Sign in to follow this  
Exil

Forum Update Discussion

Doitsuyama    958

Had to redo everything. or is there some way this won't happen??

Actually there is... ever wondered why sometimes there is the "Last auto saved: xx:xx:xx" message? I did and searched for the restore feature... just wait a bit in the reply window then the bottom line will have a link like "Restore last auto save".

Kintamayama    17,658

I saw the "Last auto saved: xx:xx:xx" message, but after I left and returned, no "Restore last auto save". Maybe it needs to be enabled or something??

Kintamayama    17,658

OK, got it-after going to "more reply options" the autosave appears..

Good.

Edited by Kintamayama

Asashosakari    8,616

FWIW, I've managed to lose the ability to restore the auto-saved data (despite knowing 100% that it had been saved) by some weird combination of tab-closing-and-opening/back-and-forth-buttoning at least once before, so don't go around trusting it as foolproof.

Kintamayama    17,658

FWIW, I've managed to lose the ability to restore the auto-saved data (despite knowing 100% that it had been saved) by some weird combination of tab-closing-and-opening/back-and-forth-buttoning at least once before, so don't go around trusting it as foolproof.

I'm using the special "moti-save" function from now on in any case..

Vikanohara    170

"End of Support for Internet Explorer 6 and 7"

-> Silly question, but how do you check your IE version ?

Asashosakari    8,616

Side request from the araibira succession discussion - any way to make the [media] tag template compatible with timecoded Youtube URLs, e.g.

?

Edit: Manually changing the #t=300s anchor into a &t=300s parameter makes the player appear, but the parameter gets ignored by the template. (It

on Youtube itself though, so that approach is clearly supported there.) Edited by Asashosakari

Bugman    272

A small question not worth a new thread, but is there any chance of us getting a few more likes to allocate per day? maybe just during basho's? it's true that i have as much control over my like points as i do over my wallet (ie none) but there's just too many people posting cool things these days, i find myself to have run out often :(

Edited by Bugman

Akinomaki    14,099

tried to give manekino's posting a "like", but got an error message i reached the quota for today

it was my first attempt and it was turned down in the process

Should be fixed now. Regular and Active members now get 5 'likes' per 24 hours. Um, yay? ;-)

After using my quota, I go that same error the next day on my first try.

Doitsuyama    958

tried to give manekino's posting a "like", but got an error message i reached the quota for today

it was my first attempt and it was turned down in the process

Should be fixed now. Regular and Active members now get 5 'likes' per 24 hours. Um, yay? ;-)

After using my quota, I go that same error the next day on my first try.

Your complaint doesn't really jive with Exil's statement. Are you sure it's more than 24 hours since your fifth last 'like'?

But really, welcome on the forum Achim. I still remember you well as the "non-Tokyo ozeki" in hoshitori.

Akinomaki    14,099

Your complaint doesn't really jive with Exil's statement. Are you sure it's more than 24 hours since your fifth last 'like'?

But really, welcome on the forum Achim. I still remember you well as the "non-Tokyo ozeki" in hoshitori.

Not 24 hours, only the next day - but when looking at the Japan time clock on the forum top, that would still be the same day, I fear. Although I'm sure my first of the 5 "Like" was on another (Japan) day.

I'm starting to enjoy the forum with that warm welcome here. But after losing my hoshitori rank I stopped all game activity.

Akinomaki    14,099

I think new users should have an initial quota of about 20 "Likes",

they have to read a lot more older postings

- and to remember for which I wanted to click "Like" and come back later with the new quota is too much.

Flood control is nagging when trying to find the right topic to post or read, esp. with long phrases when finding nothing and quickly searching again.

What good a search function when it tells you to to wait 20 seconds every now and then?

Exil    187

First off, welcome to the forum. (Welcome...)

I think new users should have an initial quota of about 20 "Likes",

they have to read a lot more older postings

- and to remember for which I wanted to click "Like" and come back later with the new quota is too much.

You might be able to persuade me to raise the quota to 10. 20 I think is too much, especially for new members who are more likely to go overboard with liking everything they see. In my opinion a 'like' should have some 'weight' to it, the like system is not just a neat toy, or a social engineering tool.

Flood control is nagging when trying to find the right topic to post or read, esp. with long phrases when finding nothing and quickly searching again.

What good a search function when it tells you to to wait 20 seconds every now and then?

Glad you've found use for the search function. Actually, the high limit is because the old search was so resource-intensive. I've now lowered the search timeout to 10 seconds for all user groups.

Akinomaki    14,099

You might be able to persuade me to raise the quota to 10. 20 I think is too much, especially for new members who are more likely to go overboard with liking everything they see. In my opinion a 'like' should have some 'weight' to it, the like system is not just a neat toy, or a social engineering tool.

I started to use "Like" only after knowing my way around the Forum a bit, but you may be right that it should be kept controlled.

I see and use it for once as a bookmark to look again at my most liked posts - and to find out what others like as well. For which period will that list be kept ? I didn't find a lot about that function in my searches. Wouldn't be a result list like in search be better than displaying all the posts immediately ? It could show older "likes" then as well.

Vikanohara    170

I don't get all the fuzz about like buttons. It's not that we are competing in a popularity contest, are we ?

Bugman    272

I don't get all the fuzz about like buttons. It's not that we are competing in a popularity contest, are we ?

No of course, but it's nice to be able to let someone know you read and especially liked what they contributed, if like me you don't have much to say that is "qualified" if i can put it that way, looking back i realise that my posts are pretty pointless if i'm brutally honest with myself, there's no knowledge or experience behind them, so a simple "like" spares other people having to read my waffling posts which are essentially just saying "thank you".

I'm all for the likes being raised, should that be considered appropriate :)

• Like 1

Akinomaki    14,099

I don't like the "Mark as read" button on the left of a forum. It is too similar to the "new post" button left to a topic when lighting up. While clicking on the second gets me to the post I want to read, the first lets me lose all that information. I keep clicking on the first and then have to search manually.

It should light up and take me to the forum like clicking on the forum name.

It is not much effort to have to open the forum and click "Mark as read" there.

Exil    187

I started to use "Like" only after knowing my way around the Forum a bit, but you may be right that it should be kept controlled.

I see and use it for once as a bookmark to look again at my most liked posts - and to find out what others like as well. For which period will that list be kept ? I didn't find a lot about that function in my searches. Wouldn't be a result list like in search be better than displaying all the posts immediately ? It could show older "likes" then as well.

The like system has only been around since February, so we're still sort of experimenting with it. The like list isn't really supposed to be used like a search function, but you can always contact Invision with a feature request.

I don't like the "Mark as read" button on the left of a forum. It is too similar to the "new post" button left to a topic when lighting up. While clicking on the second gets me to the post I want to read, the first lets me lose all that information. I keep clicking on the first and then have to search manually.

It should light up and take me to the forum like clicking on the forum name.

It is not much effort to have to open the forum and click "Mark as read" there.

This has been around since, what, IPB version 1.2 so it's unlikely to change anytime soon.

If I may offer my solution for marking things as read: Read all the stuff you're interested in, then choose from the bottom of the window "Mark Community Read">"Mark all as Read".

Courtesy of someone else in this thread who helped me finding this option again in the new layout.

ronnie    210

I've only got one tiny little critique.

The "Remember me" box is ticked when you log on. Not a great chore to un-tick it, it's true.

But if you (unnoticed) make a typo in your e-mail or user, you have to fill the boxes in again, only the "Remember" box is not then visible.

Could we have it un_ticked to start with, pretty please?

Orion    420

I've only got one tiny little critique.

The "Remember me" box is ticked when you log on. Not a great chore to un-tick it, it's true.

But if you (unnoticed) make a typo in your e-mail or user, you have to fill the boxes in again, only the "Remember" box is not then visible.

Could we have it un_ticked to start with, pretty please?

and even if it's all right, if you are a person with a Mac at home plus four regular jobs at four regular computers, some of them will obligingly 'remember' you and some won't. I am getting regularly p***sed at having to type in manually my full (main office) computer name, plus password, before I can access in a place I've been working in once a week for over 20 years.

Orion