Sign in to follow this  
Exil

Forum Update Discussion

Kintamayama    17,680

So does this mean we can't embed videos anymore? Oh..

Yes, you can still post videos. Just put the URL in your post where you want the video to appear.

Thanks.

Fukurou    338

I have a question about links.

In the previous forum version, when I created a link to another forum message the link created would cause a 2nd window to open for the linked information. In this forum version, the linked information opens in the same window. Is this new/different window behavior default for this version?

(I know it's not my browser settings - I have linked windows opening both ways on other sites)

Edited by Fukurou

Yubinhaad    6,325

Quote marks only made a difference in that it resulted in differently broken output. I can't consistently reproduce it though - I got the bug when I first tried to include an example in this comment, but not on subsequent attempts. Hmm. I'll see if I can track it down a bit more definitively.

FWIW, I initially couldn't get the old URL tags to work either after the update, leading to my question somewhere in the middle of page 4 which Jakusotsu kindly answered. Since then I've only used the new way (shiny button, yay! ;-)), but I've now noticed that the old tags seem to work again. Here's a test:

[url="http://www.sumoforum.net"]Forum[/url]

And here's what that comes out as outside of the code box:

Forum

Asashosakari    8,618

FWIW, I initially couldn't get the old URL tags to work either after the update, leading to my question somewhere in the middle of page 4 which Jakusotsu kindly answered. Since then I've only used the new way (shiny button, yay! ;-)), but I've now noticed that the old tags seem to work again.

Yeah, that's exactly what I was observing - sometimes tags entered manually get mangled (despite being coded correctly), sometimes they work fine. Maybe an issue with badly cached forum scripts or something...

FWIW, the issue seemed to be that sometimes the parser wasn't recognizing where the URL ends, so e.g. in your CODE-boxed link above it was acting as though

]Forum[/url]

was still part of the address, and then the parser tried to salvage it into a properly formed URL entry, leading to something like this:

[url=[url="http://www.sumoforum.net]Forum[/url]"Forum[/url]

Or rather, that was the old bug; the one yesterday simply deleted everything after the .net for an incomplete tag.

If it has resolved itself now, all the better. :-)

Fukurou    338

In the previous forum version, when I created a link to another forum message the link created would cause a 2nd window to open for the linked information. In this forum version, the linked information opens in the same window. Is this new/different window behavior default for this version?

Since the last few messages have been about URLs, here's a clarification of the process I use to create the links I use in the thread about rikishi participation in a basho: I do it using the forum tools, not manually. That is, I click on the message number of the target message to be linked to (upper right of the message), copy that URL, highlight the text to be linked in the originating message, click the tool icon for links, paste in the copied URL, and click OK.

Randomitsuki    1,196

Two or three times it happened that I wrote a reply, but it wasn't displayed after I hit the send button - only a refresh made it appear. Anybody else had the same problem?

Kintamayama    17,680

Calendar Events,

Haru basho occurs on the 3rd of November?

Probably somewhere along the line the 3/11 became an 11/3 and vice versa..

Manekineko    190

Two or three times it happened that I wrote a reply, but it wasn't displayed after I hit the send button - only a refresh made it appear. Anybody else had the same problem?

Me two.

Randomitsuki    1,196

Me two.

It appears that I will only get an updated and refreshed page if I use the "Reply to this topic" button in the top right corner. No refresh by entering into the textbox at the bottom, and also no refresh after using the quote button of a post.

Asashosakari    8,618

It appears that I will only get an updated and refreshed page if I use the "Reply to this topic" button in the top right corner. No refresh by entering into the textbox at the bottom, and also no refresh after using the quote button of a post.

Try closing all tabs for the forum, then clear your browser cache...as mentioned above, the scripts seem a bit flaky at times. I recall seeing that "post disappears into the void after submitting, but it's there on reload" issue right after the upgrade, but not lately.

Edit: Testing something while I'm at it - I used to have that problem on edits, too.

Edit edit: That works fine nowadays, too.

Edited by Asashosakari

Exil    187

Okay, let's catch up on things. The calendar is finally working as it should. I hope.

I could swear it worked right after the forum upgrade (and the fix to manual search), but maybe I just didn't test it sufficiently... I can't seem to search for multiple words now, just complete phrases. I've tried all the usual approaches that work somewhere (+word +word;; word | word;; word and word;; word AND word;; word, word) but everything is either getting ignored or interpreted as a phrase.

I've confirmed this. Manual search now only works with phrases. There is no way to change this without recoding the search functionality. This change does effectively render the manual search useless, so we have no option but to go back to fulltext search.

Text in code boxes is all over the place, for example in Doitsuyama's full banzuke or daily results posts.

But as nobody else has mentioned it, I'm wondering if I'm having a display issue or if I need to change a setting somewhere?

This bug is still unresolved and may take a while to fix.

I don't know if it's adjustable on the forum side, but I can confirm that the behaviour of links within the sumoforum.net domain has changed from the previous version, they do now open on the same page/tab, like and have always done.

This is working as intended, apparently. Internal links will now open in the same window/tab.

I couldn't confirm this bug. If you find a way to replicate the issue, let me know. And, FWIW, my money is on CKEditor bug...

The new version relies heavily on AJAX, and this might happen from time to time when using quick reply. It's more of an annoyance, really. The More Reply Options page should not suffer from this issue.

Julian calendar? ;-) This is apparently not a bug. Go figure.

Was that all? Well, it was a lot. I'm still investigating a few issues, though. I'll keep you posted.

Naganoyama    1,923

What was the last word on HTML posting? It appears that it is intended to be supported still under the Special BBCode menu but I couldn't seem to get it to work.

Naganoyama    1,923

OK. Looks like I just have to use the table. It generates lots of whitespace before the start of the table - I didn't think of paging down and that's why I thought it didn't work at all! I can't see quite what I could have done differently so I assume that there is still a bug, just not quite such a bad one.

Exil    187

What was the last word on HTML posting? It appears that it is intended to be supported still under the Special BBCode menu but I couldn't seem to get it to work.

HTML posting is disabled. The

tag is just for displaying HTML code.

[quote name='Naganoyama' timestamp='1331476619' post='217319']
OK. Looks like I just have to use the table. It generates lots of whitespace before the start of the table - I didn't think of paging down and that's why I thought it didn't work at all! I can't see quite what I could have done differently so I assume that there is still a bug, just not quite such a bad one.[/quote]
The whitespace is there because the table contains newlines. Remove all newlines and whitespace between the tags, i.e make it look like this [code][table][tr][td]1[td][/td][td]2[/td][/tr][tr][td]3[/td][td]4[/td][/tr][/table][/code]

and it should work.

Asashosakari    8,618

Huh, threads with codeboxes seem to hang up my browser right now (FF 3.6.latest on XP), and I can reproduce it every time on any new thread by Naganoyama or Doitsuyama. Or maybe I should say "large codeboxes", as the tiny one two posts above seems to be okay... I repeat myself today, but: Weird.

I'll try to see what my home system (same browser, but Win7) does later tonight. I guess it's possible that my work computer has had this issue ever since the forum update, and I just hadn't encountered it due to lack of codeboxing between bashos...

Edit: It appears to die while loading content from plusone.google.com and/or ssl.gstatic.com, but that could be coincidental.

Edit 2: And apparently it's not dead altogether, it just takes around five minutes for the browser to become available again...

Edit back again: Works fine at home, so I guess my work system is just crap. (Shouldn't have thrown off all the assembled junk a few weeks ago, it's working worse now than it did before...)

Edited by Asashosakari

Asashosakari    8,618

OK, the thread is back. It's locked for the moment, and you are advised not to touch anything while we figure out what to do with it. (Over 5000 tags? (Blinking...) The software has a limit of 500 per post.

Just did some testing - I take it the hardcoded limit is 500

[td][/td]

or

[td2][/td2]

pairs per post? Cells beyond that are not interpreted, but there seems to be no limitation on [tr]'s, [th]'s,

's and other tags, as far as I can see. I had figured all markup was counting, but apparently not.

Edited by Asashosakari

Exil    187

Edit back again: Works fine at home, so I guess my work system is just crap. (Shouldn't have thrown off all the assembled junk a few weeks ago, it's working worse now than it did before...)

I'm glad it worked out. I was worried there for a moment... ;-)

Just did some testing - I take it the hardcoded limit is 500

[td][/td]

or

[td2][/td2]

pairs per post? Cells beyond that are not interpreted, but there seems to be no limitation on [tr]'s, [th]'s,

's and other tags, as far as I can see. I had figured all markup was counting, but apparently not.

I'm not sure how it works, as it is an undocumented limitation. It doesn't really make a whole lot of sense for the parser to not count certain tags, but who knows. How did you come to this conclusion?

Doitsuyama    958

How did you come to this conclusion?

Probably as he said... the scientific method... trial and error.

Exil    187

Probably as he said... the scientific method... trial and error.

Yeah, I guessed that. :-) What I was wondering was if he did test it by, say, adding empty [tr] or

tags--which the parser might just skip.

Asashosakari    8,618

Yeah, I guessed that. :-) What I was wondering was if he did test it by, say, adding empty [tr] or

tags--which the parser might just skip.

All td or td2 cell tag pairs after the 500th overflow into regular text above the table. Adding other tags to a thus-calibrated table should make more cell pairs overflow, but it doesn't. What I did was add alignment tags to filled cells (which kept the overflow the same), and changing td's to th's (which caused one fewer cell to overflow).

Although I'll have to correct myself on one point; apparently the 500 tag pair limit is handled separately for td and td2 for up to 1000 cells. I didn't test mixed tables yesterday, so I didn't notice. And apparently the limit is 501 after all, not 500 (I thought I miscounted yesterday and didn't believe myself).

See the test table I'm about to post in the testing area.

Edit: Some new discoveries over there. Feel free to kill the test thread if it's too taxing on the system.

Edited by Asashosakari

Asashosakari    8,618

Have the timeout settings changed? The collegiate sekitori thread seems off-limits again, and I'm getting occasional timeouts when trying to make larger table posts, even if they're inside that 500-tag limit, e.g. trying to edit this post to remove the damaged second table doesn't work at all even though the thread displays fine. (The 2009 kensho tables are slightly smaller and editing barely works, the 2008 version is larger again and does not.)

Edited by Asashosakari

Exil    187

All td or td2 cell tag pairs after the 500th overflow into regular text above the table. Adding other tags to a thus-calibrated table should make more cell pairs overflow, but it doesn't. What I did was add alignment tags to filled cells (which kept the overflow the same), and changing td's to th's (which caused one fewer cell to overflow).

Although I'll have to correct myself on one point; apparently the 500 tag pair limit is handled separately for td and td2 for up to 1000 cells. I didn't test mixed tables yesterday, so I didn't notice. And apparently the limit is 501 after all, not 500 (I thought I miscounted yesterday and didn't believe myself).

See the test table I'm about to post in the testing area.

Edit: Some new discoveries over there. Feel free to kill the test thread if it's too taxing on the system.

I see. It looks like it's 501 for each tag. So technically you could make two tables of ~500 tags in one post, one using [td] and one using [td2]. Unless there are further limitations on the total number of tags.

Have the timeout settings changed? The collegiate sekitori thread seems off-limits again, and I'm getting occasional timeouts when trying to make larger table posts, even if they're inside that 500-tag limit, e.g. trying to edit this post to remove the damaged second table doesn't work at all even though the thread displays fine. (The 2009 kensho tables are slightly smaller and editing barely works, the 2008 version is larger again and does not.)

No, I haven't changed any settings. Oh my. It seems that the collegiate thread has fallen out of cache. :-( That is unfortunate. We'll have to wait until the end of the basho before we can attempt to recache it. And yeah, editing those large tables might not be possible. It doesn't even work with the plain-text editor. Adding a post editor to the to-do list...