Sign in to follow this  
Otokonoyama

New Armchair Rikishi

Hi,

A quick introduction...I've been living in Gifu for 5 years now, but made my first trip to Japan a year before moving here. I saw sumo on the nightly news while visiting, and was fascinated. When I moved here, I started watching all the honbasho on tv. Even though I didn't have bilingual tv then, and could hardly speak a word of Japanese, I couldn't stop watching...

Now, 5 years later, I'm still watching. I have a better tv (and vcr to tape when I'm not home), and can understand more of the Japanese broadcast, and I'm still hooked. I get to the Nagoya July basho every year (got my tickets for senshuraku already :-) ), and to Osaka and Tokyo now and then. Gonna make it to Fukuoka this year, I hope...

My Japanese friends have been very supportive...when they find out what a nut I am about sumo, they introduce me to their other sumo nut friends, and sometimes I make good connections. I've been to see asageiko and eat chanko at Sadogatake's Nagoya heya twice, to Miyagino's Nagoya heya once, and Miyagino's basho-ending uchiage party once too. Sometimes, during the July basho, I just drop by the temple lodgings and watch the morning practice on my way to work.

I've been playing Fantasy Sumo for maybe half a year, and think I'll try some other games now that I found this site. I've only been checking sumoforum for a few weeks...

My favorite rikishi tend to be the small, quick, technical types. I liked Kotonishiki and Wakanohana III in their day, and now enjoy watching Tochiazuma (too bad about the shoulder), Kotomitsuki, Kokkai, Aminishiki, Hayateumi, and of course, The Lord of the Ring Asashoryu.

Hoping for a rockin' May Basho!!! :-)

Welcome to the forum! :-)

It's nice to see another fan based in Japan btw. Many of us try to follow sumo from the other side of the world, and some things (not least actually visiting basho... ) becomes very difficult under such circumstances :-)

Thank you!

It is good to be close to the source. Maybe someday I can live & work somewhere in Ryogoku :-)

Welcome!

You have good taste in rikishi... :-) :-)

Welcome indeed ....

feed us with lots of information for your heya and basho visits .... :-)

hope to see you around often.

EDIT : great avatar ..... (Sign of approval)

Edited by aderechelsea

feed us with lots of information for your heya and basho visits ....  :-)

EDIT : great avatar ..... (Sign of approval)

Thank you all!

As for info, I'll do what I can. The first several visits my Japanese wasn't up to scratch (still isn't :-O but I try...).

This was a couple years ago...my memory is not what it used to be! Kotonowaka is a very nice guy married to Sadogatake oyakata's daughter. She speaks some English, as she studied in both the USA and Canada (she said she prefered Canada - probably because she was in Victoria/Vancouver then; nice places!). Kotomitsuki posed for pics, but wasn't talkative. Couldn't find Kotoryu after keiko. Saw a tall, skinny foreigner practicing skikko, but nobody seemed to know who he was. This was July, and Osh debuted the same year November...coulda been him. Dunno.

Miyagino oyakata told me his claim to fame was once beating Konishiki (the oyakata is not a big man by sumo standards). Had the best sake I've ever tasted at their post basho party. Called 'ku' (?). Hard to come by, even in Japan. Tried...oh, I tried... :'-(

As for the avatar...I am a Mike Myers/Austin Power fan :-) The only thing I like almost as much as sumo (Blushing...)

Welcome Otokonoyama-zeki! There can never be too many sumofans :-| :-)

I've been to see asageiko and eat chanko at Sadogatake's Nagoya heya twice

:-) Lucky guy you are :-O As others already have said, feel free to share your info!

And yes, indeed you have a very....errr... intriguing avatar (Blushing...)

Welcome from me too! I noticed you in the Super Banzuke when I was compiling it earlier... obviously you have talent in the games :-P So be sure to enter Sekitori-Toto and play for the Rookie prize there... and while you are at it, also play its sister games, Oracle and S4! :-) But in any event, enjoy the forum, and the upcoming basho!

Cheers

Zenjimoto

I noticed you in the Super Banzuke when I was compiling it earlier... obviously you have talent in the games :-P So be sure to enter Sekitori-Toto and play for the Rookie prize there... and while you are at it, also play its sister games, Oracle and S4! :-)

:-) A big Arizasu!

I just got into sumo games last year when I discovered Fantasy Sumo. After joing SF recently, I noticed other games... :-P

I'm gonna give some new ones a try (Sign of approval)

Best of luck to all!!!

I just got into sumo games last year when I discovered Fantasy Sumo.  After joing SF recently, I noticed other games... (Enjoying a beer...)

I'm gonna give some new ones a try (Sign of approval)

Welcome to the forum!

If you are going to try some new games, you should try Sekitori-Quadrumvirate (S4). Great game, made by some very nice people. (Laughing...)

Welcome to the forums!

Many said that already but, your avatar is *great*! I couldn't stop myself from thinking how Fat Bastard would do in a sumo bout (Enjoying a beer...)

I couldn't stop myself from thinking how Fat Bastard would do in a sumo bout :-D

I think Fat Bastard would be a real showboater (a lot of feathers, not much chicken) , like Kitazakura! :-)

I've entered some of your games...

I'm gonna have to join a 12-step program someday to break the habit ;-)