Sign in to follow this  
Bealzbob

Sakumayama

This rikishi has yet to lose a match (kettei-sen versus Watanabe notwithstanding) in his first 4 basho (including maezumo). He is 21-0.

According to the sumo database, only 2 other rikishi have ever debuted in maezumo and gone undefeated in their first 4 basho. Itai in 1978 & Kototenzan in 1985/1986

No-one has ever gone undefeated in their first 5.

He might be one to keep an eye on. Or at 23 has he potentially missed the boat? Anyone have any opinions on him?

This rikishi has yet to lose a match (kettei-sen versus Watanabe notwithstanding) in his first 4 basho (including maezumo). He is 21-0.

According to the sumo database, only 2 other rikishi have ever debuted in maezumo and gone undefeated in their first 4 basho. Itai in 1978 & Kototenzan in 1985/1986

No-one has ever gone undefeated in their first 5.

He might be one to keep an eye on. Or at 23 has he potentially missed the boat? Anyone have any opinions on him?

I wrote about this in the lower division report. You might want to check out this guy too, I don't have his mae-zumo record. His age is not a big factor, it's the question what his wall will be. Those perfect career starts are rare because a stray loss can creep in for the best rikishi hurting a perfect score, and another big reason is that the really good talents have proven their worth in university for a makushita tsukedashi slot. There have been a few rikishi starting their career with consecutive makushita yusho which is much more impressive I think.

I wrote about this in the lower division report. You might want to check out this guy too, I don't have his mae-zumo record. His age is not a big factor, it's the question what his wall will be. Those perfect career starts are rare because a stray loss can creep in for the best rikishi hurting a perfect score, and another big reason is that the really good talents have proven their worth in university for a makushita tsukedashi slot. There have been a few rikishi starting their career with consecutive makushita yusho which is much more impressive I think.

FWIW, Sakumayama would have been a makushita tsukedashi starter if he had quit university after winning the college yokozuna title in his 2nd year in 2008. So this start isn't entirely unexpected; he'd been tabbed as one of the biggest amateur talents of the last decade. He just didn't put it all together in his final year, so with the tougher rules nowadays (only one year of eligibility) that victory didn't save him from maezumo.

His ~Ms15 ranking in January will be the true test.

Edited by Asashosakari

Since I am at Kitanoumi beya for asageiko at least 4 times a month I was able to meet him before he started Maezumo. Of course all the boys and oyakata wanted to introduce me to him because they also knew he would be something. Before he started Maezumo he was doing keiko with the makushita rikishi and winning. I was very impressed. In his first basho of Jonidan he was doing keiko with Gagamaru and Kitataiki and he was sometimes winning!! He was almost always winning with the Makushita rikishi. He was not surprised that he lost the ketteisen with Watanabe but his heya mates were kind of surprised!!

We talk via email about every other day. He is very positive and a hard worker at keiko...where many other college boys aren't. His sempai Fukao was keeping him by his side since Nagoya basho when he was allowed out of the heya to play. It makes me laugh because he will soon pass (I hope) Fukao on the banzuke because he trains harder and is in much better shape. Now... if we could just get him to stop smoking I would be even more impressed! Maybe it will never effect him, I don't know. Doesn't seem to be a problem for Baruto but it really is for people like Toyonoshima and Gagamaru during keiko. I guess because Baruto is in better physical shape and saying that Sakumayama is as well.. But when Toyonoshima or Gagamaru is getting their asses kicked at keiko by Hakuho who hasn't even broke a sweat and isn't breathing hard they are wheezing like hell. Hakuho always says after practice "you should quit smoking..."

• Like 1

Sakaizawa had an astonishing start as well : 2-0 7-0 7-0 6-1 6-1 7-0. And look what happened to him.

Goeido : 7-0 6-1 7-0 4-3 7-0, each time Yusho winner with those 7-0.

Aoiyama : 3-0 7-0 7-0 6-1 7-0

Tosayutaka : 2-0 6-1 7-0 7-0 7-0

All those + Tokitenku are among the best 'recent' starters from Maezumo, but none beats Sakumayama indeed.

Surprised there isn't more talk about this, unless I've missed it. I mentioned it somewhere else. Really it's more of a honbasho topic but anyway....

I have seen every match of his, and they were all convincing. His strength, skill, and yes, patience are amazing! He wasn't nervous at all about tieing the record with Itai for consecutive wins from hatsu dohyo. I will definitely be cheering him today or tomorrow when he competes for the win that will put him in the number one spot. Go Sakumayama!!

Surprised there isn't more talk about this, unless I've missed it. I mentioned it somewhere else. Really it's more of a honbasho topic but anyway....

I have seen every match of his, and they were all convincing. His strength, skill, and yes, patience are amazing! He wasn't nervous at all about tieing the record with Itai for consecutive wins from hatsu dohyo. I will definitely be cheering him today or tomorrow when he competes for the win that will put him in the number one spot. Go Sakumayama!!

There has been some talk about it in the "lower division results"-threads of Doitsuyama. Sakumayama was incredibly lucky in the last bout against young Chiyoo, who quickly got both hands inside and nearly tsuridashi'ed Sakumayama. Still a great turnaround throw after he regained footing and of course truly remarkable to go 5-0 (with a good chance to earn a promotion bout) in his first Makushita basho as well.

Just in case anyone hasn't seen the new Sumo DB videos: You can see all of Sakumayama's bouts from this basho here: http://sumodb.sumogames.com/Rikishi_basho....71&b=201201

This kid could be a contender.

Interestingly, none of his bouts this basho were easy wins - notably his last two opponents both got morozashi.

He just pulled it off! The new record! A surprisingly easy win too. It was over in seconds. Now he can relax a little (though he always seems relaxed) and focus on winning the yusho.

Clearly the better (or just older ?) version of Sasanoyama, as the latter lost another bout.

Sasanoyama is not a college boy so he has a lot less experience!! Granted when he joined sumo he ended up in a ketteisen with Sakumayama because he was stronger than the rest..(in the same division)

he is a very hard worker at keiko but he trains with the lower division boys and has since he joined where they put Sakuma up to train with the makushita before maezumo. I expect Sasanoyama will do well but it will take him more time. He needs experience. He's already leaped over his older brother in rank!!!

One reason Sakuma wins is he is cool.. like Hakuho he isn't nervous going into a match. I do hope he can get the yusho and enter juryo ahead of his sempai who recruited him.. ;-) maybe incentive for them to do better and more keiko!

It will also be wonderful to celebrate his yusho at the senshuraku party if he wins!!!!

Edited by Kotoviki

To be honest, I expect Sasanoyama to climb up very fast as well. He will just need a few more years. But that's pretty normal, as he's also quite a bit younger. If nothing goes seriously wrong, at some point I see both of them in Sanyaku ranks together. Great times are ahead for Kitanoumi heya ! ;-)

To be honest, I expect Sasanoyama to climb up very fast as well. He will just need a few more years. But that's pretty normal, as he's also quite a bit younger. If nothing goes seriously wrong, at some point I see both of them in Sanyaku ranks together. Great times are ahead for Kitanoumi heya ! :-)

The streak is over after his loss today to Sensho. Still, 27 wins is good enough to beat the record for longest streak of wins since starting at Jonokuchi.

Watched it a couple of times. He seemed to be struggling to try grabbing the mawashi with his right arm.

A pity, though it had to end once of course.