Sign in to follow this  
Jonosuke

Rikishi Talk Day 2 Aki Basho 2011

Chiyonokuni (Juryo East 9, 1-1) over Sadanoumi by abisetaoshi

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

(Suffering a deep gush above his right eye prior to his bout, losing his consciousness and fell over but still winning his bout.)

"I was trying to psych myself up holding my breath. I had to go to a hospital to get it all stitched up."

Takamisakari (Juryo West 7, 1-1) over Kimikaze by hatakikomi

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

(Smartly slapping down Waseda University grad and Juryo debut Kimikaze to get his first win this basho)

"I never faced him before so I had no idea how to go against him. But somehow he tripped over."

"I am relieved. I can even say I am little bit happy. This means that I won't finish the basho with all loss record."

"Obviously I won't rest easy just because I got a win now. I will go out as hard as I can every single bout."

Takanoyama (0-2) losing to Kimurayama by oshidashi

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------

(Blown away again, losing two straight)

"I am experiencing much sharper powerful tachiai since I am up in Makuuchi."

Kimurayama (2-0) over Takanoyama

-----------------------------------------------------

(Pushing out 98 kg Takanoyama rather easily.)

"While I was going through the shikiri, I was kind of amazed realizing how unbelievably skinny this guy really was."

Tosayutaka (2-0) over Daido by uwatenage

------------------------------------------------------------------

(Withdrew from the last basho after injuring his left knee and now winning two straight to start the basho)

"I am trying to go out trying not to worry so much about the injury. But by even winning two, I feel things have gotten a lot easier."

Yoshiazuma (0-2) losing to Aminishiki by tsukiotoshi

------------------------------------------------------------------------------

(Making his Makuuchi debut and losing to crafty veteran Aminishiki)

"I realized after going against him, his skill level was far above mine."

Kotoshogiku (2-0) over Yoshikaze by yorikiri

-------------------------------------------------------------------

(Yoshikaze appeared to attempt luring Kotoshogiku into a quick tachiai and then stopped moving perhaps thinking it was a false start but Kotoshogiku kept pressing and won easily amid rather loud booing calls.)

"Hey, I feel sorry about this too but you know a win is a win. As far as I was concerned the bout just ended before I knew what happened."

Yoshikaze

----------- ----

(Repeatedly asked by reporters for a comment but declined to talk)

"................"

Nakamura oyakata, Chief dohyo judge (former Sekiwake Fujizakura)

-------------------------------------------------------------------------

(On Yoshikaze)

"Not sure what he was thinking but the gyoji already drew his gunbai and you gotta know if you are the initiator then you certainly can't let yourself unguarded."

Shozaburo Kimura, the gyoji

------------------------------------------

(Asked if Kotoshogku actually put his hand on the ground.)

"I judged them both to have touched the ground. I have not heard from any judge or rikishi for a matta."

Wakanosato (1-1) over Kakuryu by okuridashi

--------------------------------------------------------------------

(Beating Kakuryu in his ozeki promotion challenging basho)

"I had nothing to spare, was desperately going after him. This basho I am occupying a rank in which I can face the yokozuna and ozeki, I want to enjoy it to the fullest."

Kakuryu (1-1) losing to Wakanosato

---------------------------------------------------

(Suffering a painful loss indeed)

"I don't know but I may have gone out feeling I had too much of my own tachiai stance. You know when you start thinking you got your tachiai and you feel you can take everything for granted. Sometimes you want to win quickly then you rush yourself too much."

"All I can do is for each and every bout I will try all my best."

Kisenosato (2-0) over Takekaze by tsukidashi

---------------------------------------------------------------------

(Focusing on speedier sumo and winning second straight)

"I was really psyched up for this one. I want to establish a good flow before I start facing the top ranking rikishi."

Okinoumi (2-0) over Harumafuji by tsukiotoshi

------------------------------------------------------------------

(Beating Harumafuji after downing another ozeki,Kotooshu and now slated to face Hakuho on Day 3)

"Simply put I was losing the bout totally but the fact that I have beaten an ozeki, that itself I consider amazing."

"I have no particular strategy to go against the yokozuna. Basically I will be facing him all on my instinct. For one thing, going against ozeki and yokozuna is easier as even if you lose the bout, no one says much but if you end up winning, a lot of folks can go home happy. If I beat the yokozuna, can't you guys make a DVD or something calling it Sensational Okinoumi?"

(Hearing he was awarded the top star of the day by the fans attending the basho today.)

"Actually I found my sumo today should have been rated only one point. If they are doing a survey like this, I hope they can come up with a category, like for Oshi-zumo or for Yotsu-zumo you know."

(Been told many started thinking he would be the next Japanese hope to revive the dwindling ticket sales.)

"Well you know we should do more to distribute tickets like to Sumo Kyokai members or even lowering ticket price. If we can get a sell out that way, people might think they want to come back again. Anyway that's what my oyakata (Hakkaku oyakata) often says after he has few drinks..."

Harumafuji (1-1) losing to Okinoumi

---------------------------------------------------

(Suffering the last second Tsukiotoshi by Okinoumi and one giant leap backwards to his yokozuna aspiration)

"I sensed he was backing down so I wanted to take him out with one sweep. But..ah...it ended up as a quite wasted effort. You don't need to ask me about it at all."

(With his last three basho record of basho withdrawal, 8 win and 10 win respectively, Yokozuna Deliberation Committee Chairman Takuhiko Tsuruta asking for 14 win or more, this loss at this stage is rather serious.)

"I will have to come back here with a totally refreshed mind. We've just started the basho so nothing has settled yet."

(On staring over the dohyo judges hard after the bout as if to say he was not happy with the decision, a conduct that can be taken as ungraceful.)

"Well it's just that I felt his leg and my elbow touched the ground at the same time."

(Reported as an injury to hip area but it's understood more like a pimple)

"It's all fixed now. As I said I will do all my best from tomorrow."

Hanaregoma oyakata, Kyokai chairman

--------------------------------------------------------------

(On Harumafuji's loss today)

"If we are looking at this from a perspective of yokozuna promotion, it is certainly a painful loss."

Hakkaku oyakata, former Yokozuna Hokutoumi

-----------------------------------------------------------------

(On Harumafuji)

"It's as if he wanted to win so badly, he leaves no space for any mental mistakes. First he will need to realize he will have to go with his own sumo style."

Takuhiko Tsuruta, YDC Chairman

-----------------------------------------------------

(On Harumafuji)

"This is just my personal observation but unless he wins all his remaining bouts, the promotion will be extremely difficult. Losing to a Hiramaku is totally unexpected. Somehow he lost what he had the last basho, a sense of calm and stability. Perhaps he is feeling he had to win so much that he is not able to relax and let his natural ability to shine through."

Toyonoshima (1-1) over Kotooshu by shitatenage

-----------------------------------------------------------------------

(Getting himself deep inside Kotooshu and executed a perfect nage)

"It's been a long while since I was able to go that deep in him. When I did a throw, I felt I got it. Back when I was beating him (losing six straight in his last six encounters), it was exactly this way too."

Homasho (1-1) losing to Hakuho by yorikiri

--------------------------------------------------------------

(Losing every one of his eleven encounters against Hakuho)

"I have been watching the video over and over and I am trying to come up with a different strategy but so far nothing has worked. Maybe because I am going along with his sumo style all the time."

Hakuho (2-0) over Homasho

-----------------------------------------

"It just turned into a good form for me. I saw he kind of floated so I just pushed him out."

(On an injury he may have suffered the previous day)

"I am OK. Winning bouts, that's the best medicine around."

(On Harumafuji suffering his first loss already)

"I saw the bout from the Hanamichi. I actually want to say this and that but you know he knows it better than anyone else."

It's been reported that Maegashira West 14 Shotenro, 29, (from Mongolia) of Fujishima Beya married a 34 year old younger sister of Kyokutenho. "My oyakata was happy to hear the news actually," Shotenro said. "Apparently they have been seeing each other without my knowledge," Kyokutenho said. "But if my sister is getting married, I'd rather want someone I know as I feel more at ease that way," The details of wedding and receptions were not immediately known.

Day 2 Makuuchi and Juryo Rikishi Rating by Fan Survey at the Kokugikan

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Makuuchi:

1. Okinoumi - 480

2. Toyonoshima - 458

3. Wakanosato - 429

Hakkaku oyakata, Okionumi's shisho

-------------------------------------------------------

(On Okinoumi winning the survey today)

"I want him to display a sumo fitting to win the survey every day even if he ends up losing the bout."

Juryo:

1. Takamisakari - 205

2. Tenkaiho - 204

3. Sotairyu - 188

(Scpre: Very Satisfied - 2, Satisfied - 1, Average - 0, Unsatisfied - -1)

(Today's voting was based on 334 out of 1,000 survey sheets distributed.)

Juryo East 6 Aoiyama, 25, of Tagonura Beya will be entering the Aki Basho from Day 3, September 13. He has been absent since Day 1 due to herniated disc. Aoiyama is scheduled to face Shironoryu.

The Kyokai announced that there were 5,683 tickets unsold for Day 2, breaking the number of unsold tickets, 5.118, record set on Day 3 this Hatsu Basho, establishing the new record for the unsold tickets since the current Kokugikan opened in January 1985. The present capacity of Kokugikan is 11,000.

Attendance: 5,300

• Like 1

First, RIKISHI TALK ROCKS! (and so does the lower division results postings).

Second, I kind of like the fan survey idea, but hope the results don't end up leaning towards "popular" rikishi, rather than those who were truly the best performer. I can't imagine someone with a henka history (i.e., Aran) ever winning, even if he truly had the best performance of the day. And reviewing Juryo, I think Tenkaiho and Sotairyu had better sumo than Takamisakari (even though I'm a fan).

Third, RIKISHI TALK REALLY ROCKS!

-shimodahito

Day 2 Makuuchi and Juryo Rikishi Rating by Fan Survey at the Kokugikan

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Makuuchi:

1. Okinoumi - 480

2. Toyonoshima - 458

3. Wakanosato - 429

Hakkaku oyakata, Okionumi's shisho

-------------------------------------------------------

(On Okinoumi winning the survey today)

"I want him to display a sumo fitting to win the survey every day even if he ends up losing the bout."

Juryo:

1. Takamisakari - 205

2. Tenkaiho - 204

3. Sotairyu - 188

(Scpre: Very Satisfied - 2, Satisfied - 1, Average - 0, Unsatisfied - -1)

(Today's voting was based on 334 out of 1,000 survey sheets distributed.)

This whole evaluation crap is total bollocks. It's just a popularity contest, and the guy with the biggest upset or Takamisakari will win. Japanese rikishi almost exclusively will win. The original intention of course was something totally different-to try to spot lethargic sumo.

Unacceptable. They are all fired, including the fans!

This whole evaluation crap is total bollocks. It's just a popularity contest, and the guy with the biggest upset or Takamisakari will win. Japanese rikishi almost exclusively will win. The original intention of course was something totally different-to try to spot lethargic sumo.

The daily top scores being nonsense doesn't imply that it can't achieve that goal. Would be interesting to see who's scoring the bottom totals each day. (Granted, those might also be Japanese/Gaijin-skewed...)

The daily top scores being nonsense doesn't imply that it can't achieve that goal. Would be interesting to see who's scoring the bottom totals each day. (Granted, those might also be Japanese/Gaijin-skewed...)

Without looking, I'll bet Yoshikaze is the flavor of the day, followed by Houmashou and maybe Kisenosato.. I am very skeptic it will achieve any goal..

Without looking, I'll bet Yoshikaze is the flavor of the day, followed by Houmashou and maybe Kisenosato.. I am very skeptic it will achieve any goal..

In the end, maybe the actual goal is to get the names of the current generation of Japanese rikishi out into the public. What with the casual fans not knowing anybody below ozeki, and well, that doesn't leave a lot of choice now...

In the end, maybe the actual goal is to get the names of the current generation of Japanese rikishi out into the public. What with the casual fans not knowing anybody below ozeki, and well, that doesn't leave a lot of choice now...

That indeed is a commendable goal. Anything to fill those desolate seats. It really makes me sad, this emptiness. And vice versa.

Rikishi talk on a weekday! Thank you so much.

As for rikishi evaluation - they should only be evaluating the losers if the purpose is to catch yaocho... Not that all yaocho bouts involve simple folding or walking out, as was pointed out repeatedly in this Forum, but that's even more complicated to judge through audience surveys...

Edited by Manekineko