Sign in to follow this  
Kintamayama

New Recruits for Hatsu 2012

6 new recruits, including the new Egyptian Boody (Sunaarashi? Daisunaarashi? Oosunaarashi?), who passed his Japanese exams and will be entering Maezumo in March. He will be the first African to join Ozumo.

"My dream is to become a Yokozuna. I will be the Middle Eastern and African delegate to sumo," said Oosunaarashi the Egyptian. "After doing real keiko, I fell in love with Sumo even more. I will do keiko earnestly!!" he added. "He does chanko and toilet duties willingly. Being a Muslim, he doesn't eat pork, but he has no other problems with the local food. He loves doing matawari and his enthusiasm for sumo is immense!" said a proud Ootake Oyakata.

Boody's idol Takanohana measuring him (1.89/138) at the new recruits' test, which he passed today.

spf1112261701002-p4.jpg

So is there a link to see the names and birthplaces etc. of new recruits? I did a news search, but only found articles about Boody being one among 6. I am curious about the others, too.

So is there a link to see the names and birthplaces etc. of new recruits? I did a news search, but only found articles about Boody being one among 6. I am curious about the others, too.

That comes a few days into the basho.

Wow- who is this guy?

Jean Philippe Cabral

Thanks for the link, Nishi. I now have a use for my 50 yr. old French classes.

No problem, but you know if you use Chrome as a browser it will translate the page for you.

Also Jean Philippe just told me that it's not his page so actually I've no idea who runs it.

Whoever runs it has great information sources. Actually, the best I've seen so far, far superior to say, mine.. He is based in Japan, going by his clock.

Edited by Kintamayama

Whoever runs it has great information sources. Actually, the best I've seen so far, far superior to say, mine.. He is based in Japan, going by his clock.
And going by the profile page, he is a she, lives in Paris, and calls herself KN - which, by the initials, could be a Japanese name.

By the way, the shin-deshi list comprises only five names. Did only five pass the first physical exam?

Edited by Randomitsuki

And going by the profile page, he is a she, lives in Paris, and calls herself KN - which, by the initials, could be a Japanese name.

By the way, the shin-deshi list comprises only five names. Did only five pass the first physical exam?

Six, but still, awesome sources, most of which I have never heard of. She is indeed a she I have been told incidentally and is French.

The empty row indicates the author couldn't find any information about #6. (Applauding...) Which also implies she's not using any secret sources most likely, just a very thorough reading of what's out there on the internet.

Edit: I don't see anything in her sources that I haven't used myself before, so chances are she's employing something similar to my Google News bookmark on "相撲" to track down all this stuff. (Or has the time to check all the websites individually...)

Edited by Asashosakari

The empty row indicates the author couldn't find any information about #6. (Applauding...) Which also implies she's not using any secret sources most likely, just a very thorough reading of what's out there on the internet.

Edit: I don't see anything in her sources that I haven't used myself before, so chances are she's employing something similar to my Google News bookmark on "相撲" to track down all this stuff. (Or has the time to check all the websites individually...)

I don't know about her investigative techniques on the web, what i can say for sure is that she doesn't live in Japan, but in France. Wish i spoke Japanese indeed, as that would be quite helpful for the article i always wished to (re)write about sumo and money. Sources are quite scarce on this matter (maybe Ozumo is as "shy" as French are about thosematters...)

I was referring to myself-there were a few local paper sites I never even heard of. Still, we had nothing on the forum except Boody this time, as opposed to past bashos where we had a bit more.

I was referring to myself-there were a few local paper sites I never even heard of. Still, we had nothing on the forum except Boody this time, as opposed to past bashos where we had a bit more.

Sadly, as I've spent the past five days mostly bedridden I haven't even looked at the aforementioned bookmark since all this shindeshi stuff must've started trickling in, and outside of you, me and madorosumaru it's generally not a high reporting priority here...

Not trying to take away anything from the blogger's efforts, of course - from what I can tell with my deeply buried school French those are very comprehensive write-ups and I'm the last one to doubt the time and effort that goes into collecting such information.

Edited by Asashosakari

thanks for the link...

another treasure of magnificento.

-shimodahito

TORCHBEARER 2012: taking entrees now.

Sadly, as I've spent the past five days mostly bedridden I haven't even looked at the aforementioned bookmark since all this shindeshi stuff must've started trickling in, and outside of you, me and madorosumaru it's generally not a high reporting priority here...

Not trying to take away anything from the blogger's efforts, of course - from what I can tell with my deeply buried school French those are very comprehensive write-ups and I'm the last one to doubt the time and effort that goes into collecting such information.

I'll gladly translate any intel you wish to have if you're interested :)

NSK data:
SHIKONA KANJI NAME HEYA HEIGHT WEIGHT DOB BIRTHPLACE
Hatakeyama 畠山 Ryota Hatakeyama Oguruma 182 103 16 - November - 1993 Akita
Miyakojima 都島 Motoharu Tsuchida Minezaki 188 76 19 - October - 1989 Osaka
Ryokizan 良貴山 Takuya Fukushi Tatsunami 175 124 15 - July - 1993 Aomori
Sharan シャーラン Abdelrahman Alaa Eldin Mohamed Ahmed Sharan Otake 189 138 10 - February - 1992 Egypt
Shinohara 篠原 Kai Shinohara Ounomatsu 181 109 21 - August - 1993 Osaka
Takanishi 高西 Hayato Takanishi Oitekaze 180 131 10 - November - 1993 Saitama
Edit: Miyakojima and Ryokizan Edited by Naganoyama

Day 3:

Miyakojima (0-1) - Shinohara (1-0)

Takanishi (1-0) - Fukushi (0-1)

Miyakojima (0-2) - Hatakeyama (1-0)

---

Day 4:

Takanishi (2-0) - Shinohara (1-1)

Miyakojima (0-3) - Fukushi (1-1)

Hatakeyama (1-1) - Shinohara (2-1)

Hatakeyama (1-2) - Fukushi (2-1)

Takanishi (3-0) - Shinohara (2-2)

Miyakojima (0-4) - Hatakeyama (2-2)

Fukushi (2-2) - Shinohara (3-2)

I believe we're done here.

#1 Takanishi 3-0

#2 Shinohara 3-2

#3 Fukushi 2-2

#4 Hatakeyama 2-2

#5 Miyakojima 都島 0-4

Ichiban Shusse:

Fukushi is now Ryokizan 良貴山 りょうきざん.

BTW, since it doesn't seem to have been mentioned yet - Takanishi is a product of famed Saitama Sakae HS and was a semifinalist of last year's National Inter-High tournament, so he definitely knows what he's doing up there.

Edited by Asashosakari