Sign in to follow this  
Rōnin

Day 4: Baruto vs. Wakakoyu - Gyōji Injured

That Gyōji was buried under alot of sumo bio-mass and looked completely unconcious. I hope he is ok, if anybody knows what happened to him - please post, cause it looked like he died! (Bouncing of excitement...)

He was in such bad shape they had to take him away on a stretcher and he never moved as he was carried away. Never seen that before.

The next gyoji, awaiting his turn, seems to have had the authority to intervene and call a winner.

How often does this happen?

Let's not forget that these guys are not young-over 50 looking at sixty. A whack like that could be fatal.

Looked very bad. He fell on his back so he may have bumped his head on the ground and been knocked unconscious.

I hope he'll be alright...

Edited by JariM

He (Kimura Shouzaburou, 61) was taken to a hospital after the match and is conscious. He hit his head hard and will be staying at the hospital for tests.

Edited by Kintamayama

Looked very bad. He fell on his back so he may have bumped his head on the ground and been knocked unconscious.

I hope he'll be alright...

Kimura Shozaburo Hatakeyama Saburo 16/03/1950 Jul 1965 Oshima Sanyaku Gyoji

He is in hospital for observation but other than a sore head he is supposedly OK.

Glad to hear he is ok... (Carried away on a stretcher...) (Just what doctor ordered...) (Gyoji...)

hit the back of his head. Good news is that he has movement in his hands and feet.

20120111-00001033-yom-000-2-view.jpg

Edited by Kintamayama

hit the back of his head. Good news is that he has movement in his hands and feet.

Good news, indeed.

It didn't looked like that in the stream.

Very well done photo Kintamayama (I started to call it 'nice' but didn't think that was appropriate for a photo of a 135 lb gyoji getting smashed by a 300+ lb sekitori). (Carried away on a stretcher...)

Let's not forget that these guys are not young-over 50 looking at sixty. A whack like that could be fatal.

Off topic but I cannot resist: Since when guys in The Sixties are considered to be in a bad shape?

I have tro agree ESPECIALLY Japanese who are known for good health andlongevity. MY grandmother is nearly Ninety and she's built like a brick house..she STILL scares me (and im nearly 30) lol!

With all due respect to the Japanese and their longevity, the gyoji are pretty small and mostly frail. A normal , young person falling off a one meter high dohyo and knocking his head on something solid after having Wakakouyuu fall over him after he was pushed by Baruto would find it hard to get up.

Edited by Kintamayama

For anyone who hasn't seen it, it is clear that Wakakoyu did not fall on him, he pushed the gyoji strongly backward off the dohyo (heck, he had Baruto behind him!). His head injury is a concern of course. He certainly did look like a tiny broken doll laying there after the fall. Surreal.

At last, ex-Tamanoshima's typical facial expression is entirely appropriate to the situation...

(Sorry, couldn't resist.)

Kimura Shozaburo is marked by cancer for years now. Seems like he's fighting it still as he hasn't gained weight significantly. When he makes the calls of the Rikishi, he always looks at his phsyical limits. This accident is even more dangerous given the state of his poor health condition.

Poor bloke i hope he gets better soon, he seemed awfully fragile out there.

Anyone ever thought of laying down some rubber flooring around the Dohyo? (hope this is the correct term for the ring) or maybe it is rubber already?

To be honest the amount of times that rikishi go flying out the ring i am surprised there have been no fatalities, i realise that sounds overly dramatic perhaps, but when i consider that i sometimes see wrestlers land heavily on their heads and necks, well, i don't know, seems rather dangerous to me.

Edited by Bugman

This stuff happened so quickly, there was no time for the Gyoji to even get a hand up to protect himself: from arm-shove-to-chest to head-meets-floor was less than 0.75 of a second. Ironically, it seemed that as he tried to dodge the action, the fight was following him anyway.

It reminded me of the famous video of a boxing match where the ref gets knocked out by an missed right hook.

Anyone ever thought of laying down some rubber flooring around the Dohyo? (hope this is the correct term for the ring) or maybe it is rubber already?

The flooring is fairly soft linoleum -- it it were bouncy rubber you really would be seeing some incredible sights! But in the case of the rikishi, there's seldom anything worse than a wrenched ankle or knee -- falling safely is the first thing they learn in sumo school. And that's a very narrow space; anyone falling off the dohyo usually goes onto a judge or into the first row of spectators. In Shozaburo's case this was a very small lightweight man, ailing for some time, who had an awkward fall and a freak accident.

Orion

The next gyoji, awaiting his turn, seems to have had the authority to intervene and call a winner.

How often does this happen?

Whenever necessary -- which isn't often. I recall way back in January 1998 when a gyoji had an accident of a different -- and even more unusual -- kind. While Kimura Nobutaka was refereeing a lively Juryo bout between Tomonohana and Daihisho, the seat of his voluminous pleated silk pants split, even though these are stitched with stout twine to avert precisely this misfortune. I quote from my Kansai Time Out column: "His dark under-kimono saved his honor, but the ballooning outfit was unsafe as well as undignified, and clutching the seam together as best he could, he withdrew in haste. The waiting gyoji, quick-witted Toshihiro, promptly stepped up and announced the winner. Daihisho hadn't noticed Nobutaka's mishap, and blinked in surprise to see a different gyoji! Toshihiro then refereed Nobutaka's second bout, as well as his own two.

And in case anyone wonders where they are now, 14 years later, Toshihiro is now Kimura Shonosuke, the chief gyoji, and Nobutaka is Kimura Tamamitsu, the #2 gyoji. It was Tamamitsu who stepped up to replace the unconscious Shozaburo this week. (I am not worthy...)

Orion

Don't look now, but isn't that him on the dohyō right now (the very next day) with Kotooshu vs. Okinoumi?! (I am not worthy...)

Don't look now, but isn't that him on the dohyō right now (the very next day) with Kotooshu vs. Okinoumi?! (I am not worthy...)

The man's a trooper.