Sign in to follow this  
Yubinhaad

Survivors of closed heya

I have tried to capture all the heya openings and closures from 2000 onwards on my website.

Click 'Summary' on the top menu line. The summary view has a double list down the left-hand side. Click on '2002', say, for a summary of the heya at the start of the year and click on 'Changes' to see heya closures (in red), new heya opening (in green) and the various other movements and changes.

• Like 10

Why did the previous Tagonoura-beya rikishi end up in two different heya?

I've updated the top post following the closure of Izutsu-beya, and removed the Isegahama-beya entry as there are no survivors left (quoted below for posterity).

In addition, when Hamamiryu retired recently it occurred to me that there were still four active rikishi who originally made their debut in Mihogaseki-beya but then branched out with either Kise-beya or Onoe-beya. I came to consider them as survivors of a closed heya, so I've added them to the Mihogaseki entry as "survivors remaining via branch-out".

On ‎05‎/‎02‎/‎2012 at 02:13, Yubinhaad said:

Isegahama-beya (previous generation) - Closed February 2007.
Two survivors moved to Kiriyama-beya - Closed January 2011.
Same two survivors moved to Asahiyama-beya - Closed January 2015.
One survivor moved to Isegahama-beya (current generation).

No survivors remaining.

Daiisshin - Retired after 2019 Hatsu
Manazuru - Retired after 2015 Hatsu

• Like 3
  • Thanks 2

12 hours ago, Yubinhaad said:

I've updated the top post following the closure of Izutsu-beya, and removed the Isegahama-beya entry as there are no survivors left (quoted below for posterity).

In addition, when Hamamiryu retired recently it occurred to me that there were still four active rikishi who originally made their debut in Mihogaseki-beya but then branched out with either Kise-beya or Onoe-beya. I came to consider them as survivors of a closed heya, so I've added them to the Mihogaseki entry as "survivors remaining via branch-out".

I believe that Ounabara counts for Izutsu the same way then - the DB seems to be missing the fact that Shikoroyama-beya was only opened after his maezumo basho (and that of another Hatsu 2004 debutant who is already retired).

• Thanks 1