Sign in to follow this  
salle

Ozeki Kotoshogiku blitz interview at russian website

Disclaimer: Below is an amateur translation from http://www.japan-sumo.ru/?q=node/867 using my not very good knowlege about both Russian and English.

Question: We very much wanted to know. Every time before bout your are doing something with your left hand as if you are crossing yourself. What does that gesture mean? You are a Christian?

Answer (smiling): This way I conscerate my body and free my heart. But I do not cross myself. I draw in the air character (kanji ?) symbolizing heart. This means I enter the bout without any extraneous thoughts and with maximum faith in myself.

Q: Why are you doing this with left hand?

A: I am left handed. I also throw the salt with left hand.

Q: Is it true that your most principal opponent is Kisenosato?

A: Yes, Kisenosato. And Toyonoshima too. I definitely don't want to give to these fighters with whom I entered professional sumo together. We started the way of rikishi at the begining of 2002. It was terrible shame when they manage to climb erlier than me to the elite divisions juryo and makkuuchi. I think this acute rivlary with them was the main reason for me to occupy shuch high rank on the banzuke.

Q: How do you and Kisenosato deal together outside of the dohio?

A: We are friends. When visiting various regions in Japan during jungyo we have a dinner together. But the closer the friendship the more irreconcilable our rivlary on the dohyo.

Q: Are you going to do eveything possible to prevent Kisenosato win tournament before you?

A: Yes, indeed.

Q: Tell us please how did you came to sumo?

A: The former Sadogatake oyakata (yokozuna Kotozakura) paid attention on me when I was 8 year old. I was in third grade and was slighly larger than my coevals. We agreed that when I grow up I will join Sadogatake beya.

Q: You love sumo since childhood?

A: My love to sumo was inspired by my grandfather. When I was very little boy he built for me a real dohyo in front of the house. I was also encouraged by meeting with Takanohana. I was about 8-9 when strongest rikishi visited our town. Takanohana did put me on his knees and we took pictures together.

Q: Are you happy with doing what you love?

A: Yes. My childhood dream was realized.

Q: Your main weapon is "buldozer-like" gaburi-yori. Don't you aim for diversifying your style with thrusts like Kisenosato did?

A: To me more important than wins and loses is to demonstrate sumo which the audience likes. I am not very tall - just 180 centimeters. That's why I believe I better not diversify my technique, but rather polish "my" hidari-yotsu to climb even higher on the banzuke.

Q: Japanese rikishi did win nor any basho for six years already. When you can please the fans by wining the Emperor's Cup?

A: I set such goal for myself for this year. And I will try very hard to achieve it.

Q: Do you think you can earn the highest rank Yokozuna?

A: I believe I can. But there are many obstacles to overcome.

Q: What do you like besides sumo?

A: Fishing.

Q: What sports are you interested in?

A: Martial arts, baseball. I very much love sports.

Q: Roho and Hakurozan always speak very warmly about you watching your bouts. They asked to convey you warm greetings.

A: Really? I am very happy to hear. Definitely give them my best regards.

• Like 6

Thanks for that :-).

Thanks for the translation! Interesting read, definitely.

A: To me more important than wins and loses is to demonstrate sumo which the audience likes. I am not very tall - just 180 centimeters. That's why I believe I better not diversify my technique, but rather polish "my" hidari-yotsu to climb even higher on the banzuke.

... to no-one's surprise.