Sign in to follow this  
shimodahito

developing a shikona

Good day all,

Not sure if this belongs here or the off-topic forum so feel free to move it needed.

Got a sumo novice friend who wants to try a few games, but needs a shikona. She wants something related to "Star Gazer" or "one who gazes at stars"

my japanese is limited... but couldn't find a good translation for "gazer" that sounds nice.

'gakusha' (as in tenmongakusha) astronomer translation is 'scholar' so the shikona... hoshigakusha is a bit...well, scholarly, eh?

"to gaze" i think is nagememasu, but it's a verb.... or maybe gyoushi?

hoshigyoushi? hoshinogyoushijin? hoshigyoushijin? second two are a bit long.

in english there is subtle differencen between a gazer, a watcher, and an observer... but i don't know the variations of the japanese verbs.. and then to put it in a "one who gazes at stars" format.

any suggestions or ideas? adding a twist is ok (as sukubidubidu and others do) is ok as long as it stays with the star gazer theme.

sorry, no prize for the best idea/suggestion and all suggestions could be rejected, but thought i'd let the expert sumo forum crew provide input.

-shimodahito

Edited by shimodahito

Hoshishi (星 視) might work. Hoshi - star, Shi - to look at carefully.

Hoshimi?

'Mi' coming from the common verb, 'miru' (to see). It sounds OK at least! And it is also a girl's name in Japanese anyway, although the kanji for the real name is not from 'miru' usually.

Edited by Pandaazuma

How about 愛好家 ? (aikouka) It translates as 'lover' or 'aficionado' and could be combined with either 'hoshi' or 天 (ten/ama) or something.

This way, it conveys the passions of a star gazer without giving the impression of diverted attention.

In my opinion, gyoushi sounds too much like gyouji.

There's also Kinboshi, of course (gold star) or Ginboshi (silver star) etc.

Hoshinoumi (Sea of Stars), 'cause I like the sea.

I'll just add Hiten, which is the name of a Japanese space probe and also apparently means 'Celestial Maiden'.

I would like to offer my suggestions:

天の川  or 天乃川 - in a more traditional style

"Amanogawa" (ama-no-gawa)

which stands for: "milky way" or "galaxy"

and

流星

"Ryuusei" (ryuu-sei)

which means: "shooting star" / "meteorite"

"Amanogawa" (ama-no-gawa)

That's likely to run into issues in some games; there's already a veteran member and game player by that name. :-P

thanks for all the suggestions....

Nagareboshi was also suggested... which I think also means shooting star.

Amanogawa is a co-aomori tomodachi... a sweet name, but not under consideration.

It's fantastic to have this forum to solicit!!!!

Genki desu ka, shimodahito?

"Hoshi o miru mono ( one who gazes at stars )" just came to my mind. Lyrical, but sounds more like a book/movie title.

Hoshihitomi 星瞳 - "Hoshi" is star(s). "Hitomi" is the pupils of eyes, to be precise. But actually, 98% of Japanese ( okay, age over 10 ) would have a picture of beautiful, twinkling, sparkling eyes, when they hear the word "hitomi", frilly form of "me (eyes)". So this is a fairly popular name for girls too. Some of you may know a girl named Hitomi and she should have beautiful eyes. Twinkles on beautiful eyes can imply, I guess, that the person is looking at something/someone so closely with heart (Heart...) , or maybe, gazing at stars and the bright eyes are reflecting starlights...? A little romantic twist desu.

Arigato Amanogawa! Genki. And hope you are as well.

I will pass your suggestions, but right now she is leaning towards -- Hoshiaikouka... not sure how that rings. I like both of your suggestions!