Sign in to follow this  
Jonosuke

Rikishi Talk Day 6 Aki Basho 2011

Takanoyama (1-5) over Shotenro by Isamiashi

--------------------------------------------------------------------

(Saved by Shotenro's Isamiashi at the dohyo edge and winning his first bout in his Makuuchi debut basho after a mono-ii.)

"I tried all I could to stay inside the dohyo. I wasn't really sure what happened at the end as I was doing all I could to just stay put. I must admit my sumo isn't the best at the moment but I can tell you I am so happy about this first win. Unlike what others may say, I am not really concerned about weight difference. I am just so happy now that I really cannot describe how I feel in words alone. I also heard all the cheers for me today and I just want them to know I really appreciated their support."

(Took him over 10 years to become the first sekitori from Czech.)

"I still only have one win up here. I will have to do my best from now on to keep going."

(Takanoyama was invited to participate in the World Junior Sumo Tournament as the Czech team needed a member. He ended up placing third at the lightweight division when he was 17 years old. Subsequently through Shiroikuma's introduction, he joined Naruto Beya. Until this summer when he was promoted to Juryo he has never returned to his home land in 10 years. When he recently went to the Czech Embassy to renew his visa he was even told by a female staff that he spoke strange Czech as he has not spoken Czech for so long. At Naruto Beya he regularly gets blown away by Wakanosato and others and get bloody face almost daily but he says he has never once thought of quitting.)

"People in Czech do not know of sumo, the sumo culture. I would like to let the people there know more about Japanese culture. So for that reason alone I will have to keep doing all my best."

Hanaregoma oyakata, Kyokai chairman

--------------------------------------------------------------

(On Takanoyama)

"I am hoping he will do his best and show us his brand of exciting sumo."

Shotenro (2-4) losing to Takanoyama

------------------------------------------------------

(Pushed Takanoyama to the edge but lost by Isamiashi.)

"I knew a foot was out but I wasn't sure whether it was his or mine."

Kitataiki (5-1) over Asasekiryu by yorikiri

----------------------------------------------------------

(Beaten his nemesis Asasekiryu and winning his fifth straight.)

"I learned how to win after losing so many. I actually am not so concerned with how many I win or lose yet."

Toyohibiki (1-5) over Fujiazuma by yoritaoshi

----------------------------------------------------------------

(Finally getting his first win this basho but no smile yet.)

"I want to change the flow even a little bit with this win today."

Tochinowaka (4-2) over Wakakoyu by oshidashi

------------------------------------------------------------------------

(Lost to Sagatsukasa by Ipponseoi on Day 5 but managed to avoid consecutive loss.)

"Last night I saw my opponent got the most point and was the winner of Mark Sheet (Kyokai's Rikishi Performance Survey by the fans). After seeing he won it at the expense of my loss, I really was so psyched up today to do my best and do well."

Miyabiyama (4-2) losing to Takayasu by tsukiotoshi

----------------------------------------------------------------------

(Fooled by 21 year old Takayasu's henka.)

"I always figured he was one of the guys who come straight on. I would say it's rather bad manner to do it to his senior rikishi from his home prefecture (Ibaraki)."

Kisenosato (6-0) over Homasho by yorikiri

---------------------------------------------------------------

(Setting aside Homasho who beat three ozeki this basho.)

"It went exactly the way I wanted to go. I studied the old bouts and use them as a reference. It just worked out so well. Once I get into my form, I know exactly what I need to do to win. I am moving extremely well right now. I have not faced the top ranking rikishi yet so I will need to stay alert."

(On facing Kakuryu who is still chasing ozeki promotion on Day 7)

"I will do my best and not getting out-psyched by him."

Naruto oyakata, former Yokozuna Takanosato, Kisenosato's shisho

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

(On Kisenosato)

"Unlike other basho I have no advice to give to him this basho. He just should keep going as he is doing right now."

Kotoshogiku (6-0) over Toyonoshima by yorikiri

(Beating Toyonoshima, an opponent he rather wants to stay away.)

"I was able to do well against him finally. So now I can say the last basho was last basho and put it all behind me."

(Now winning six straight.)

"I feel my sumo is improving every single day. I feel good too."

Toyonoshima (1-5) losing to Kotoshogiku

-------------------------------------------------------------------

(Easily beaten Kotoshogiku last basho but couldn't do anything this basho.)

"It was simply a total and complete unmitigated defeat. That's all, ladies and gentlemen. Thank you and have a good night."

Kakuryu (3-3) losing to Okinoumi by yoritaoshi

---------------------------------------------------------------------

(Unable to remain patient against Okinoumi and suffering his third loss in six days in his ozeki promotion quest basho.)

"I know fully well if I stayed patient and moved steadily forward, I could have won but I lacked the strength."

(On facing Kisenosato tomorrow)

"I will do my best so that I can display my sumo even a little bit."

Izutsu oyakata, former Sekiwake Sakahoko, Kakuryu's shisho

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

(On Kakuryu)

"When you just consider sheer power, he is still behind guys like Kisenosato and Kotoshogiku. I can still see his path to Ozeki to be further away."

Okinoumi (3-3) over Kakuryu

--------------------------------------------

(Facing another sekiwake.)

"I know I know, These guys are really tough. I was really pushed back at the tachiai but somehow I managed to get a win."

Aran (0-6) losing to Harumafuji

-----------------------------------------------

(His losing streak reaches to six)

"Now I am the only one left in Makuuchi with 0-6. So tell me, what should I be doing now?"

"OK I figured it out, my conditions is nothing less than terrible and I have daunting tasks ahead. The question is when I can get a win. Is it tomorrow?"

Harumafuji (3-3) over Aran

---------------------------------------

(Finally getting his third win)

"The point is I should go through with my own sumo till the very end. I want to exert everything I have every time."

Tochiozan (5-1) over Kotooshu by yorikiri

----------------------------------------------------------------

(No problem at all against struggling Kotooshu by pushing him out in one sweep.)

"Actually I have ended up losing that way by Isamiashi too. I was focusing only on hitting him good."

Kotooshu (1-5) losing to Tochiozan

----------------------------------------------------

(Easily letting himself into a Moro-zashi from Tochiozan and unable to resist in any meaningful way.)

"..........."

(Kotooshu is going on kyujo from Day 7 and will have his fourth kadoban at the next Kyushu Basho. Tochinoshin will have a fusen win on Day 7. Kotooshu injured his right elbow prior to the basho and has looked mostly miserable.)

Hanaregoma oyakata, Kyokai chairman

-----------------------------------------------------------------

(On Kotooshu)

"He has not shown any sign of life, not displayed any of his sumo form. I understand he may be suffering from a right elbow injury but as long as he keeps getting up on the dohyo, there is no excuse."

Sadogatake oyakata, former Sekiwake Kotonowaka, Kotooshu's shisho

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

(With Kotooshu suffering his fifth loss and unlikely to get kachikoshi this basho.)

"I am not really certain what his problem is actually. I just basically told him to go on kyujo as he has not been able to show any decent sumo this basho."

"He is blessed with such a magnificent physique but he does not display a large scale sumo. If he goes on as it is, he will never make anything of himself. He will really need to fundamentally rebuild his sumo. I want to him to take some rest and grow and show some maturity before he returns at the Kyushu."

(Kotooshu becomes fourth rikishi above Juryo to go on kyujo this basho.)

Hakuho (6-0) over Takekaze by oshidashi

-------------------------------------------------------------

(On easily setting aside Takekaze)

"If you want to put it as just as usual, it is that. I basically feel it is the way it should be."

(On unbeaten Kotoshogiku and Kisenosato)

"Both have natural ability and power and I can see both have been doing extremely well up to now. If you have sekiwake rikishi doing well, the basho itself will get to be more exciting as well."

Record:

Kotooshu: 600th Mauuchi appearance

Tokitenku: 600th Makuuchi appearance

Tochiozan: 200th Makuuchi win

Attendance: 5,800

Edited by Jonosuke
  • Like 1

Miyabiyama (4-2) losing towinning over Takayasu by tsukiotoshi

(Fooled by 21 year old Takayasu's henka.)

"I always figured he was one of the guys who come straight on. I would say it's rather bad manner to do it to his senior rikishi from his home prefecture (Ibaraki)."

Not fooled. :-)

Thank you once again, i really appreciate these translations :)

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

(With Kotooshu suffering his fifth loss and unlikely to get kachikoshi this basho.)

"I am not really certain what his problem is actually. I just basically told him to go on kyujo as he has not been able to show any decent sumo this basho."

"He is blessed with such a magnificent physique but he does not display a large scale sumo. If he goes on as it is, he will never make anything of himself. He will really need to fundamentally rebuild his sumo. I want to him to take some rest and grow and show some maturity before he returns at the Kyushu."

Not your usual terms of respect and endearment that are expressed by a shisho. There is more going on here than a simple elbow injury.

Pot calling the kettle black? The former Kotonishiki once said (whilst still active as a rikishi) that if he had the body of Kotonowaka, he would have been an Ozeki...

Pot calling the kettle black?

I don't think that's a fair characterization considering 15+ years have passed since his active heyday - he could well have had an epiphany about his own missed opportunities.