Sign in to follow this  
Exil

Forum Update Discussion

Exil    188

I've only got one tiny little critique.

The "Remember me" box is ticked when you log on. Not a great chore to un-tick it, it's true.

But if you (unnoticed) make a typo in your e-mail or user, you have to fill the boxes in again, only the "Remember" box is not then visible.

Could we have it un_ticked to start with, pretty please?

This has been reported as a bug to Invision many times, but every time it has been flagged as "Working as intended". Their reasoning is that it is more user friendly to have it pre-ticked.

and even if it's all right, if you are a person with a Mac at home plus four regular jobs at four regular computers, some of them will obligingly 'remember' you and some won't. I am getting regularly p***sed at having to type in manually my full (main office) computer name, plus password, before I can access in a place I've been working in once a week for over 20 years.

There's another thing that has been reported countless times. This bug only affects some users and Invision programmers have been unable to reliably replicate it. So I guess it won't get fixed anytime soon. Your best option is to use your browser's built-in password management feature.

What happened to this topic ?Japanese Sumo News Websites

A lot of unformatted text is shown in front.

Version 3.3.2 seems to have fixed it.

Asashosakari    9,188

Version 3.3.2 seems to have fixed it.

On the other hand, space-delimited CODE tables now appear to be screwed up even in text-only mode, not just WYSIWYG. Excellent job, IP.B!

Rk  Player         Nat   W   D   L  GF  GA   GF*   GA*    GD*   Pts 
1  Kameumi        RUS  15   0   0  55   4  1.77  0.13  +1.65  3.00 (3)
2  Pitinosato     GER  14   0   1  46   5  1.48  0.16  +1.32  2.80 (3)
3  Kintamayama    ITA  12   1   2  30  10  0.97  0.32  +0.65  2.47 (3)
4  Asashosakari   CRO  11   2   2  26  10  0.84  0.32  +0.52  2.33 (3)

Edited by Asashosakari

Asashosakari    9,188

Did file uploading get deactivated in the update? I'm now seeing

You can upload up to Uploading is not allowed of files (Max. single file size: 64MB)

in the file attachment section.

Exil    188

Did file uploading get deactivated in the update? I'm now seeing

You can upload up to Uploading is not allowed of files (Max. single file size: 64MB)

in the file attachment section.

A bug in 3.3.2, should be fixed now.

Asashosakari    9,188

Still busted, I'm afraid. Additional permissions issue?

Yubinhaad    6,436

Weird. It's working as normal for me:

post-2101-0-32394100-1339805203_thumb.pn

(BTW, who do I have to bribe, sleep with and/or kill to get 64mb of storage space?!)

Asashosakari    9,188

You attached an image that shows that same image as attached? Do you want to make the universe implode or something? ;-)

• Like 1

Exil    188

Still busted, I'm afraid. Additional permissions issue?

I have checked and re-checked the permissions and I can't see anything wrong. Please check that you haven't exceeded your quota.

(BTW, who do I have to bribe, sleep with and/or kill to get 64mb of storage space?!)

My bed is rather comfortable, but we cannot afford the storage space and/or bandwidth. Maybe try Rapidshare?

You attached an image that shows that same image as attached? Do you want to make the universe implode or something? ;-)

Inception? ;-)

Asashosakari    9,188

I have checked and re-checked the permissions and I can't see anything wrong. Please check that you haven't exceeded your quota.

That seems to have done the trick, but it's left me even more confused. I had 1.3 MB worth of attachments in there from over the years, with a listed 1000 KB quota. (Was this higher at one time?) Deleting a couple of files as a test brought me to 980 KB, which sure enough is reported as 98% usage. However, the post composition window now reads:

You can upload up to 600K of files (Max. single file size: 600K)

Does this refer to the global maximum instead of the space remaining? (And if so, why 1000 in one place and 600 in the other?)

Edited by Asashosakari

Exil    188

That seems to have done the trick, but it's left me even more confused. I had 1.3 MB worth of attachments in there from over the years, with a listed 1000 KB quota. (Was this higher at one time?)

Invision implemented some changes to the attachment system in a recent update. Maybe the limit is now enforced differently. (I think it used to be lower.)

However, the post composition window now reads:
You can upload up to 600K of files (Max. single file size: 600K)

Does this refer to the global maximum instead of the space remaining? (And if so, why 1000 in one place and 600 in the other?)

This is among the things that are broken in the latest version (email notifications being another). I think I read something about those having been hard-coded strings, and that it was "fixed for 3.3.2". (Sigh...)

Asashosakari    9,188

My notifications dropdown appears to be broken as of today. Clicking on it opens...well, nothing, just a short white bar (empty set, so to speak) where normally the last 10 or so notifications would be listed. It's been like that on two different computers and with different browsers, cache clearing hasn't helped.

Edit: Signing out and back in doesn't do anything either.

Edited by Asashosakari

Otokonoyama    590

My notifications dropdown appears to be broken as of today. Clicking on it opens...well, nothing, just a short white bar (empty set, so to speak) where normally the last 10 or so notifications would be listed. It's been like that on two different computers and with different browsers, cache clearing hasn't helped.

Edit: Signing out and back in doesn't do anything either.

I've had the same problem for the last several days.

Exil    188

I've had the same problem for the last several days.

Strange. (Eh?) I assume it's still a problem. Can you see anything out of place in the notification list (My Settings -> My Notifications)?

Asashosakari    9,188

It fixed itself for me as of yesterday.

If I had to hazard a guess - one notification that recently scrolled out of the list was a "[user] has replied to a personal conversation" one. It refers to a conversation that we both had deleted relatively quickly. Maybe there's an issue displaying such notices in the dropdown?

Edit: The user wasn't Otokonoyama, just to make that clear.

Edited by Asashosakari

Otokonoyama    590

In my case it was for notifications where someone had "liked" something I posted. I still cannot view a notifications dropdown as before. Nothing seems amiss in the settings.

Otokonoyama    590

When clicking New Content on the upper right side of the main SF page, the new page sometimes lists posts by some SF members as by Guest. This happens with posts by various members, as well as some of my own posts. The avatar displays correctly, but the member name is Guest.

SFnewcontent.png

Asashosakari    9,188

In my case it was for notifications where someone had "liked" something I posted. I still cannot view a notifications dropdown as before. Nothing seems amiss in the settings.

Yes, those are the bulk of my notifications, too; I'm saying that one of the other type might have broken the display routine for all of them. When you go to My Settings -> My Notifications as Exil mentioned, are the most recent 10 notifications all for 'likes'?

Edited by Asashosakari

Asashosakari    9,188

When clicking New Content on the upper right side of the main SF page, the new page sometimes lists posts by some SF members as by Guest. This happens with posts by various members, as well as some of my own posts. The avatar displays correctly, but the member name is Guest.

FWIW, this seems to be consistent across accounts. The same post as in your screenshot also shows up as "Guest"-originated for me.

Otokonoyama    590

Yes, those are the bulk of my notifications, too; I'm saying that one of the other type might have broken the display routine for all of them. When you go to My Settings -> My Notifications as Exil mentioned, are the most recent 10 notifications all for 'likes'?

No, some of the first ten are replies to and starts of personal conversations.

Exil    188

It fixed itself for me as of yesterday.

If I had to hazard a guess - one notification that recently scrolled out of the list was a "[user] has replied to a personal conversation" one. It refers to a conversation that we both had deleted relatively quickly. Maybe there's an issue displaying such notices in the dropdown?

I thought it might. This could be related to the content (post, PM, etc.) being deleted. You could try deleting the notifications in question (or one by one) and see if that fixes it.

I've never noticed this before. And it doesn't seem to affect the main forum view, just New Content? I'll have to look into this.

There's a new update out which could fix both issues. I can't promise I'll have time to install it this week, though.

Otokonoyama    590

I've never noticed this before. And it doesn't seem to affect the main forum view, just New Content? I'll have to look into this.

There's a new update out which could fix both issues. I can't promise I'll have time to install it this week, though.

Right, just New Content, and not consistently with the same members - save the one in the screenshot.

Exil    188

Right, just New Content, and not consistently with the same members - save the one in the screenshot.

I applied a fix and hopefully we've seen the last of these. Old topics have not been updated but new topics should show correct last poster information.

Asashosakari    9,188

Back again with a search feature complaint...

I could swear it worked right after the forum upgrade (and the fix to manual search), but maybe I just didn't test it sufficiently... I can't seem to search for multiple words now, just complete phrases. I've tried all the usual approaches that work somewhere (+word +word;; word | word;; word and word;; word AND word;; word, word) but everything is either getting ignored or interpreted as a phrase.

I've confirmed this. Manual search now only works with phrases. There is no way to change this without recoding the search functionality. This change does effectively render the manual search useless, so we have no option but to go back to fulltext search.

Is it now completely impossible to search for three-letter words (or "words")? Searching for "YDC" just now gave "no results found", and I think I've confirmed it as a wider issue via "Ama" and "Oga". As it's been years since the fulltext search was previously in operation, I forget if three-letter words were always excluded or just the obvious ones like "the". Either way, it's rather annoying...

Edited by Asashosakari

Exil    188

Is it now completely impossible to search for three-letter words (or "words")? Searching for "YDC" just now gave "no results found", and I think I've confirmed it as a wider issue via "Ama" and "Oga". As it's been years since the fulltext search was previously in operation, I forget if three-letter words were always excluded or just the obvious ones like "the". Either way, it's rather annoying...

Sorry for the delay, I was elsewhere engaged. Anyway, no, it is not possible to search three-letter words, and yes, fulltext search was always like this. (And yes, it is annoying.)