Sign in to follow this  
Kintamayama

Nakamura beya folding

Nakamura beya is closing shop at the end of this year. Nakamura will reach the mandatory retirement age of 65 and as he has no successor, the heya will be absorbed by Azumazeki beya. "I'm thinking of the young guys.. Azumazeki is run by a young yet enthusiastic Oyakata so the move should be quite smooth. The old Azumazeki and I were quite close, "said Nakamura. While active, he was very close to Takamiyama - 20 years together at Takasago beya. 7 rikishi (led by ex-Juryo heavyweight Hishoufuji), a gyoji and a tokoyama will all move to Azumazeki, who also have 7 rikishi. Nakamura, who brought up 4 sekitori since establishing the heya in 1986, will be an affiliated Oyakata at Azumazeki beya from after Kyushu till his retirement next February.

Edited by Kintamayama

Shikihide-beya is in the same position, the oyakata is a year away from seeing his lifeclock start blinking red and there are no other oyakata in the heya.

Shikihide-beya is in the same position, the oyakata is a year away from seeing his lifeclock start blinking red and there are no other oyakata in the heya.

Cough... (I am not worthy...)

Obviously, I read that post during the half-hour between your original message and your edit... (I am not worthy...)

Obviously, I read that post during the half-hour between your original message and your edit... (I am not worthy...)

I should have linked the earlier post about those rumours. (I am not worthy...)

The shutdown procedures of Nakamura-beya were officially approved in today's rijikai meeting. It's being said that five rikishi will be moving to Azumazeki-beya, which probably means that currently absent Hokuoryu and Kairiki will intai at the end of the basho. Tokoyama Tokokei and Nakamura-oyakata himself will also be moving to Azumazeki-beya, while gyoji Kimura Ryosuke is joining Hakkaku-beya. All these moves will become effective on December 19.

Edit: Nikkansports confirms that the five rikishi to move are Byakko, Hishofuji, Tokizakura, Mitozakura and Fujihisashi, so the other two mentioned above are definitely goners.

Edited by Asashosakari