Sign in to follow this  
Asashosakari

Sekitori with collegiate sumo experience

Koukai    4

Was Kaido from Chuo or from Meiji University?

Kaido1%252B.jpg

Edited by Koukai

Asashosakari    8,616

That's a very interesting question, indeed. (Laughing...) I'll check why I put him with Chuo.

Edit: Definitely Chuo University. The kesho-mawashi was sponsored by Nakano High School, a Tokyo-area school affiliated to Meiji University, but Kaido did not stay in the Meiji system for his university education.

Edited by Asashosakari

Asashosakari    8,616

Updated for Hatsu 2013 with Shohozan's promotion to sanyaku and Azumaryu's juryo debut, the first out of Kyushu Joho..

Asashosakari    8,616

Late Hatsu updates for the retirements of Takamisakari and Bushuyama, and updated for Haru 2013 with the Sotairyu and Oiwato (né Kanbayashi) makuuchi debuts. And the links have been changed to sumodb.sumogames.de now, so clicking on them will actually do something again.

Asashosakari    8,616

Updated with Miyabiyama's Haru retirement, and the Natsu makuuchi debuts of Homarefuji/Azumaryu/Daikiho and juryo debut of Kizenryu.

Washuyama    379

Dude, mucho-props for all the work put into this! (Applauding...)

aderechelsea    103

great topic.

thanks for all the work you put into making this list and keeping it up to date..

Asashosakari    8,616

Updated for Natsu with Yoshikaze's sanyaku debut, and also Kimurayama's intai (from Hatsu) that wasn't reflected yet.

Asashosakari    8,616

Updated for the retirements of Tanzo and Kimikaze (back in May), Takekaze's sekiwake debut and the arrival of Jokoryu and Chiyotairyu in sanyaku. Amazingly, of all the collegiate rikishi who reached the sekitori ranks between 2000 and 2009, Takekaze is the only one to make it to sekiwake. (And barring a similar late-career run by Yoshikaze, Homasho or Tosayutaka, he will remain the only one.)

Incidentally, Aki basho is the 5th tournament in a row without any new sekitori from a collegiate background. That hasn't happened since 2006/07 (6-basho gap) and it's only the second time in the last 20 years.

(Although in fairness 2014 is a year with very few sekitori debuts altogether, only 5 so far. The most recent single-digit annual total was 8 debuts in 2009.)

• Like 2

Johnofuji    181

Thanks for that Asashosakari seki.

As I graduate I follow these men closely- especially the Nittai dai boys who come and let us train with them when they visit Sydney as well as Nichidai who seem to have a stronghold when getting selected for the World Championships .

One day I hope to get around to making a similar table with all the rikishi who have competed at the amateur Sumo World Championships. Katrina has a list up until a certain date so I will work backwards until she can find it.

I counted about 20 that have won individual Gold medals but I need to dig out all the results to take into account rikishi who won Silver or Bronze like Endo or those that also got medals in the team events like Ichinojo. I also want to include any that just competed and didn't win medals. There are quite a few juniors who have done well like Osunaarashi or Takanoyama who got bronze as a junior in 2000 along with Minaminoshima. The 2004 Junior worlds was a rich harvest for the stables with Kaisei,Tochinoshin , Tochiozan and Goedo all competing against each other.There wasn't much non-Japanese recruitment after that.

• Like 1

Asashosakari    8,616

After half a year, a much needed update for:

- the juryo debuts by the Nihon University trio of Hidenoumi (last November), Ishiura (March) and Daishomaru (upcoming in May)

- Homasho's intai back in January

- the recent renaming of Matsugane-beya to Nishonoseki-beya

Natsu will be the 10th straight basho without any collegiate makuuchi debut, the longest gap since the late 80s (1987.05-1989.05, 13 basho).

• Like 1

Asashosakari    8,616

Natsu will be the 10th straight basho without any collegiate makuuchi debut, the longest gap since the late 80s (1987.05-1989.05, 13 basho).

The new banzuke topics add another interesting fact - Natsu is also the first time in over 20 years (since Hatsu 1995) that the collegiate rikishi in makuuchi number only 8.
  • Like 1

Asashosakari    8,616

Updated for Nagoya with a bunch of debuts - Takarafuji in sanyaku (first one from Kinki in 35 years), Hidenoumi in makuuchi, and Mitakeumi and Takaryu in juryo.

• Like 1

Asashosakari    8,616

Early Aki update with Shodai, new sekitori out of Tokyo Nogyo after six years.

Edited by Asashosakari

Asashosakari    8,616

Looks like I neglected to make a status post on the last update half a year ago, when I renewed the table code. To wit, the many changes in 2016:

Kyushu 2015: Mitakeumi to makuuchi
Hatsu 2016: Yoshikaze to sekiwake, Shodai to makuuchi, Tsurugisho to juryo, Daido and Tosayutaka intai
Haru 2016: Daishomaru and Akiseyama to makuuchi
Natsu 2016: Ura to juryo
Nagoya 2016: Daiki and Shimanoumi to juryo
Aki 2016: Takarafuji to sekiwake, Tokitenku intai
Kyushu 2016: Mitakeumi to sanyaku, (Daiki->)Hokutofuji and Ishiura to makuuchi, Oyanagi to juryo

And the newest stuff:

Hatsu 2017: Shodai to sanyaku/sekiwake, Daiamami to juryo
Haru 2017: Ura to makuuchi, Asanoyama to juryo
Natsu 2017: (Oyanagi->)Yutakayama to makuuchi

Quite a turnaround from a couple of years ago, when the collegiate presence in makuuchi looked a bit moribund.

• Like 7

Asashosakari    8,616

Recent updates:

Nagoya 2017: Mitakeumi to sekiwake (25th overall), Tobizaru to juryo
Aki 2017: Asanoyama to makuuchi, Yago to juryo

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1