Sign in to follow this  
Doitsuyama

Day 15 results, yusho and sansho

Kisenosato won rather quickly against Goeido to stay in the yusho race until the last bout as Kotoshogiku fell victim to a strong uwatenage from ozeki Baruto. Hakuho probably doesn't like yusho playoffs, being just 4-4 in them and he managed to avoid a tomoe-sen with Kotoshogiku and Kisenosato with a full somersault uwatenage over Harumafuji to clinch the 13-2 yusho, his 20th yusho. Kotoshogiku at least got two sansho along with a likely ozeki promotion while Kisenosato gets the shukun-sho. Gagamaru won against Tochiozan for an 11-4 final score and the kanto-sho. It's Kotoshogiku's second jun-yusho despite this being the first time he gets 12 wins, but only Kisenosato's first jun-yusho despite having 13-2 and 12-3 scores previously.

Toynoshima managed to clinch the kachi-koshi with his seventh win in a row, saving his komusubi rank. This is just the eighth time a sekitori gets the kachi-koshi when down 1-7 after 8 days, the last one was ... Toyonoshima! in Hatsu just this year at M1e and also securing a sanyaku rank the next basho. The last one before him was Kyokugozan in Aki 1993 in juryo, and the last times in makuuchi were 1964 and 1954, so it's truly a big feat to get it done two times in one year. Okinoumi also finished kachi-koshi but must stay at M1 along with Goeido.

Speaking of amazing feats, Kimurayama is make-koshi in the last two makuuchi slots for the third time in a row and it looks like he again can stay in makuuchi as there are already five clear demotions from makuuchi with Yoshiazuma looking similarly on the edge and juryo can only offer four clear promotion with Sadanofuji being the fifth. So it comes down to the question if kachi-koshi clinching Tsurugidake and Tenkaiho get awarded with makuuchi promotion, but I guess not.

Day 15

Juryo

J14e   Hamanishiki (2-13)  shitatenage	Ms5w   Azumaryu (2-5)
Ms2w   Tochihiryu (3-4)	tsukiotoshi	J13e   Hishofuji (4-11)
J12e   Satoyama (7-8)	  tsukiotoshi	Ms3w   Arawashi (3-4)
Ms2e   Tokushinho (4-3)	yorikiri	   J11e   Chiyozakura (6-9)
J14w   Hitenryu (5-10)	 yorikiri	   J7w	Takamisakari (6-9)
J6w	Shironoryu (7-8)	shitatenage	J10w   Kyokushuho (9-6)
J6e	Aoiyama (10-3-2)	hikiotoshi	 J13w   Hokutokuni (10-5)
J10e   Nionoumi (9-6)	  hatakikomi	 J5w	Masuraumi (7-8)
J5e	Matsutani (11-4)	yorikiri	   J11w   Chiyoarashi (8-7)
J4e	Bushuyama (8-7)	 yoritaoshi	 J8e	Sadanoumi (7-8)
J3e	Myogiryu (13-2)	 oshidashi	  J12w   Kotoyuki (9-6)
J9e	Chiyonokuni (10-5)  oshidashi	  J2e	Sadanofuji (8-7)
J1w	Takarafuji (9-6)	yorikiri	   J7e	Tamanoshima (5-10)
J8w	Kimikaze (8-7)	  yorikiri	   J1e	Tochinonada (4-11)

Makuuchi

J3w	Tenkaiho (8-7)	  oshidashi	  M16w   Kimurayama (7-8)
J2w	Tsurugidake (8-7)   oshitaoshi	 M15w   Takanoyama (5-10)
M12e   Aminishiki (10-5)   oshidashi	  M16e   Kokkai (9-6)
M15e   Daido (8-7)		 hatakikomi	 M10e   Tamawashi (6-9)
M8w	Toyohibiki (6-9)	yorikiri	   M13e   Yoshiazuma (5-10)
M7e	Fujiazuma (6-9)	 oshidashi	  M17e   Hochiyama (5-10)
M10w   Kyokutenho (11-4)   uwatenage	  M6w	Wakakoyu (6-9)
M6e	Takayasu (6-9)	  tsukidashi	 M14e   Tosayutaka (4-11)
M4w	Tokitenku (6-9)	 susoharai	  M13w   Tamaasuka (4-11)
M11w   Gagamaru (11-4)	 oshidashi	  M3w	Tochiozan (7-8)
M3e	Takekaze (5-10)	 oshidashi	  M9w	Sagatsukasa (6-9)

M8e	Kaisei (4-11)	   yorikiri	   M2w	Yoshikaze (6-9)
M2e	Wakanosato (4-11)   yorikiri	   M14w   Shotenro (9-6)
M1w	Okinoumi (8-7)	  hikiotoshi	 M12w   Asasekiryu (7-8)
M1e	Homasho (10-5)	  yorikiri	   M7w	Tochinowaka (9-6)
M4e	Tochinoshin (8-7)   tsuridashi	 K1w	Aran (5-10)
K1e	Toyonoshima (8-7)   yoritaoshi	 M11e   Kitataiki (10-5)
S2e	Kakuryu (9-6)	   oshidashi	  M5e	Miyabiyama (7-8)
S1w	Kisenosato (12-3)   oshitaoshi	 M5w	Goeido (10-5)
O1w	Baruto (10-5)	   uwatenage	  S1e	Kotoshogiku (12-3)
Y1e	Hakuho (13-2)	   uwatenage	  O1e	Harumafuji (8-7)

List of Yusho

Makuuchi:  Hakuho (20th)
Juryo:	 Myogiryu (2nd)
Makushita: Asahisho
Sandanme:  Karatsuumi
Jonidan:   Watanabe
Jonokuchi: Wakayama

List of Sansho

Gino-sho:   Kotoshogiku (4th)
Shukun-sho: Kotoshogiku (3rd), Kisenosato (5th)
Kanto-sho:  Gagamaru (1st)

I find it hard to believe that Kyushu will be Homasho's debut at Komusubi, but it will be! How someone as promising as he was has never gotten to sanyaku before now is a bit of a mystery.

I find it hard to believe that Kyushu will be Homasho's debut at Komusubi, but it will be! How someone as promising as he was has never gotten to sanyaku before now is a bit of a mystery.

I think it won't be his debut - instead I think he'll get the M1E slot.... The sanyaku is full, and so no space unless 'forced', and I don't think an 8-7 is a force, even at M1W.

Edit: A quick check on Doitsubase comes up with this. Can you guess who was the last rikishi to be denied promotion to Komusubi from M1W with an 8-7 record? Oh, the irony....!

(I couldn't believe that Kimurayama might again remain in Makunouchi - but looking at the banzuke, I guess he will... He's had 14 bashos in Makunouchi, but only claimed a KK twice - both times 8-7. That must be a record of sorts!)

Edited by Jejima

Homasho finished 10-5 @ M1e, not 8-7 @ M1w (you're mistaking him with Okinoumi).

Edited by Bealzbob

Homasho finished 10-5 @ M1e, not 8-7 @ M1w (you're mistaking him with Okinoumi).

Yes, (Oops!). All hail the new Komusubi! (Clapping wildly...)

(I couldn't believe that Kimurayama might again remain in Makunouchi - but looking at the banzuke, I guess he will... He's had 14 bashos in Makunouchi, but only claimed a KK twice - both times 8-7. That must be a record of sorts!)

I'm willing to be burned at the stake if Kimurayama remains in Juryo (Edit: I mean Makuuchi..). Enough is enough, even for the banzuke makers.

Edited by Kintamayama

I'm willing to be burned at the stake if Kimurayama remains in Juryo. Enough is enough, even for the banzuke makers.

You mean Makunouchi.....?

I'm willing to be burned at the stake if Kimurayama remains in Juryo. Enough is enough, even for the banzuke makers.

You mean Makunouchi.....?

I'm ambiguous. (Yes, yes, age, age..)

Yes, (Oops!). All hail the new Komusubi! (Clapping wildly...)

It is Okinoumi who is getting the shaft this time, 8-7 from m1w and all he gets to show for it is m1e!

Glad that Homie is finally getting the little knot. I may go back to blog translating for a while if he posts anything interesting... though my Japanese is getting so rusty that it is bound to be terrible, gambarimasu...

Edited by Harry

I'm willing to be burned at the stake if Kimurayama remains in Juryo (Edit: I mean Makuuchi..). Enough is enough, even for the banzuke makers.

I agree with that. If it was anybody else, I would say they're not going to do a makuuchi<->Tenkaiho exchange as, while Tenkaiho is just barely inside the promotable zone for his 8-7 record, 7-8 from the second-last spot isn't a "must" demotion. But with Kimurayama's track record... The fact that Tenkaiho himself beat him straight-up on senshuraku provides easy additional justification, not that it's really needed.

Trying to find a similar example....

This one from Hatsu 2005 has Aminishiki going from M16W (7-8) to M17W. Meanwhile, Kitazakura at J2W (8-7) remained in Juryo.

But to counter that example, here is another one. In Nagoya 1992, the banzuke went down to M16E. M15W Tachihikari dropped to Juryo with a 7-8, allowing Asahisato to be promoted to Makunouchi with an 8-7 from J3E. That one basho was Tochihikari's only experience of the top division!

Hmmmm....

The fact that Tenkaiho himself beat him straight-up on senshuraku provides easy additional justification, not that it's really needed.

Didn't I receive a proper thrashing after last basho for insinuating a possible influence of direct results on banzuke making, right here in this theatre?

The fact that Tenkaiho himself beat him straight-up on senshuraku provides easy additional justification, not that it's really needed.

Didn't I receive a proper thrashing after last basho for insinuating a possible influence of direct results on banzuke making, right here in this theatre?

And then there is the weird torikumi-making in Juryo on Day 15 with the Tokushinho-Chiyozakura and Satoyama-Arawashi matchups: one may even question if there are any exchange bouts at all nowadays... Tomorrow we will know if they promote Tokushinho to Juryo - if not I guess Kimurayama has a fair chance to stay in Makuuchi. According to his comment after the day 15 loss he doesn't think so himself.

Edited by Flohru

Hey, I said justification, not influence or causal relationship... All I'm saying is that, while typically Kimurayama shouldn't/wouldn't be dropped in favour of Tenkaiho*, the overall situation this time makes it easy to rationalize for the banzuke makers, should they be so inclined. But the "exchange" bout would only be outward justification for a decision that is being made independent of it anyway.

And then there is the weird torikumi-making in Juryo on Day 15 with the Tokushinho-Chiyozakura and Satoyama-Arawashi matchups: one may even question if there are any exchange bouts at all nowadays... Tomorrow we will know if they promote Tokushinho to Juryo - if not I guess Kimurayama has a fair chance to stay in Makuuchi. According to his comment after the day 15 loss he doesn't think so himself.

Well, they're rarely true exchange bouts in the sense that the two competitors are competing for exactly the same spot. Many times a winning makushita rikishi might be opening the slot for somebody else, not himself, or a losing juryo rikishi might be saved by another juryo's loss, but that's down to unavoidable interplay between multiple bout results, sometimes even because the two rikishi who would make the most sensible pairing already faced each other or are from the same heya. The Day 14/15 scheduling this basho was definitely odd, however; I'm struggling to remember the last time a "safe" juryo rikishi faced a contending makushita rikishi, let alone two days in a row. Maybe my speculation is correct and they've decided to overdemote somebody for the first time since 1998 or so. One can only hope...

I don't think it's possible to draw a connection between the two decisions though (Kimurayama and Chiyozakura) - makuuchi/juryo exchanges have remained much more fluid after 1998 than the juryo/makushita exchanges, so a change in the latter doesn't have to imply a change in the former, nor vice versa.

* Not as a 7th exchange anyway. That's a fairly big difference to the Nagoya 1992 case unearthed by Jejima where there were only 5. (I don't think cases from that far back hold much informational value anyway, though.)

Edited by Asashosakari

He'll be demoted because he went 7-8 which is usually a drop by one whole rank if not more. Sometime it's less but this time there is no real reason to make it less. Maegashira 17W it is. Since there won't be a M17 W, he's gone. Additional justification is the key here for the head to heads thingy..

:-D

:-D

It looks like it's become an inside joke amongst the Banzuke makers.. Anyhow, I'm starting the fire. groundwillopenupandswallowmenow.icon

Edited by Kintamayama