Sign in to follow this  
Kintamayama

New Egyptian recruit- Oosunaarashi

Why do people keep talking about this guy? There will be plenty of time to praise him if and when he actually accomplishes something.

Why do people keep talking about this guy? There will be plenty of time to praise him if and when he actually accomplishes something.

If you would watch this forum attentively you'd always find people talking about young rikishi who are promising and could make it to sekitori (or rikishi who will never make it in the persistence watch). There are people here to help them on their way and support them as much as possible. And in my opinion it's as much interesting to attend a rikishi's career from the beginning on as it is to follow the tournaments and the big guys.

• Like 2

Why are there people wondering why others talk about someone they aren't (yet) interested in ?

He seems to be handling Sandanme opposition quite well so far.

I have a question for the more experienced members, though: From a Sd75 ranking, it would probably be impossible that even a 7-0 yusho would see him to Makushita, right?

No, that's quite alright, any 7-0 will send a rikishi from sandanme to makushita, a particular rank or winning the yusho isn't required. See this recent example, for instance.

Edited by Asashosakari

No, that's quite alright, any 7-0 will send a rikishi from sandanme to makushita, a particular rank or winning the yusho isn't required. See this recent example, for instance.

Thanks a lot for the immediate answer, Asashosakari! Well, I do hope he manages it then, at the moment it seems to me that he should be in makushita, and there we'll be able to see what his actual current level is.

The biggest thing standing in the way of his 7-0 is probably that there's a fairly high likelihood he'll end up facing the double-headed collegiate monster of Hamaguchi and Iwasaki at 6-0, if he makes it that far. Though maybe the schedule ends up working out differently, it's impossible to call at the moment.

Why are there people wondering why others talk about someone they aren't (yet) interested in ?

There would be no giant thread on "New Egyptian Recruit-Osunaarashi" if he weren't a Muslim.

If Osunaarashi was Japanese he'd be just another rikishi. That's the bottom line.

There would be no giant thread on "New Egyptian Recruit-Osunaarashi" if he weren't a Muslim.

If Osunaarashi was Japanese he'd be just another rikishi. That's the bottom line.

Oh really? What if he were a Japanese Muslim. Or a coptic Egyptian? or a Bahá'í from Bahrein?

To me it's simply him being the first rikishi hailing from the African continent that makes me want to follow him - and maybe also his advanced skill level which feeds my curiosity to see how quickly he will make it to sekitori / sanyaku or to fulfilling his dream to become yokozuna.

If he was Japanese he'd be someone like Sakumayama/Jokoryu and people would still be talking about him.

And, lets face it, his being the first African rikishi is an additional incentive for people to follow his career, as they once did for Takamiyama, Kotooshu and other "national firsts".

Add to that his having been a short-time forum member before being a pro rikishi, and you get a lot of people here fond of him.

3) I didn't know that Osunaarashi was a former member of the forum.

Me neither. That's awesome. When ?

And, lets face it, his being the first African rikishi is an additional incentive for people to follow his career, as they once did for Takamiyama, Kotooshu and other "national firsts".

Yes, even Takanoyama has a wide following. And not even for being the only Czech out there, but mainly because of his different look and style. Which Osunaarashi has as well, with that upper torso.

Please don't feed.

1) You just did.

2) Is that an order? People can make up their own minds.

3) I didn't know that Osunaarashi was a former member of the forum.

(Some people wouldn't know the meaning of the word 'civility', even with the use of a dictionary?)

Me neither. That's awesome. When ?

From Kintamayama's original post in this thread:

And this..

Just seen his first bout of the basho ... that was very convicing. He seems to be able to dominate in low Sandamne.

Boody comes across as a very nice, very humble guy, not to mention he looks very strong indeed, i too am very interested in him and hope he reaches the heights.

very humble guy

Check his facebook; the things he writes are far from humble. I mean, nothing unusual for somebody who wants to succeed in his sport, but he seems to be over confident. Not that he is not crushing his oponents, but still a bit more hinkaku would be nice.

Osunaarashi was thoroughly defeated in his match this evening, yet the shimpan engaged in a totally unwarranted monoii.

If you watch closely, Oazuma's right foot stepped out at the same time Osunaarashi fell. Torinaoshi was the right call.

Well, competition is getting much better from now on, today was the first close encounter with the (very) lucky outcome for Osunaarashi. He should be alert that a Sandanme yusho won't be a walk in the park.

Osunaarashi was thoroughly defeated in his match this evening, yet the shimpan engaged in a totally unwarranted monoii.

If you watch closely, Oazuma's right foot stepped out at the same time Osunaarashi fell. Torinaoshi was the right call.

Indeed. Didn't see it at first. Oazuma even stepped out before Osunaarashi's back hit the ground, but by then maybe his heel is already touching as well, so a rematch seemed fair.

very humble guy

Check his facebook; the things he writes are far from humble. I mean, nothing unusual for somebody who wants to succeed in his sport, but he seems to be over confident. Not that he is not crushing his oponents, but still a bit more hinkaku would be nice.

agree here but I think he is being 'managed' a little too closely in terms of public image by klingons, which will eventually backfire.

The biggest thing standing in the way of his 7-0 is probably that there's a fairly high likelihood he'll end up facing the double-headed collegiate monster of Hamaguchi and Iwasaki at 6-0, if he makes it that far. Though maybe the schedule ends up working out differently, it's impossible to call at the moment.

Great call! He has to fight Hamaguchi for his 7-0... That should be a great test of strength for him.

Day 13 of Aki 12. He was hesitant on his tachi-ai, and allowed himself to be overwhelmed by Hamaguchi. 6-1 for Aki.

very humble guy

Seemed humble enough in defeat in his final bout this basho.

I am so sorry cause i was not good enough to win today but i promise you all to train much more harder than before to make you all proud of me .

Since that's his first honbasho defeat, I believe it will be a good character-building experience for him. In any case, apart from easily losing that one, he had the scare against Oazuma where he survived by sheer luck, so it seems he has a bit more to learn before he can make a decent makushita presence.