So, proper correction for my point about many Ozeki demotions within a short period of time:

In 2019, we had 3 demotions but 4 demotion constituting events (Takayasu's second consecutive MK at Kyushu which will lead to his demotion for I/2020). So going back to 2017, we saw/will see 6 demotion triggers between I/2017 and XI/2019 or 6 demotions between III/2017 and I/2020. This is a span of 18 basho or three years (-> 0.33).

The previously most dense phase was 3 demotions between I/2000 and IX/2000, though the year had only two trigger events as Takanonami had his second consecutive MK at Kyushu 1999. But with events in 2001 we reach 5 demotions between I/2000 and IX/2001 (the triggers being between XI/1999 and VII/2001). So the span back then is 12 basho (-> 0.42).

• Thanks 1

Another trivia thing that I just now happened to have simply counted out with the help of the visual timeline is Ozeki yusho droughts (spells of consecutive basho without Ozeki yusho). Turns out we are in the midst of the second biggest one just now.

Ozeki yusho droughts (10+ basho) since 1958 [in very pedestrian format as no-one bothered to answer my how-to-make-tables-these-days question that I posted a few months ago...]:

1. VII/77 - V/81 -> 24*

2. III/17 - ?          -> 17+

3. III/70 - IX/72  -> 16

4. III/65 - I/67    -> 12

5. VII/09 - V/11 -> 11**

6. XI/61 - V/63  -> 10

6. III/88 - IX/89 -> 10

6. VII/99 - I/01  -> 10

6. V/14 - XI/15  -> 10

* These were insane four years of Yokozuna dominance (initially Kitanoumi & Wajima, then Wakanohana II & Mienoumi on the way; both of the latter pair were promoted without a yusho win in their Yokruns). The sole non-Yokozuna yusho in the spell came in basho 22 by the hands of Sekiwake Chiyonofuji who finally broke the drought three basho later as Ozeki.

** 10 if you discount the hon-basho-hood of V/11, the infamous Technical Examination Tournament. For which one can surely argue, as Kaio for instance certainly chose not to end his career there (picking up a totally epic and absolutely non-orchestrated final Yokozuna bout win instead [in his final Tokyo bout, in the last bout of the basho]).

Edited by yorikiried by fate
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1

I don't know about Takayasu's prognosis to know how realistic it would be, but it would be hilarious for the above streak to continue if Takayasu gets his first yusho next basho.

Edited by Gurowake
  • Like 1
  • Haha 3

Thanks for this great visualization!  Noting the bottom part of the graph is relatively sparse in recent years, I was wondering if you would consider adding the "dai-Sekiwakes" Tochiozan and Mitakeumi and perhaps Miyogiryu, Tamawashi and Ichinojo (8 bashos at Sekiwake each)?  Just a thought.

Edited by Ack!
  • Thanks 1

5 hours ago, Ack! said:

Thanks for this great visualization!  Noting the bottom part of the graph is relatively sparse in recent years, I was wondering if you would consider adding the "dai-Sekiwakes" Tochiozan and Mitakeumi and perhaps Miyogiryu, Tamawashi and Ichinojo (8 bashos at Sekiwake each)?  Just a thought.

Firstly, you're welcome.

The bottom part usually fills up with delay, as entries back in the timeline are added with any new Ozeki promotion. So assuming, whatever, Asanoyama will reach the rank, there will be a couple of entries added further left (i.e. his debut, his sektitori and Makuuchi debuts, plus his most recent Komusubi and pending future Sekiwake debut).

Edited by yorikiried by fate
catching up with Asanoyama
  • Thanks 1

I love the yearly Graph update, thank you. I think I love the Graph because it is something really highly technical and full of data that is also probably only truly appreciated by a handful of people on the planet but is, in fact, an absolute piece of art. Kudos to you.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1