Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
hoshidango

Nami Quits- May 11, Noon, Japan Time

26 posts in this topic

Just to add some conflicting information I obtained for some stories behind retirement.

In addition to his famous chronic foot joint problems, he developed irregular heart beat and had to be hospitalized for ten days. At one time "heart was actually stopping". The doctor warned his life is in danger if he continued to attend Sumo.

Consequently he barely had any practise prior to basho and at two last matches he "did not feel any power left in his legs".

Some report says he did have some Keiko after returning from hopital for one day with his juniors. And he told his wife "this(basho) might be it" prior to the tournament.

There were some other stories on pneumonia or cold etc, but there is more consensus in irregular heartbeat story.

For the honour of Nami.

Edited by hoshidango

Really sad to hear this, but hardly unexpected. :-D

Yes,definately not unexpected-Shame though! :'-(

Best of kuck in retirement Nami! :-D

First comments by Nami: "I thought of intai when I was demoted from ozeki but I decided to carry on. Now I feel very satisfied with what I have accomplished. >crying< I want to raise rikishi with strong heart (tsuyoi kokoro) by being a supportive oyakata.

i want to see what Takanohana will do know that his best rikishi is gone......

not the best heya to do keiko.I feel sorry for the lower ranked rikishi there.

good decision though by Nami.

It was getting painfull to see him in the dohyo, even though i have to admit he was never one of my favourites

I called it yesterday (I am not worthy...) He was one of my favorites, but I guess the time is up. Good luck in his post active rikishi years! I hope he finds a good oyakata situation.

I felt really sad watching that interview.

I believe his thought at being retired is that he felt "relieved".

Lets hope Takanohana wont drive him away like Akinshima. . . but I dont have a good feeling watching Takanohana's demeanor at the interview.

Lets hope Takanohana wont drive him away like Akinshima. . . but I dont have a good feeling watching Takanohana's demeanor at the interview.

Aki and Nami might make for a promising Oyakata duo if they could get a stable of their own, although with the way Takanohana has been acting, that would probably only happen as a result of a violent split from Futagoyama. (In so far as something like that would actually be possible in Ozumo...) Is there precedence for oyakata establishing their own heya over the objections of their former shisho?

Didn't Chiyonofuji (Kokonoe) have a bad split with Hokutoumi or something? Or am I remembering wrong. :-) (Laughing...)

Lets hope Takanohana wont drive him away like Akinshima. . .  but I dont have a good feeling watching Takanohana's demeanor at the interview.

In what way was Takanohana's demeanour alarming (asked by one who hasn't seen the interview in question)?

When does nami get his toshiyori name? Will he get Fujishima do you think? This would allow Takanohana to let Aki take the other name (which escapes me just at the moment)

When does nami get his toshiyori name? Will he get Fujishima do you think? This would allow Takanohana to let Aki take the other name (which escapes me just at the moment)

The general theory is that he will be Otowayama. It should become clear rather quickly though.

Aki's situation is rather out of hand right now, but I assume he will eventually become Sendagawa and work in some other stable than Takanohana-beya.

Edited by Yubiquitoyama

Lets hope Takanohana wont drive him away like Akinshima. . .
Edited by Yubiquitoyama

Flying blind here, but isn't one of the heya outside of the usual ichimon. Wouldn't that be some case of not having approval of shisho?

Please enlighten me knowledgeable ones

Flying blind here, but isn't one of the heya outside of the usual ichimon. Wouldn't that be some case of not having approval of shisho?

Please enlighten me knowledgeable ones

I don't know too much about it, but it had to do with the riji elections (board of directors), where Maenoyama (Takadagawa-oyakata) disputed the choice of candidate for Takasago-ichimon and became an independent candidate (who also managed to get elected). This resulted in him being kicked out of the ichimon , and that's where it stands today, although Takadagawa is no longer part of the rijikai.

I think it has happened quite a few times, but one I could immediately find something about was the establishment of the current Oshiogawa-beya [snip]

Thank you very much! (Blinking...)

Some information on official reason for his quitting added at the top. FYI

Don't do that! That is: do add more information, it is highly appreciated. But please don't edit whole topics and posts like that. It gets really confusing. (Blinking...) Better to add info as new posts, or make a new topic. Correcting minor errors and typos is an exception of course. :-P

Don't do that! That is: do add more information, it is highly appreciated. But please don't edit whole topics and posts like that. It gets really confusing. :-( Better to add info as new posts, or make a new topic. Correcting minor errors and typos is an exception of course. :-/

Sorry. OK.

Yubiquitoyama-zeki is just a fountain of knowledge :-/ :-(

Lets hope Takanohana wont drive him away like Akinshima. . .  but I dont have a good feeling watching Takanohana's demeanor at the interview.

In what way was Takanohana's demeanour alarming (asked by one who hasn't seen the interview in question)?

He just looked bored during the interview, and it didn't look as though 'nami consulted him for his decision to retire or that they were particularly close. I think he also said that 'nami was doing poor sumo and there was no point in going on.

One question arising is whether Takanonami really meant Takanohana when he said he had consulted with his shisho... It would surprise me little if it was Futagoyama who did that job and Takanohana was more or less notified after the fact... :-(