa (16) is 1.84 meters tall but barely met the weight criteria of 67. "I was 65 in the morning, but thanks to an anideshi who brought me some water, I passed the minimum," he said. Water? 2 kilos in a few hours??

Oldest trick in the book. You drink the water just before going in to get on the scales, hold it in, then get out and vomit it up as soon as you are clear. It's _just_ the weight of the water that counts. Reaching the height requirements was much more painful -- the recently-retired Oshima oyakata told the story (by no means unusual in his day) of getting a friend to hit him over the head with a plank and meeting the required level with the resultant lump (this was way before the days when they resorted to silicon implants, of course -- that's a whole different story).

Orion

Chiganoura-beya has a new recruit as well, 18-year-old 坪見快輝 (anyone?). He is 180cm and 125kg and from Chofu in Tokyo. He was a member of the sumo team at his high school, Adachi Shinden, which is apparently quite a strong sumo school.

1205cbn.jpg

1 person likes this

坪見快輝 (anyone?)

Yoshiteru Tsubomi? I blame WWWJDIC if that's completely off...

坪見快輝 (anyone?)

Yoshiteru Tsubomi? I blame WWWJDIC if that's completely off...

Sounds good to me. I had no clue at all for the family name, and all I could come up with for the given name was Kaiki. Yoshiteru sounds better to me though. Cheers!

2 kilos = 2 liters of water. He probably drank at least another liter to compensate for sweating/evaporation. Tough and unhealthy, but not impossible.

It'll be interesting watching him gain weight over time.

Reaching the height requirements was much more painful -- the recently-retired Oshima oyakata told the story (by no means unusual in his day) of getting a friend to hit him over the head with a plank and meeting the required level with the resultant lump (this was way before the days when they resorted to silicon implants, of course -- that's a whole different story).

Silicon implant? Really? I heard it happened but who actually did it?

Edited by athelitextreme

It'll be interesting watching him gain wait over time.

Reaching the height requirements was much more painful -- the recently-retired Oshima oyakata told the story (by no means unusual in his day) of getting a friend to hit him over the head with a plank and meeting the required level with the resultant lump (this was way before the days when they resorted to silicon implants, of course -- that's a whole different story).

Silicon implant? Really? I heard it happened but who actually did it?

Mainoumi was the best-known. As soon as he'd qualified he had it removed, but complained of terrible pain.

Orion

18-year-old Ogata Toshihiro is the smaller of the duo at 173cm and 126kg, and he too has a background in school sumo with a third-place finish in a fifth-grade competition.

Not much of a qualification for heading into ozumo. Fifth grade would have been about 7 years ago for him. I wonder what has happened since? Hopefully he has some fundamentals from that experience.

Chiganoura-beya has a new recruit as well, 18-year-old 坪見快輝 (anyone?). He is 180cm and 125kg and from Chofu in Tokyo. He was a member of the sumo team at his high school, Adachi Shinden, which is apparently quite a strong sumo school.

1205cbn.jpg

very good sumo school just down the road from me - dohyo out the back of the school with a roof. Lowest academic record in Tokyo some years go at the HS level but always good at sumo.

In addition to the new rikishi, there's a new gyoji and two new tokoyama this basho.

Shikimori Hajime is the new gyoji at Michinoku-beya, this seems to be him at the heya website:

pic_heya24.jpg

The new tokoyama, if I'm reading the names right, are Tokoyu at Onomatsu-beya and Tokoazuma at Sadogatake-beya.

1 person likes this

NSK data:

SHIKONA KANJI NAME HEYA HEIGHT WEIGHT DOB BIRTHPLACE
Hagiwara 萩原 Shota Hagiwara Tomozuna 177 128 19 - June - 1996 Niigata
Hamaguchi 濱口 Koyo Hamaguchi Kise 177 153 11 - July - 1989 Mie
Iwasaki 岩崎 Takuya Iwasaki Kise 183 156 11 - June - 1989 Tokyo
Komatsu 小松 Kazuoki Komatsu Kise 180 116 19 - August - 1996 Aichi
Matsumoto 松本 Yuta Matsumoto Tamanoi 170 78 29 - November - 1996 Chiba
Miyazawa 宮澤 Takamasa Miyazawa Minato 184 67 07 - May - 1995 Niigata
Narahara 楢原 Yuta Narahara Sakaigawa 187 112 10 - February - 1992 Saitama
Ogata 尾方 Toshihiro Ogata Tomozuna 173 128 26 - July - 1993 Kumamoto
Takahashi 高橋 Hiroshi Takahashi Tomozuna 174 102 17 - December - 1991 Fukuoka
Tsubomi 坪見 Kaiki Tsubomi Chiganoura 180 122 29 - September- 1993 Tokyo

The Kyokai didn't deign us with sound during most of maezumo today, and in addition my recording crapped out at least twice, so chances are today's maezumo coverage will be somewhat spotty, if I can salvage something at all.

(Unless somebody else got luckier, of course.)

Edited by Asashosakari

The Kyokai didn't deign us with sound during most of maezumo today, and in addition my recording crapped out at least twice, so chances are today's maezumo coverage will be somewhat spotty, if I can salvage something at all.

(Unless somebody else got luckier, of course.)

What was the final outcome of this, Asashosakari? Did you manage to salvage anything of day 3? All I managed to record was the last bout.

What was the final outcome of this, Asashosakari? Did you manage to salvage anything of day 3? All I managed to record was the last bout.

I missed the middle two bouts out of six. I'll post what I managed to get in a bit.

Day 3...the start of bout 3 morphs into the end of bout 4, but I've kept it in so you can at least see the competitors.

Mz1

Many thanks for this!

Hamaobu won!! (Clapping wildly...)

Miyazawa put up a great fight, good to see.

Day 5:

Mz4

Edited by Asashosakari

It'll be interesting watching him gain weight over time.

I doubt he'll be in sumo long enough. If he's in sumo come January, I'd be amazed.