Sign in to follow this  
Jonosuke

Rikishi Talk Day 7 Aki Basho 2011

Day 7 - Saturday September 17, 2011

----------------------------------------------------------------

Hakuho calmly slaps down Toyonoshima to notch his seventh straight win. Ozeki candidate Kotoshogiku downs Okinoumi and Kisenosato beats Kakuryu to share the top stop with Hakuho. Kakuryu lost his fourth bout this basho and his ozeki promotion chance has been further damaged. Maegashira Tochiozan and Gagamaru chase the top three with one loss. Ozeki Harumafuji lost to Yoshikaze and suffered fourth loss but Baruto won his fifth. Kotooshu went on kyujo. There was the first Maiin-onray, the sell out at the Kokugikan this basho.

Kimurayama (2-5) losing to Takarafuji by oshidashi, 8.3 sec

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

(Losing his fifth straight and seeing all that black circles (for loss) next to his name, feeling he needs anything to reverse his fortune.)

"Maybe I should start drinking milk. It's white after all."

Kokkai (5-2) over Shotenro by hatakikomi, 0.7 sec

---------------------------------------------------------------------------

(Unleashing a henka in the rematch.)

"I have been on a losing skid and I really wanted to get a win at any cost. I feel badly to the fans who came to see us today but then I was able to get a win..."

Yoshiazuma (3-4) losing to Takanoyama by kakenage, 13.5 sec

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

(Losing to Makuuchi debut 98kg Takanoyama.)

"I knew he had leg techniques but...."

Takanoyama (2-5) over Yoshiazuma

-------------------------------------------------------

(Being labelled the new "Department of Techniques" (after equally lightweight Mainoumi) for employing any techniques utilizing his lightweight and receiving one of the loudest cheers from the crowd at the sold out Kokugikan today. There were long line ups for his autographs and taking photo as he was leaving the arena today. After jumping into 68 kg heavier Yoshiazuma, kicking his left leg up and was seen even trying to catch his opponent's leg while falling down.)

"Well you know I cannot execute moves I have not practiced during training sessions. Today I was able to display my offensive sumo."

(With Takamisakari falling down to Juryo and often there are hardly more than whispers during Makuuchi first half, the 28 year old has become the magnet of fan attention and becoming their favorite, replacing Takamisakari.)

"I am just happy if I can display a sumo that the people can enjoy watching. Win or lose I always try to display good sumo, that's all I think about whenever I get up on the dohyo."

Mihogaseki oyakata (former Ozeki Masuiyama), Chief Dohyo Judge

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

"The bout was a model for what all small rikishi should do to win in sumo."

Gagamaru (6-1) over Tamawashi by oshidashi, 6.8 sec

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

(In a good condition and winning his six straight,)

"Just approach tomorrow's (bout) without getting distracted. You know the real sumo starts from Day 8. the mid-way of basho."

Fujiazuma (1-6) losing to Sagatsukasa by hikiotoshi, 7.5 sec

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

(Losing his sixth straight since Day 2 and analyzing his predicament.)

"When you keep losing so much, you start thinking all kinds of things even though you know you shouldn't and as a result you cannot easily get out of funk you are in."

Tochiozan (6-1) over Wakakoyu by oshidashi, 12.7 sec

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------

(On his six bout winning streak by not letting Wakakoyu get into his favorite Tsuppari or Pulls.)

"I felt if I stayed real close to him, I was able to move forward. Besides I wouldn't get slapped down. Basically I was trying not to think too deeply about it and just leave as much space as I felt comfortable."

(Chasing the three front runners with Gagamaru with one loss.)

"I intend to follow them quietly and closely."

Homasho (4-3) over Aran by yorikiri, 11.5 sec

------------------------------------------------------------------------

(Being thrown by Aran after already out of the dohyo.)

"I should have followed through to get him out for sure. If I was facing more skilled opponent, I would have lost it."

Kisenosato (7-0) over Kakuryu by oshidashi, 3.0 sec

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

(Lost at the tachiai and pushed to the dohyo edge but reversed his fortune with a timely push, blowing away Kakuryu out of the dohyo.)

"It wasn't a sumo I can be praised for in any way. I was rather lucky that I was able to rebound but if I was moving well, I would never have gotten into that situation."

Kakuryu (3-4) losing to Kisenosato

--------------------------------------------------------

(Losing to Kisenosato and his ozeki dream receding further as he needs a total of 33 wins in three basho, meaning he will need to win 11 this basho.)

"I try not to think too much about that. Today I simply lost my balance."

Kotoshogiku (7-0) over Okinoumi by yorikiri, 9.4 sec

------------------------------------------------------------------------------

(Realizing he would not make to the Kokugikan in time due to a heavy traffic congestion around a cemetery near his Heya, hopped a train at Matsudo station to make it to the arena twenty minutes later than usual.)

"I was really anxious as I thought I would not make it to the dohyo-iri. I actually felt the people in the train staring at me all through. But then once reaching the Kokugikan I was quickly able to leave all that and was able to get up on the dohyo calmly."

(Beating Okinoumi whom he lost last basho to end his ozeki aspiration. Showing his Gaburi today.)

"It went well today. I just tried to go as normal as possible, forgetting all about what happened before.)

Okinoumi (3-4) losing to Kotoshogiku

---------------------------------------------------------

(Unable to duplicate his effort at the last basho against Kotoshogiku.)

"I guess I went in too full of myself. I really wanted to win this one for sure."

Takekaze (1-6) losing to Baruto by tsukiotoshi, 5.0 sec

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------

(Almost was not good enough)

"I got him to sideway so I really should have won this one but there is not much I can do now."

Yoshikaze (3-4) over Harumafuji by hatakikomi, 2.5 sec

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

(Rather being nonchalant after beating an ozeki.)

"I was trying to get really inside him today. Everything was up to a good timing."

Harumafuji (3-4) losing to Yoshikaze

-------------------------------------------------------

(Fell down by a slap and suffering his fourth loss already.)

"It's just amazing. I knew all along he would come out pulling down and despite all that I lost. I just don't get it."

Toyonoshima (1-6) losing to Hakuho by hatakikomi, 3.1 sec

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

(Unable to stay after a slap from yokozuna.)

"At the end if I could have made two more steps, we could have had far more interesting development."

Hakuho (7-0) over Toyonoshima

---------------------------------------------------

(Seeing Mainn-Onraey draped above the dohyo in the Kokugikan.)

"Yeah, I really felt it, hearing all that cheers, much louder than previous days. Obviously when you have that many people in, it's all well worth doing."

"Today I was able to step out firmly and was able to watch his move well. It was all timing at the end."

(Seeing his invited "Hakuho Sheet" group, 23 people who have been living in Saitama Prefecture after being evacuated from their home near the Fukushima Dai-Ichi Nuclear Plant and taking a photo with them after the bout.)

"Seeing them so happy and laughing, that really made me happy as well. It was good that I was able to win when they came over here. It's important for myself to compete with care till the Senshuraku."

("Hakuho Sheet" project - a portion of the proceeds from an official Hakuho Supporter song, "Ten Un" (literally meaning Heavenly Fortune") sung by former sekitori and singer Daishi and singer songwriter Junpei Oda to be used to invite victims of quake and tsunami to the Kokugikan.)

* Today's "Mark Sheet" Kyokai's Fan Survey at the Kokugikan top Makuuchi winner: Takanoyama

Juryo West 9 Kaonishiki, 33, of Azumazeki Beya will be returning from Day 8 on September 18. He will be facing Chiyonokuni. Kaonishiki injured his right knee and went on kyujo on Day 6.

Juryo West 4 Sotairyu of Tokitsukaze Beya lost to Myogiryu by uwatenage and injured his left leg, Sotairyu was wheeled into the Kokugikan clinic and was diagnosed with ligament tear in his left thigh. It's not clear yet if he will need to go on kyujo.

On Day 7 there was an incident of losing rikishi announced as the winner in Jonidan. In Tochitensho and Naramisugi bout, the gyoji believed Tochitensho who pushed Naramisugi out of the dohyo stepped out first and gave the decision to Naramisugi. After Naramisugi was announced as the winner in the arena, one of the dohyo judges realized the error and called both back in for a mono-ii session. The judges agreed there was no Isamiashi and Tochitensho was declared as the winner. "It was our miss, we were obviously not paying full attention and failed our responsibility," said Takadagawa oyakata (former Sekiwake Akinoshima), one of the dohyo judges present.

"I didn't think my foot was out but I do feel lucky," Tochitensho said, while Naramisugi was perplexed and rather upset. "I actually thought I lost it but then I was announced as the winner in the announcement to the spectators, it's kind of weird to get a mono-ii after," Naramisugi added dejectedly.

The Kyokai decided to call the day's attendance to be within their sell out range and had their Maiin-Onray drape to be unrolled down. The number of unsold tickets were 2,799, but they considered they had 75% capacity filled. There is no clear cut standard for Maiin Onray and it is left to a decision by the Operation Manager of Tokyo Basho, currently assigned to Dewanoumi oyakata, former Sekiwake Washuyama. "Well, you know, it's Saturday too. I guess it's a good thing," said Hanaregoma oyakata, Kyokai Chairman sounding rather low key. Sicne 2000, they had "Mainn-Onraey" on every Saturday basho day in Tokyo.

Edited by Jonosuke
  • Like 1

Kimurayama (2-5) losing to Takarafuji by oshidashi, 8.3 sec

(Losing his fifth straight and seeing all that black circles (for loss) next to his name, feeling he needs anything to reverse his fortune.)

"Maybe I should start drinking milk. It's white after all."

(In jonokuchi...)

"I should have followed through to get him out for sure. If I was facing more skilled opponent, I would have lost it."

Ain't that the truth... I'm guessing Homasho won't get a Christmas card.

Ain't that the truth... I'm guessing Homasho won't get a Christmas card.

That was ICE-cold, wasn't it?

"Yes, if my opponent didn't suck so badly, I might have lost. Good thing he doesn't know a mawashi from a bikini top, huh?"

I have never been a big Homasho fan, but recently he starts to earn the right to make such comments. If he will never reach sanyaku during his career, it will be a bit unfair. Ask former Sekiwake Aran.