Sign in to follow this  
Vikanohara

Sumo Games Survey

But if you got your Oracle right, picking UDH is no more difficult than Hoshitori, isn't it?

Just checked my game history in these two games (S-Oracle and UDH) and found often enough extreme discrepancy. A 9-6 in Oracle once converted to a 4-11 (Kyushu'08) in UDH, but also twice (Nagoya'06, Nagoya'09) in a 14-1. In total the difference was 5 x 5 points and 5 x 4 points in 31 bashos where I played both games in parallel. For me there is no correlation at all between these two games.

That's mostly because the multipliers are a major driver of the scoring in UDH. (And in the Hoshitori, although there the multipliers have competition from the +10/-10 KK/MK bonus.) Missing on a single rikishi can be a lot more disastrous in such leveraged games than in Oracle or, say, Fantasy Sumo.

Edited by Asashosakari

OK all you Sekitori Oracle fan boys ... When Hoshitori and UDH were created, there was no such thing as SO. I haven't missed a basho for Hoshitori since I first played in Nagoya 1995. Unfortunately, there's one player that started the basho before me, so I'm not the iron man. I think I'm the only player that actually went up to Aomori to visit Totoro. UDH came out of my discussions with Chuck Finberg. When I was on Canadian Coast Guard ships, our cribbage tournaments where 2 games to win and one to lose. The one to lose really was interesting, so we decided to make the inverse of Hoshitori Game.

When BenchSumo was created there was no such thing as Sumo Reference, only Stewart Nelson's SCGroup stats. I pulled them into my database and developed the bout page for myself as well as my bouts which I used for about a year before I released them to all players. Of course I plummetted through the standings when I did so because all the information available to make a more informed decision about the outcome was in one place.

Fantasy Sumo is a Johnny-come-lately compared to RotoSumo.

At one point we did consider adding the option to ST to automatically populate ISP with your pick, but then there was the issue of X bouts.

Personally, I dropped out of SO a while ago. Not to disparage Golynohana's coding, but there are all sorts of helps the entry page could give you like a Javascript function that would show you how many wins and losses you have predicted. It's a zero sum game, and I tended to be give too many wins out. You really have to do it in a spreadsheet first before you make your entry if you are going to be anywhere near realistic.

Anyway ... don't knock those early games. If it wasn't for them, there wouldn't be a sumo gaming community!

Personally, I dropped out of SO a while ago. Not to disparage Golynohana's coding, but there are all sorts of helps the entry page could give you like a Javascript function that would show you how many wins and losses you have predicted. It's a zero sum game, and I tended to be give too many wins out. You really have to do it in a spreadsheet first before you make your entry if you are going to be anywhere near realistic.

That "zero sum" approach is a mental trap. It's quite possible to grant every single Sekitori a KK and still score better than with a totally busted "realistic" entry.

Anyway ... don't knock those early games. If it wasn't for them, there wouldn't be a sumo gaming community!

(Carried away on a stretcher...) Hear hear, Kofuji!!

I don't have a huge amount to add to the survey, given my limited gaming involvement, but here you go.

=====

1) what are your favourite daily games (top 3)?

None.

2) what are your favourite pre-basho games (top 3)?

My top three is my only three, in no particular order: GTB, Hoshitori, UDH.

3) what are your favourite forum games (top 3)?

None.

4) are there games that you sadly miss?

None.

5) how many games are you currently playing?

See above.

6) which ones did you stop playing + possibly why?

I have a vague memory of playing ISP once, years ago, but never played again so obviously didn't like the daily aspect.

I also stopped playing UDH in a fit of pique, due to my abysmal performances. I regret that, as well as waiting so long to return.

7) what amount do you consider manageable/fun to keep playing forever?

As long as there is sumo, there should be GTB, Hoshitori and UDH, and I will play them forever.

8) what kind of game could actually still be missing from the offer?

Ha. If there's a gap in the market, it's about as wide as a cigarette paper. Best of luck filling it.