Sign in to follow this  
Jonosuke

Rikishi Talk Day 4 Aki Basho 2011

Kokkai (4-0) over Tamaasuka by yoritaoshi

----------------------------------------------------------------

(Winning four straight in Makuuchi for the first time in three basho)

"If I may say so myself I think I am getting in pretty good tachiai in there. As for my neck and elbow pains, I am controlling them with pain killers before I get in there."

Kyokutenho (4-0) over Tamawashi by yorikiri

-------------------------------------------------------------------

(Finishing the Nagoya Basho with two win and 13 loss, 37 year old won his fourth straight starting from Day 1 this basho.)

"Wow! I doubled my win from the Nagoya!"

"I feel great. When you are winning, you respond better too."

Tochiozan (3-1) over Goeido by yorikiri

-----------------------------------------------------------

(Beating his rival from high school days, Goeido. and winning his third this basho. )

"I was able to go with a flow. He tends to pull once he gets pushed hard so I was trying to move forward. I have been competing against him from way way back and I can really get psyched up facing him every time."

Kakuryu (2-2) over Toyonoshima by oshitaoshi

--------------------------------------------------------------------

(Appearing to be overcautious and deliberate but still able to stop his losing streak at two.)

"I am well aware of his skill and techniques at the dohyo edge so I was really careful not get myself rushing too much. I have been doing a lot of training sessions with him so I just tried to do the same way."

(Getting his record this basho to even and still not out of ozeki promotion hunt yet.)

"We've just began you know. Each and every single bout, I need to do all my best. That's all there is to it."

Okinoumi (2-2) losing to Baruto by oshidashi

------------------------------------------------------------------

"I never expected he would come in with tsuppari. Perhaps I should learn how to do that too."

(Finishing his yokozuna and ozeki bouts with 2 win and 2 loss record.)

"Well the next, I hope to finish 3 win and 2 loss against sekiwake and komusubi group...Hmmm I guess I should aim higher? "

Kisenosato (4-0) over Aran by tsukidashi

---------------------------------------------------------------

(Easily beating Aran and winning his fourth since Day 1 for the first time since he has landed in Sanyaku. While Kakuryu and Kotoshogiku vying for ozeki promotion, he appears to be getting comfortable staying in Sanyaku.)

"Rather than getting concerned what others may be doing, I just focus on what I am doing, what I should be doing. I just want to keep going without taking things for granted and not let myself get distracted."

"Normally I get too emotional and easily fall down or something in a bout like today but this basho I have been able to stay calm. I feel I am also moving really well."

Aran (0-4) losing to Kisenosato

--------------------------------------------

(Losing four straight)

"*?!#!!, I am so clumsy. I attempted quite a few pulldowns but he didn't fall down. It was a miserable failure."

Kotoshogiku (4-0) over Takekaze by kotenage

---------------------------------------------------------------------

(Setting aside not exactly his favorite opponent Takekaze.)

"I was really able to execute well by staying really close to him. I think everything went smoothly."

"Some opponents may be ranked lower than me but you know what, they have as much ability and strength as I have. It's all a culmination of daily efforts. Tomorrow is a tomorrow. I just need to reset myself and come back here strong."

Kotooshu (1-3) over Yoshikaze by tsukitaoshi

----------------------------------------------------------------------

(Downing Yoshikaze and avoiding four straight losses and finally getting his first win this basho.)

"It's a kind of late (to get his first win), isn't it? I was only thinking about pushing today."

Homasho (3-1) over Harumafuji by oshitaoshi

--------------------------------------------------------------------

(Getting himself back 50 cm from the shikiri line facing Harumafuji at tachiai to generate more power out of tachiai as well as killing Harumafuji's speed sumo.)

"I feel just great. It worked out so well, more than what I have imagined it. I have been losing to him all the time (2 win against 8 loss, the last win recorded at the 2007 Natsu), so I needed to think how I could make him uncomfortable and came up with the idea. Obviously I was closer to the edge so there was a risk but I was confident I could generate more power and I could stop his speedy sumo."

"This is the world of competition. We really don't get up on the dohyo thinking about your opponent's win and loss record. Every and each encounter is a serious competition."

(With his wife expecting and a child due for December 25, approaching sumo with a new mind set.)

"Sure, you know, things are a lot different now that I know I am not alone."

Harumafuji (2-2) losing to Homasho

----------------------------------------------------

(With the loss against another Hiramaku, for all intents and purposes, his yokozuna promotion chance going down the drain.)

"I admit his tachiai tactic threw me off. I just jumped out without knowing what I wanted to do. I never experienced something like that before. It was a clear and complete loss. It was a good learning experience. I have no regret. I will have to do my best from tomorrow on."

Takanohana oyakata, Director of Judging

-------------------------------------------------------------

"Yokozuna promotion? Well right now we are no longer at the point. I just hope he goes all out till the very end."

Hanaregoma oyakata, Kyokai chairman

-----------------------------------------------------------

(On Harumafuji's promotion chance.)

"Well we must acknowledge it is now extremely difficult. But remember the basho is only one third old. We still have a lot going on."

Takuhiko Tsuruta, YDC Chairman

-------------------------------------------------------

"This is a crushing defeat, this is extremely damaging."

Tanosuke Sawamura, YDC member

(On Harumafuji)

"There is no point in even talking about the promotion when he is losing to two Hiramaku rikishi. He shouldn't be even thinking about becoming a yokozuna, it's impossible. It just goes without saying."

"I can tell you one thing. Even if he happens to win the yusho this basho, I will never ever recommend him to get promoted. Despite all my objection, if they ever promote him to yokozuna, I will resign from the committee right away. You can't be serious. It's pure silliness. "

Wakanosato (1-3) losing to Hakuho by yorikiri

-----------------------------------------------------------------

"I really didn't mind so much about losing today but I wanted to display a little better sumo."

Hakuho (4-0) over Wakanosato

----------------------------------------------

(Overwhelming Wakanosato but showing a sign of appreciation to the veteran rikishi whom he started out by losing six straight after facing him first at the 2004 Aki Basho and then winning 11 straight now.)

"You know when I was coming up on the banzuke ranking, he was one of the rikishi I admired so much. I had so much respect for him, aspired to be like him. I must say I learned so much from him."

(On Harumafuji losing his second this basho)

"He still should have a flow from the last basho. The important thing now is not to get too concerned about getting promoted to yokozuna. Obviously it's easier said than done."

The Kyokai announced former Makuuchi Kitakachidoki, Katsunoura oyakata will inherit Isenoumi Toshiyori share and will carry on Isenoumi Beya as of September 25. Former Sekiwake Fujinokawa, the current Isenoumi oyakata, will become 65 years old, Kyokai's mandatory retirement age on September 26. The current Isnoumi oyakata left his active career at the age of 26 years old and assumed Tatekawa Toshiyori. In 1982 he has inherited Isenoumi Beya and developed Sekiwake Tosanoumi, Kitakachidoki and Makuuchi Oikari. Katsunoura oyakata retired in August 2000 and was coaching at Isenoumi Beya.

Makuuchi East 9 Masunoyama, 20, of Chiganoura Beya injured his left ankle during his bout against Tochinowaka on Day 4 and was diagnosed with an ankle ligament damage. His oyakata Chiganoura oyakata indicated Masunoyama will go on kyujo from Day 5 on September 15. This is his second kyujo since he withdrew from this Hatsu basho. His opponent on Day 5 Tamawashi will get a fusen win. "There is nothing you can do about the injury so all we can do is to get him treated fully," Chiganoura oyakata said. Masunoyama became the second rikishi above Juryo to go on kyujo. Earlier Juryo Aoiyama withdrew from the basho.

Mark Sheet Kokugikan Survey Winner: Makuuchi - Homasho

Tanosuke Sawamura, YDC member

(On Harumafuji)

"There is no point in even talking about the promotion when he is losing to two Hiramaku rikishi. He shouldn't be even thinking about becoming a yokozuna, it's impossible. It just goes without saying."

"I can tell you one thing. Even if he happens to win the yusho this basho, I will never ever recommend him to get promoted. Despite all my objection, if they ever promote him to yokozuna, I will resign from the committee right away. You can't be serious. It's pure silliness. "

I agree - promoting somebody after yusho'ing with two hiramaku losses would be a completely ridiculous thing to do.

12-3 yusho would be embarrassing, yes. Especially to Hakuho and the sekiwake bunch.