Sign in to follow this  
Kintamayama

New Recruits for Hatsu 2012

#5 Miyakojima 都島 0-4

For the sake of future generations, Miyakojima is Tsuchida.

I actually meant to note that on Day 3...strange, guess I forgot about it.

Ichiban Shusse:

<object style="height: 390px; width: 640px"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ARlv122hI8U?version=3&feature=player_detailpage"><param'>http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ARlv122hI8U?version=3&feature=player_detailpage"><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"><param name="allowScriptAccess" value="always"><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ARlv122hI8U?version=3&feature=player_detailpage" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowfullscreen="true" allowScriptAccess="always" width="640" height="360"></object>

Fukushi is now Ryokizan 良貴山 りょうきざん.

BTW, since it doesn't seem to have been mentioned yet - Takanishi is a product of famed Saitama Sakae HS and was a semifinalist of last year's National Inter-High tournament, so he definitely knows what he's doing up there.

thanks for posting this because it gives me a good smile before the start of my busy week.. just reminded that huge smile that Kai couldn't stop... we promised him to cheer him like crazy at the dohyo iri and when we did his smile was bigger than his face!! What a precious memory. the part that is not on camera is when they go off to the side and he turns around to aisatsu us and almost tripped!! so cute!! wish him luck in Osaka. He just joined the heya the first of January so he has tons of training to do... but he's been doing sumo in school so at least he's not starting from nowhere! and he has a great oyakata and sempai to bring him up!

I am eagerly awaiting the crop of kids who start maezumo in May of this year, there will surely be some straight out of junior high, and they will have been born after I came to Japan / started watching pro sumo. This will be a milestone for me. Though to be honest I wish they'd finish high school first.

Edited by Asanomeshi

Thanks Nishi! This breaks a string of four basho without your great service (or Jonosuke stepping in). Of course it would be great if you (or others) could provide these scans to complete the mae-zumo info in Sumo Reference for Natsu to Kyushu of last year.

Now when the Haru banzuke is ready does anyone have information why Osunaarashi the Egyptian is banzuke gai?

Now when the Haru banzuke is ready does anyone have information why Osunaarashi the Egyptian is banzuke gai?

I think that's just a temporary technicality - he should be competing in mae-zumo this basho after which he will advance to the banzuke.

I guess the database just reads non-participation in mae-zumo and automatically relegates the rikishi to banzuke-gai. No doubt it'll be amended when the basho/mae-zumo gets underway.

I guess the database just reads non-participation in mae-zumo and automatically relegates the rikishi to banzuke-gai. No doubt it'll be amended when the basho/mae-zumo gets underway.

I can't "read" participation in mae-zumo since no such list is out there to have. When I know which banzuke-gais are active in mae-zumo, I'll upgrade their status manually.

I can't "read" participation in mae-zumo since no such list is out there to have. When I know which banzuke-gais are active in mae-zumo, I'll upgrade their status manually.

Ah .. I just learned something new. I didn't know who will participate in mae-zumo is not decided in advance before the basho starts. I should notice there is no mae-zumo list at all, but I didn't. Thanks for the information!

Just to clarify, I was referring to Osunaarashi's absence (mandatory, of course) in the Hatsu mae-zumo. That's why I assumed the database had just seen that as a regular absence and relegated him to banzuke-gai on the new banzuke. Is that how it works?

Just to clarify, I was referring to Osunaarashi's absence (mandatory, of course) in the Hatsu mae-zumo. That's why I assumed the database had just seen that as a regular absence and relegated him to banzuke-gai on the new banzuke. Is that how it works?

Hmm, it's more like all non-intai rikishi who aren't on the banzuke are grouped in the banzuke-gai section. I once had to manually remove Wakanoho or Tokitsuumi because of this not-so-sophisticated approach.