Sign in to follow this  
rodarvus

Who will be the next Yokozuna?

Hi guys,

I was I was visiting Kintamayama's Sumo Homepage, and found a very interesting Poll, from about two years ago:

"Who will be the next Yokozuna?" (poll #48, for those who might want to check)

The results for that poll:

Tochiazuma (36.8%)

Chiyotaikai (20.8%)

Kotomitsuki (17.9%)

Kaio (13.2%)

Asashoryu (4.7%)

Miyabiyama (1.9%)

Wakanosato (1.9%)

Buyuuzan (0.9%)

Takamisakari (0.9%)

Jacques Custeau :-P (0.9%)

It's strange to see how things changed quite quickly. One year later, Ashashoryu was promoted to Yokozuna, Next basho Tochiazuma will probably be demoted to Sekiwake (Whatever above, it is funny...) , and most polls and guesses towards who will be the next yokozuna are geared around younger rikishis.

Hope the result of this poll was as interesting to someone else at it was for me :-)

Kaio (13.2%)

Strewth - 13.2 % for Kaio?

:-P (Whatever above, it is funny...)

The mind boggles

Miyabiyama (1.9%)

That shocks me even more. (Whatever above, it is funny...)

wow I am really surprised that so many people rated Tochiazuma so highly 2 years ago. I wonder what they saw that I didnt.

wow I am really surprised that so many people rated Tochiazuma so highly 2 years ago. I wonder what they saw that I didnt.

Probably his first basho victory - that was January wasn't it (no notes - just memory) and if so people went with the flavor of the moment. Happens. I was a-hopin too.

These types of polls tend to lean towards the rikishi of the moment. This poll took place one month after new Ozeki Tochiazuma had won the Hatsu 2002 Yusho in a playoff over Chiyotaikai. Kotomitsuki (pre-injury) had just gone 12-3 at Sekiwake. So who were the top three in this poll? Tochiazuma, Chiyotaikia and Kotomitsuki.

In fairness to Tochiazuma, another Yusho in Haru would have won him that Yokozuna promotion. So it's no surprise he was the leader of this poll.

Kotomitsuki(17.9%) has been rather dissapointing. I still think he has a fair chance of becoming Ozeki.

if a similar vote was held now i would vote for "none this year" ...... :-)

I would vote for Jacques Cousteau. But with regards to Kotomitsuki: I blame his injury. He never showed the same form coming back from the injurty that he had before. Unfortunately his career will be marked in the minds of many as a big question mark, a big "what if he didn't get injured so severely?"

I would vote for Jacques Cousteau. But with regards to Kotomitsuki: I blame his injury. He never showed the same form coming back from the injurty that he had before. Unfortunately his career will be marked in the minds of many as a big question mark, a big "what if he didn't get injured so severely?"

Yeah something is missing from him now...