Sign in to follow this  
Washuyama

Hatsu Yusho for Baruto!

He swore this was the basho, but I wasn't so sure. He didn't look very happy during his post Hakuho loss interview. I think it was a shock to win it so early and a bit of a downer to win it on a rare 3 losses in a row streak by Hakuho. I am sure he is gunning to beat Hakuho now and prove he's for real. And I am sure Hakuho would love to take Baruto down to prove he still has it.

I looked it up, Hakuho hasn't lost 3 in a row since the last three days of his first basho at yokozuna. If he bounced back from that, he can certainly bounce back from this.

He swore this was the basho, but I wasn't so sure. He didn't look very happy during his post Hakuho loss interview. I think it was a shock to win it so early and a bit of a downer to win it on a rare 3 losses in a row streak by Hakuho. I am sure he is gunning to beat Hakuho now and prove he's for real. And I am sure Hakuho would love to take Baruto down to prove he still has it.

I looked it up, Hakuho hasn't lost 3 in a row since the last three days of his first basho at yokozuna. If he bounced back from that, he can certainly bounce back from this.

Three out of four. He beat Kisenosato in between.

(Clapping wildly...)

Time has come to dig out my forum credentials and congratulate Baruto and all his fans :-)

This has been a very exciting couple of weeks...Baruto looked dominating and must demand (Showing respect...)

So this is what its like for your favorite sports team/athlete to win something major... I was beginning to wonder if I'd ever see that again.

I'm trying to wait a couple of days before starting the party, but I think its a losing effort (Showing respect...)

Yes, well done Baruto. From another European :)

I also enjoy seeing those who have managed to overcome Hakuho pick up the 'brick' of envelopes.

a baruto-yusho is not the worst thing to happen in ozumo

a kotooshu-yusho would have been worse......but just by a tiny margin.....

i cannot believe that one ot those stumbling baby-giants can get a yusho

congrats big man!

Estonia should declare a new public holiday.

I guess a million kids over there will start sumo now (Showing respect...)

but still... we need to find out whats wrong with hakuho.

he looked so strong tilll day 10

Well done Baruto! I'm glad to see him come good, he seemed to stumble a bit after becoming ozeki. I'm a Hak fan but it's nice to see Baruto win. Nice to discover this forum as well, I've already learnt a lot :)

Front Page News on msn Japan. Congrats, Baruto! Go for the zensho and tsunadori!

Well done Baruto! I'm glad to see him come good, he seemed to stumble a bit after becoming ozeki.

Many have.

First 10 basho as ozeki:

Baruto - debut 10:5, no makekoshi, 1x 8:7, 2x 9:6, 3x 10:5, 3x 11:4, 1 yusho of yet unknown result

Harumafuji - debut 8:7, no makekoshi, 1x 8:7, 4x 9:6, 4x 10:5, 1 Y 14:1

Kotooshu - debut 10:4, no makekoshi, 3x 8:7, 4x 9:6, 3x 10:5, no yusho.

Estonia should declare a new public holiday.

I guess a million kids over there will start sumo now (Showing respect...)

Actually there is only million of us living here in Estonia (one and half million if we count non-native citizens). So if we have to complete your prediction ALL of us must start doing sumo. From newborns to soondeads :D

Edited by Bix Poku

So this is what's gonna happen: they'll push Baruto to Yokozuna within the next 4 or 5 bashos, and give Kakuryu the free Ozeki spot.

So this is what's gonna happen: they'll push Baruto to Yokozuna within the next 4 or 5 bashos, and give Kakuryu the free Ozeki spot.

There is no such thing as a free ozeki spot. Except for two which must be at all times on the banzuke, but even this can be a yokozuna too. I bet if Kakuryu gets 35 wins in three basho he will get promoted to ozeki, even if all current ozeki stay on their rank.

I don't think Baruto is a stumbling baby giant. For the record.

There is no such thing as a free ozeki spot. Except for two which must be at all times on the banzuke, but even this can be a yokozuna too. I bet if Kakuryu gets 35 wins in three basho he will get promoted to ozeki, even if all current ozeki stay on their rank.

True true. But it's hard to see Kakuryu being promoted as long as there are 5 other Ozeki (in case of coubt the 35 wins won't come about).

I'm curious, what's wrong with Baruto winning the yusho? he seems pretty worthy of the rank of Ozeki to me at least, i can't imagine many rikishi looking forward to take him on, the man is a powerhouse, so why shouldn't he win?

I'm curious, what's wrong with Baruto winning the yusho? he seems pretty worthy of the rank of Ozeki to me at least, i can't imagine many rikishi looking forward to take him on, the man is a powerhouse, so why shouldn't he win?

Gernobono has a slight bias against (mostly Europe/Russia-based) rikishi with bad fundamentals. (Sign of approval...)

Gernobono has a slight bias against (mostly Europe/Russia-based) rikishi with bad fundamentals. (Sign of approval...)

Well, as long as it's slight..

Well done Baruto! I'm glad to see him come good, he seemed to stumble a bit after becoming ozeki. I'm a Hak fan but it's nice to see Baruto win. Nice to discover this forum as well, I've already learnt a lot :)

Welcome to the forum Oliver :)

Forgive me for the rather large amount of questions but by fundamentals do you mean to say Baruto has bad form or posture?

To the untrained eye (my own) he looks like any other rikishi except larger and more powerful than average, to me at least he doesn't appear to be any more ungainly than some other rikishi i've seen on youtube, a couple of which were Yokozuna and seemed to stumble around far worse due to their huge size.

Either way he must be doing something right i guess, if i were a betting man there's not many rikishi that i would put money on to beat him more than 50% of the time, those who can best him often seem to be the Yokozuna and Harumafuji, who of course is a brilliantly exciting wrestler, can't really think of anyone else, kakuryu maybe, he is also excellent.

Edited by Bugman

To the untrained eye (my own) he looks like any other rikishi except larger and more powerful than average, to me at least he doesn't appear to be any more ungainly than some other rikishi i've seen on youtube, a couple of which were Yokozuna and seemed to stumble around far worse due to their huge size.

Well, IMHO, one reason he did so well this basho is that he greatly improved his technique. For instance, one of his typical techniques has been to go for a tsuridashi, taking advantage of his height to reach over his aite's shoulders and lift him up from behind, then try to walk him out. It's spectacular when it works, but it's also very difficult, particularly when you do it so often that it's predictable. On the other hand, when he broke his thumb during his ozeki run a lot of people thought it was finished, but he switched to a more oshi-zumo focused style, and it worked wonderfully. That was Haru 2010 when he went 14-1 and got the jun-yusho; his ozeki promotion followed. Unfortunately (as far as I'm concerned) when his thumb healed he went back to his old ways, and he hasn't done as well since, until now. And now, we're seeing much more of what he did then. I can't imagine what it must be like getting belted in the face repeatedly by someone of his size and strength.

He's still much more a power than a finesse rikishi, but there's absolutely nothing wrong with that.

Edited by Kuroyama

Without going into serious video studies, I might point out that I noted Baruto's general immovabilty this basho. I seem to remember several situations in various bouts, when he happened to be in a disadvantageous position, but nevertheless absorbed any push, pull or throw attempts like a rock. If this is an issue of balance, foot positioning or what, I cannot say. It was enough to notice it, without looking for it. He also seemed pretty patient and cool-tempered. Paired with the rediscovery of oshi skills this translated to a higher percentage of push/thrust wins, as opposed to pull/thrust down losses.

If it's going to stay an Ozeki token yusho, it is anyway deserved, so well done big brute.