Sign in to follow this  
Exil

Forum Update Discussion

Asojima    1,704

How do I mark all posts as read?

Lower left. Mark Community Read

Asojima    1,704

Right, the fact that the X only appears when you actually mouse over the widget was a surprise to me.

What browser are you using, if I may ask? I'm using IE8, and I see the black 'x' box without mousing anywhere near it, in fact it seems to float just over a tiny 'x' which sits on the recent topics bar.

The x's are permanently displayed in IE8. In Firefox, they only appear on a mouseover.

Edited by Asojima

Asashosakari    8,618

Right, the fact that the X only appears when you actually mouse over the widget was a surprise to me.

What browser are you using, if I may ask? I'm using IE8, and I see the black 'x' box without mousing anywhere near it, in fact it seems to float just over a tiny 'x' which sits on the recent topics bar.

The x's are permanently displayed in IE8. In Firefox, they only appear on a mouseover.

And apparently only newer Firefoxes show both. On 3.6.26 I don't get the smaller x at all. Also, my IE9 shows both x's only on mouseover, so apparently there are differences between IE versions as well.

Edit: I assume the button to bring the Recent Posts back (see pic) works the same on each browser as the x's do.

sumoforumpage3.png

But, how do the buttons to hide/show subforums appear on IE8 and new FF's? Mouseover or permanent?

sumoforumpage2.png

Edited by Asashosakari

Yubinhaad    6,325

But, how do the buttons to hide/show subforums appear on IE8 and new FF's? Mouseover or permanent?

:-S Mouseover in IE8!

Asojima    1,704

:-S Mouseover in IE8!

Mouseover in FF 10.

Asashosakari    8,618

And apparently only newer Firefoxes show both. On 3.6.26 I don't get the smaller x at all.

Hmm, now it appears. Oh well.

Asashosakari    8,618

For the benefit of newer members who might have just gone through their very first style change: Sumoforum Invision/IP Boards throughout the time.

Invision v1.1 - until mid-2003

Invision v1.2 - until late 2004

Invision v2.0 - until late 2005

Invision v2.1 - until late 2006

IP.Board v?? - used virtually unchanged until last week

I didn't remember that first "Sumoforum Online Community" logo from v2.0 at all...nor that it apparently didn't survive the update to 2.1. I think it's interesting that the new version is back to solid colour backgrounds instead of the colour gradients that were introduced in the first IP.Board version. Substance over style again? :-)

I've got to admit the new design is growing on me quickly. I think v2 took me longer to adjust all those years ago. Exil, many thanks for uncluttering the default setup a bit and adding back all those features that were gone after the update. (I am not worthy...)

One design element that still looks a bit "off" to me - the light-blue "sidebars" (colour code 216/221/232) to the left and right of the forum content. I can't quite decide if they offer too much or too little contrast to the white forum background, but either way: they seem to look too bright compared to the dark-blue double bars at the top of the forum and too dark compared to the white. Maybe something closer to the coloured boxes surrounding the subforum entries (235/240/243) would work better. Or maybe I'm just nitpicking for no reason, hard to tell at this point.

Yubinhaad    6,325

Invision v1.1 - until mid-2003

Invision v1.2 - until late 2004

Invision v2.0 - until late 2005

The only thing I can't figure out is how to make links look like that - the old way doesn't seem to work.

I'm sure it'll be something embarrassingly obvious, but (Help me...)!

Jakusotsu    1,577
The only thing I can't figure out is how to make links look like that - the old way doesn't seem to work.

1. type the name of the link (as it should appear) as normal text

2. highlight that text

3. click the Link button in the toolbar to enter the URL

shimodahito    132

Where are the links to the 'sumo glossary' and 'live stream'? they used to be near the top left area.....

Back now. I hope the design works in all browsers, though.

Thanks... for the links. And I'm also impressed with how quickly and thorough you are with your responses.

Yubinhaad    6,325

1. type the name of the link (as it should appear) as normal text

2. highlight that text

3. click the Link button in the toolbar to enter the URL

(I am not worthy...) Thank you!!

Manekineko    190

Just to report that all (pro'lly) of my old deleted private messages are back, with DELETED stamp next to them. I didn't really check the details, just noticed as I was replying to a PM.

Fukurou    338

Hmm, why have the secondary topic lines disappeared...?

I'm kind of wondering that myself - I know several of us make use of it, especially during basho.

Exil    187

For the record, 2.2.x until June 2007 and 2.3.6 from October 2008 until last week (with security and other minor updates).

One design element that still looks a bit "off" to me - the light-blue "sidebars" (colour code 216/221/232) to the left and right of the forum content. I can't quite decide if they offer too much or too little contrast to the white forum background, but either way: they seem to look too bright compared to the dark-blue double bars at the top of the forum and too dark compared to the white. Maybe something closer to the coloured boxes surrounding the subforum entries (235/240/243) would work better.
I'm just nitpicking for no reason

Well, that's one way to pass the time. ;-)

Just to report that all (pro'lly) of my old deleted private messages are back, with DELETED stamp next to them. I didn't really check the details, just noticed as I was replying to a PM.

The database conversion dumped all messages in the database either from you or to you into your inbox. You may safely delete the ones you don't need. Apologies for the mess, but it was either that or no PMs.

Hmm, why have the secondary topic lines disappeared...?

I'm kind of wondering that myself - I know several of us make use of it, especially during basho.

Topic descriptions are gone. Probably because of the "Started by..." line in the forum view. Looks like you'll have to edit the topic titles from now on.

Asashosakari    8,618

Topic descriptions are gone. Probably because of the "Started by..." line in the forum view. Looks like you'll have to edit the topic titles from now on.

Are they still somewhere in the database or did the descriptions for old topics get dumped altogether in the upgrade?

On the upside, the title length restriction seems to be 150 characters now, so at least the cases in which the descriptions were used for space reasons are covered.

Edited by Asashosakari

Exil    187

Are they still somewhere in the database or did the descriptions for old topics get dumped altogether in the upgrade?

They seem to still be in the database, but there is no way to enable them in the settings.

Yubinhaad    6,325

Text in code boxes is all over the place, for example in Doitsuyama's full banzuke or daily results posts.

But as nobody else has mentioned it, I'm wondering if I'm having a display issue or if I need to change a setting somewhere?

Asashosakari    8,618

Text in code boxes is all over the place, for example in Doitsuyama's full banzuke or daily results posts.

But as nobody else has mentioned it, I'm wondering if I'm having a display issue or if I need to change a setting somewhere?

There seems to be an issue in how non-breaking spaces (or maybe all spaces?) are interpreted; not sure if this is only an issue with the [ code ] tag routine. Take the Hakuho line of Doitsuyama's post as an example - the shikona column is supposed to be 15 characters wide. For "Hakuho" this means it's followed by 9 spaces, and in the WYSIWYG editor view it's correct. In the text-only view however those 9 spaces are converted to 2 tabs and 1 space, apparently on the notion that each tab is exactly 4 characters wide, regardless of position.

And that's how it gets passed on to the routine that actually displays the post, with a mix of tabs and spaces. The problem is that the display view uses a different model of converting tabs back to spaces, namely the usual assumption that each tab pushes the cursor to the (8*n)+1th position. So the first Hakuho tab adds two spaces (filling out the first block of 8 characters), then the second tab is the full 8 chars wide, and then the final space makes it 11 spaces in total, instead of the 9 it was supposed to be, or +2. For other text lengths it deviates by different amounts, so almost nothing lines up.

Asojima    1,704

And that's how it gets passed on to the routine that actually displays the post, with a mix of tabs and spaces. ........... so almost nothing lines up.

The column alinements are also lost if you copy the display and paste it to a Word doc. Before, paste worked right for Word, but not for Open Office. Now neither.

Edited by Asojima

Asashosakari    8,618

Another, perhaps browser-related issue - was the standard encoding of the old forum version also UTF-8? I get lots of funky encoding errors in my old PM's thanks to their featuring a lot of umlauts which I can only fix by switching to ISO-8859 and the like. Conversion issue with old database content...?

My many posts that use non-breaking spaces for formatting (e.g. here) also suffer from that issue. Oh well, at least it should work going forward.

Yubinhaad    6,325

I seem to have found my way around the code box problem, as I've just mended my Mark Sheet table from Hatsu, here.

All I did was click the 'Toggle editing mode' button, then paste in my table (from Notepad, with the gaps using tabs not spaces), then switch back to the normal editing mode, wrap the code tags and voila!

Asashosakari    8,618

I seem to have found my way around the code box problem, as I've just mended my Mark Sheet table from Hatsu, here.

All I did was click the 'Toggle editing mode' button, then paste in my table (from Notepad, with the gaps using tabs not spaces), then switch back to the normal editing mode, wrap the code tags and voila!

That works if you're okay with being limited to 8*n column widths, yes. ;-)

Exil    187

...and that makes it a total of three valentines for Invision support. :-D

Just don't go on a hog-wild editing spree, just in case Invision manages to fix this. You don't want to undo everything tomorrow. ;-)

Another, perhaps browser-related issue - was the standard encoding of the old forum version also UTF-8? I get lots of funky encoding errors in my old PM's thanks to their featuring a lot of umlauts which I can only fix by switching to ISO-8859 and the like. Conversion issue with old database content...?

No, the old board used ISO-8859-1 (or -15), but now we're on UTF-8. I'll have to see if there's something I can do about that.

Edited by Exil

Yubinhaad    6,325

That works if you're okay with being limited to 8*n column widths, yes. ;-)

(Laughing...) I can pretty much guarantee that'll be the limit of my ambition when it comes to stuff like this!

Just don't go on a hog-wild editing spree, just in case Invision manages to fix this. You don't want to undo everything tomorrow. ;-)

It was the shortest editing spree in forum history, probably, as I'm pretty sure that's the only such table I've ever posted. :-D

Oh, and you can add another (Heart...) to the designer - I love the quick navigation button!

Exil    187

One valentine down: we now have a calendar. Have fun. (Online too long...)