Sign in to follow this  
Kintamayama

Videos-Haru 2012- Days 1-15

Tokitenku grew up with Mongolian Sumo which uses a lot of leg tricks. They had been one of his strong suits in Ozumo. He is better at it than most, and is comfortable using them.

Is that what happened on day 9? A leg trick gone very wrong? (Never saw somebody throw a kick like that before....)

It looks like Tenku was going for a ketaguri, and Tocihozan turned into him.

Edited by Asojima

You know i really appreciate Kitataiki, he always puts so much effort into his bouts and today poor bloke he looked in a lot of pain when he fell out the dohyo, i hope he is ok.

The reason i think Kotooshu had a good chance against baruto today is because he was facing someone with a higher centre of gravity like himself, and kotooshu's problem is not strength which he has plenty of, it's balance, no idea if i'm right or wrong hehe.

Some very exciting matches today, thank you Kintamayama :)

• Like 1

You know i really appreciate Kitataiki, he always puts so much effort into his bouts and today poor bloke he looked in a lot of pain when he fell out the dohyo, i hope he is ok.

The reason i think Kotooshu had a good chance against baruto today is because he was facing someone with a higher centre of gravity like himself, and kotooshu's problem is not strength which he has plenty of, it's balance, no idea if i'm right or wrong hehe.

Some very exciting matches today, thank you Kintamayama :)

You could well be right. Many of the more agile sekitori seem to be having better luck with him. I think the 100m sprint he did out of the dohyo on day......6 (I think) showed that his balance is not quite right.

• Like 1

Gagamaru match was clearly matta. I was able to stop video in the moment at 5:59 when Gagamaru's second fist is not yet on the ground, but his opponent is already in the forward movement with hands in the air. Actually, it was so visible that even I have thought it was matta a second after seeing it on the first video viewing.

Takanoyama has escaped one bad position to finally lose again... sigh.

You could well be right. Many of the more agile sekitori seem to be having better luck with him. I think the 100m sprint he did out of the dohyo on day......6 (I think) showed that his balance is not quite right.

Kotooshu's balance is rather famously not right. But I don't think that was Baruto's problem. He seemed very tentative going into the tachi-ai, and didn't look to hit anywhere near as hard as he'd been doing. I think he approaches Osh very cautiously for some reason. It might have been different had he gone all-out.

What's with the spot on Tamawashi's upper leg/thigh/hip ? Didn't notice it before this basho.

What's with the spot on Tamawashi's upper leg/thigh/hip ? Didn't notice it before this basho.

Looking back, it wasn't there on Day 9, but it was there on Day 10. He landed rather hard on that hip in his loss to Kitataiki, so it might be a bruise or scrape he got then.

I just logged in

to say

I THANK YOU

(for all this effort with the videos)

(I am not worthy...)

• Like 1

Perhaps it has already been covered, but has a reason been given why currently there are no videos on sumo reference provided ?

I was absorbed by the high drama with the Takanoyama - Aoiyama bouts, even in the re-match i felt that determining the winner was not easy, i would have given a lot to have been able to understand the judges during their conversations :) being a fan of both rikishi i was happy for Aoiyama and sad for Takanoyama.

I suppose Baruto's loss today means he will probably remain as Ozeki for a while longer at least? it is a pity for him he did not win but he is still a very good Ozeki and that is a great achievement in itself, he must be disappointed over today's bout however, i hope he was not seriously hurt when he fell.

As always thank you kintamayama for your efforts, i greatly appreciate you doing this.

• Like 1

Watching live, I thought the second Takanoyama-Aoiyama was actually more rematch-worthy than the first one. On replay of the second one , I see now that Takanoyama's heel was touching down outside before he and Aoiyama went flying (I thought they had both sailed off in parallel without outside contact at all), but I'm still confused by the torinaoshi call on the first one - looks to me like Takanoyama's stepping out significantly before Aoiyama's left foot also touches ground.

• Like 1

On sort-of request by an eagle-eyed viewer:

Do we know what became of Takeda's mage?

I don't know but a video of his bout against Taikomaru from day 1 is there, also featuring a mageless rikishi.

I don't know but a video of his bout against Taikomaru from day 1 is there, also featuring a mageless rikishi.

Hee. Hee. That is mageless Taikomaru. Takeda had his mage there and also in the video from day 9.

Edited by Asojima

Perhaps it has already been covered, but has a reason been given why currently there are no videos on sumo reference provided ?

True. I have have uploaded videos. I don't know why they aren't embedded.

True. I have have uploaded videos. I don't know why they aren't embedded.

It was a small but hard to find bug. It's fixed now.

Thanks for this excellent service! Super sumo, whizzy witticisms, funky fades, fashionable fonts... what more could anybody want?

• Like 2

Very much appreciate the very well edited day by day videos...

Thanks again, 古賀

• Like 1

Takanoyama's match was exciting (as usual) and i'm really starting to like Asasekiryu too, i have too many favourite rikishi now, i'm not sure that i'm allowed to cheer for so many hehe :D "Survival of the wiliest battle" made me chuckle.

Edit* Tochinoshin cut a pensive figure up there on collecting his free win, it is a pity he's had a bad tournament as he always try so hard, is he high up enough in the ranks to avoid going to Juryo next basho?

Edited by Bugman

As my ability to understand spoken Japanese remains basically non-existent - any kind soul who'd like to tell us what exactly the shimpan decided in this apparently mage-based mono-ii?

Edit* Tochinoshin cut a pensive figure up there on collecting his free win, it is a pity he's had a bad tournament as he always try so hard, is he high up enough in the ranks to avoid going to Juryo next basho?

Yes, even if he loses his last two and finishes 3-12 he should end up somewhere between Maegashira 10-12, I think.

• Like 1