Sign in to follow this  
Kintamayama

Yokozuna/Ozeki preparendum- May 2012

Ozeki Kisenosato trained at home for a change, facing Takayasu and Takanoyama (another rare occurrence) for 38 bouts, winning 37. Last basho he started off on a losing streak and even contemplated going kyujo. "I started off very badly. It took 4-5 days for my body to 'be ready' and for me to get in the flow. When one already loses sight of the yusho leaders in the first half of the basho, it's bad form and a let-down for the fans. I gots to do my best to start off well.." he said some time later. His pre-Haru basho keiko was good, but he admits something was wrong mentally. "I'll do keiko that will build up my confidence," he added still later, as someone swept the dohyo in the background, probably.

Edited by Kintamayama

Newly Ozekied Kakuryuu has declared he will be walking to the KKan (ten minute walk from the heya to the venue) and entering through the regular entry where he can interact with the fans. Upon becoming Ozeki, a rikishi is allowed to enter the KKan basement parking lot so most Ozeki do not see their fans upon arrival. Kakuryuu wished to do it differently. "I would like to please the fans", he said, using the exact words he used upon promotion to Ozeki. Hakuhou walked in to the KKan on day 1 of Hatsu this year for the first time in 6 years. Kakuryuu intends to do that on a daily basis.

Handing out koinobori to kids after his press conference, the people's Ozeki:

20120423-377660-1-L.jpg

Edited by Kintamayama
  • Like 2

That is a pretty brilliant idea, publicity-wise. Sadogatake-beya and Naruto-beya might not be so close (Or are they? I cannot be bothered to check), but it would also have been a powerful PR thingy for the two most recent Japanese Ozeki to enter each morning by passing through the crowd.

That is a pretty brilliant idea, publicity-wise. Sadogatake-beya and Naruto-beya might not be so close (Or are they? I cannot be bothered to check), but it would also have been a powerful PR thingy for the two most recent Japanese Ozeki to enter each morning by passing through the crowd.

Sadogatake and Naruto Beya are not close enough to walk but at least they could get out of the car at the Kokugikan and walk in so that the fans can see them.

Three Ozekis met on the dohyo today at the Nishonoseki rengo keiko held at Matsugane Beya. Kisenosato, Kotoshougiku and Kotooushuu were there, sweating a lot. Kisenosato and Kotoshougiku were especially keen to go against each other-16 bouts in all., Kisenosato winning 10-6 with oshi and yotsu, while Kotoshougiku was looking good too. "I hardly get to train against another Ozeki so I was really into it..." said Kisenosato. Kotoshougiku has a left wrist injury and this was his first training session with sekitori. "I felt good. The wins and losses or the number of bouts here are less important than the 'feel' of training," explained Kotoshougiku. There will be six Ozeki this basho. "I don't feel there is much difference but I would like my presence to be felt," he added.

Kisenosato sweating against the sweaty Kotoshougiku:

20120425-00000033-jijp-000-0-view.jpg

Edited by Kintamayama

The Nishonoseki Ichimon rengo keiko

arrived at Naruto beya today. The three Ozeki took over the dohyo towards the end of the session and went at it earnestly. Kisenosato 13-9, Kotooushuu 7-6, and Kotoshougiku 7-12. "I was so-so. Maybe I should have done more,"quipped Kisenosato upon being told how many bouts he had. Kotoshougiku's left wrist is
. "I gave a lot of thought to every bout I had. Personally, I have a good feeling," he explained later. Kotooushuu did not return my calls.

The caravan will set up its tent at Sadogatake tomorrow.

Edited by Kintamayama

Harumafuji and Kakuryuu both came for degeiko at Tokitsukaze beya and faced each other 24 times. 16-8 to Harumafuji, who continuously baffled Kakuryuu with his low and sharp attacks."When you're late at the tachiai, the flow becomes bad, " said Kakuryuu. Still it was a good session. "it was good. I'll be upping my pace gradually," he said optimistically. "It was a regular session. It's not enough by far.. Kakuryuu was a bit out of breath there.." said Harumafuji.

Edited by Kintamayama
  • Like 1

Kotooushuu did not return my calls.

He finally called me back. "I'd like to yusho again.." he said after the fierce training session today. "6 Ozeki? I'm not sure if that's good or bad.. As their senpai, I really don't want to lose to them," he said.

Yokozuna Hakuhou joined the Tatsunami Ichimon rengo keiko at Asahiyama beya today facing Kakuryuu and Toyonoshima. 14 bouts, won them all, beating Kakuryuu 9-0. "I was well out of my league. Still there are some days till the basho so I will do my best to be prepared," said Kakuryuu, whose trademark speed and fighting spirit were nowhere to be seen.. "Well, it seems we have passed spring and are already in summer, judging by the heat.. The atmosphere was great as was the keiko," commented Hakuhou. Tomorrow is the YDC soken. "It would be great if the 6 Ozeki and myself could mix it together.." he said.

Hakuhou yesterday, went to Tomozuna beya instead of the Tatsunami Ichimon rengo keiko:

G20120428003137990_view.jpg

• Like 1

Ozeki Kakuryuu has been complaining about him "losing his way" and generally not finding his footing in his new position as Ozeki. Today he went for degeiko to Tokitsukaze beya where he faced Gagamaru, Tokitenkuu and Juryo Tosayutaka and Soutairyuu for 22 bouts, going 19-3. "He was so-so today. He didn't look serious and he seems to be tired for all sorts of reasons.. The jungyo, the sudden change of his circumstances.. Maybe after June (after his promotion party..) he will calm down," explained Izutsu Oyakata.

Baruto trained at home with Kaihou x 10 and was 14-2. "I'm in pretty good shape. I'm able to go about it seriously, " he said. He has barely been able to rest-two days only since the end of the jungyo on April 8th. "Some days I think I should give my body a rest but since I wake up every day at the same time, I just say to myself that I should move my body.." he added.

Edited by Kintamayama

Hold on, didn't Kakuryu throw up a smoke screen just before the last basho, citing a "minor injury"?

If he's only out of sorts, attitude wise, he'll most likely zensho this time round!

Hakuhou went to Naruto beya for degeiko and had 20 bouts against Kisenosato, overwhelming him 19-1. "At this juncture I am trying all kinds of stuff and I feel I'm in good shape," he said. He was also seen giving advice to Takayasu and even shouting and reprimanding him..

Kakuryuu went to Tokitsukaze beya for degeiko. and had 24 bouts in all against sekitori, 11 of them against Toyonoshima. He won 21 of the bouts, finally managing to do some calm sumo after being very nervous lately. "I have two more keiko days so I will be concentrating. My rhythm is much better.." he said.

Edited by Kintamayama
  • Like 1

Hakuhou went to Kasugano for degeiko today and had 15 bouts against Aoiyama and others. He tried all kinds of stuff- oshi, yotsu etc.. "I was reaffirming my moves. I sweated well in my own way," he said. He is aiming for his 23rd yusho. Next records are Kitanoumi's 24 and Asashouryuu's 25. "There's no special record at stake this basho but I have my fighting spirit.. I just want to get a good result - the rest will follow," he summed.

Kakuryuu was at Tokitsukaze yesterday, bumping into the likes of Gagamaru and Asasekiryuu and going 23-1. His Oyakata is trying to instill some wiliness in him. "Usually he is this quiet guy on the dohyo. I'd like for him to be more like ex-Tochnishiki- someone who can 'burn up' the dohyo with his enthusiasm," said his Oyakata. "Oyakata is right- My sumo has been a bit too calm..If I could do more tenacious sumo like Tochinishiki it would be great.." added Kakuryuu.

Pedicure:

sp-20120503-002-ns-big.jpg

Edited by Kintamayama