Sign in to follow this  
Kintamayama

Sad, sad news

I knew it was coming, but it still seems so... sudden. (Yusho winner...)

I'm often at a loss for words at times like this... All I can say is that Bob was such a honest, giving and brave person...

He will be missed.

Bob Reimer (Kofuji) has passed away. We all know how huge a place he held in the Sumo fan community and what the size of his daily contributions were.

He will be missed in a gigantic way.

It's a very sad day for the whole sumo fan community. Bob will be missed forever and he always will be in our thoughts..

To the family and loved ones of Bob I would say:

Hope you find confort in knowing how your loved one touched the lives of so many others, and gave them the gift of happy memories.

To Bob:

Rest in peace!!!

With deapest sympathy!

Edited by Achiyama

Bob, goobye!... May your soul rest in peace now. You will be missed... (Yusho winner...)

:'-( :'-( :'-(

Rest in peace Bob and thanks again for everything... (Yusho winner...)

I did not know Bob in any real sense, although I admired him as the respectable and knowledgeable member of this community that he was. The opening post to his "intai" thread reveals a person of outstanding courage and strength. It is clear that by not getting to know him better, I missed out on the acquaintance of a great man.

My deepest condolences go to all his friends and family.

(Yusho winner...) :'-( I wish we could call a matta. We had Bob for much too short of a time.

I think, though, that by the way that he touched all of us, we can truly call "Kofuji no kachi!".

We'll miss you, Bob. I hope to see you again someday in a better place.

Deepest sympathy to Bob's family and friends. Wish I'd met him.

Orion

RIP Bob
When the time comes, a memorial gift to the International Cancer Advocacy Network would be most appropriate if you care to do so.

Bob's final wish.

Jyoubutsu, Bob Reimer.

Making a memorial gift to the International Cancer Advocacy Network online was very easy to do, and took less than 5 minutes.

Ditto. The ICAN donation process is very straightforward.

While Bob's passing is not welcome news, it is comforting to think that his suffering has ended. I wish his loved ones lots of strength to deal with their grief.

Lastly, thanks again Kofuji!

I'm another one who spent a lot of time around Bob in sumo games and sumo generally, but never got the chance to meet him in real life; I wish I had. Even though he prepared us for this day, it still came so suddenly now... Rest in peace, Bob, you won't ever be forgotten.

Orion

Oh, you met him (together with me)-you sat next to him in the chanko dinner a century ago..

dinner.jpg

No miracles.

He was a very kind and courageous man and the outpouring of emotion here and in his intai thread makes that very clear.

May he rest in peace!

Orion

Oh, you met him (together with me)-you sat next to him in the chanko dinner a century ago..

dinner.jpg

Oh, thanks for this! Stewart on my left is still with us, so that must be Bob half-obscured on the other side. I'm glad that I did, in fact, meet this great sumo fan -- as you say, about a century ago (that was the time you came with presents from Israel for Hoshitango, and afterwards asked "Who was that other foreigner sitting in front of Dewanoumi-beya?" and later kicked yourself for not knowing it was the other Argentinian, who subsequently decamped leaving no forwarding address). Goodness! how long ago it seems. But it was a great dinner, and all thanks to the Kawasaki? Yokohama? undertakers (resurrection men) who set it up.

Orion, who has been around too long, and is now gearing up for yet another (very expensive) dampatsushiki on Sunday ....

A terrible loss for sumo fans everywhere. His contributions to the community will be remembered. (Yusho winner...) Rest in peace, Bob.

Would someone mind doing a who's,who in the photograph?

I could guess but I dont wanna make a fool of myself..

dinner.jpg

Most of these people were members of the SML (this was pre-forum) and nearly all of them are not members of the forum.

Right to left: (counter-clockwise, if you will..)

Donald Wilson (Donaldnodebu), Stewart Nelson, the one and only Doreen Simmons,

Bob Reimer ( Kofuji) and wife Barbara, standing is Yasuko Otomo, (Donald's better half),

Ray Michel (Bakanonada), some bald guy that came along for the free beer,

the masterful Rob Hoey, Michael Levitt, Kenji Tierney, and Shane Booth (Okimura).

Edited by Kintamayama

dinner.jpg

Most of these people were members of the SML (this was pre-forum) and nearly all of them are not members of the forum.

Right to left: (counter-clockwise, if you will..)

Donald Wilson (Donaldnodebu), Stewart Nelson, the one and only Doreen Simmons,

Bob Reimer ( Kofuji) and wife Barbara, standing is Yasuko Otomo, (Donald's better half),

Ray Michel (Bakanonada), some bald guy that came along for the free beer,

the masterful Rob Hoey, Michael Levitt, Kenji Tierney, and Shane Booth (Okimura).

Thanks...

I did recognise you then.......

Shane Booth looks a lot like me,only shorter hair....

I have just come back from my holiday to learn about this incredibly sad news.

My deep, deep regret (which will haunt me for some time), is that Bob and his wife Barb had planned to make a reciprocal visit (I visited them in the UAE a couple of years back) to Hong Kong around October of last year. At the time, I was unaware of the true seriousness of Bob's state (he was so full of vitality when I last met him), and due to a couple of things then going on in my own life (which now seem so minor), we agreed to postpone the visit until some time this year.

Bob, I am so sorry that I had a chance to talk sumo (and dragonflies), with you one last time - but I blew it.

the masterful Rob Hoey,

For completion, Rob's shikona is/was 'Robanoumi'.

What a sad, great loss... so many lives in so many ways you touched and left inspired.. Please rest in peace Kofuji.

A message to the Sumo Forum, from Kofuji's wife, Barb Reimer-

Dear Sumo friends:

I want to thank you all for the warm outpouring of affection and respect you gave to my husband, Kofuji. During the last days of his life, your messages gave him much-appreciated strength and encouragement. Bob loved meeting and spending time with many of you, and was amazed at the notes from people he had never met personally. On his desk now sit a little sumo wrestler on a red cushion, with a beautiful, delicate dragonfly hovering over him ... a juxtaposition of his two main passions.

Bob waited eagerly for each basho, and I would hear about his results each day -- victory or defeat. To the end of his personal struggle, he fought valiantly and courageously, despite the odds, as any great sumo wrestler would do. The cancer may have defeated him physically in the end, but his spirit was victorious.

I wish you all the best in each and every basho.

Barb Reimer