Sign in to follow this  
Kintamayama

New Egyptian recruit- Oosunaarashi

There was an interview with Osunaarashi on the BBC World Service show Outlook today, as one of their "extraordinary personal stories from around the world". It's available to listen to or download from http://www.bbc.co.uk/podcasts/series/outlook (the interview starts 18 minutes into the May 2 edition)‎.

Edited by ryafuji

My turn to say that a link isn't working...the dot at the end needs to go.

Heh, the sound slider on the BBC player goes up to 11.

Edited by Asashosakari

My turn to say that a link isn't working...the dot at the end needs to go.

Apologies... fixed.

good day all,

Some of these articles mention that Oosunaarashi is the first Muslim rikishi -- and mention his non-pork diet.

I'm not sure of Kazafuzan's religion, but most ethnic Kazakhs are Muslim, so maybe it's possible Oosunaarashi is the first practicing-Muslim?

-shimodahito

Certainly a former commentater has told me that one new recruit asked her whether he would be expected to drink alcohol and eat pork. When told he would, apparently the shin-deshi said he would keep his religion in his heart.

Aiming for the first ever yusho while fasting.

On day 13 Osunaarashi will begin to fast with the start of the Ramadan on July the 20th.

With dinner after dark 7:05 p.m. and drinking and a small snack before sunrise 4:52 a.m. he will try to cover this. The rest of the time he's constrained to gargling.

His last bout and maybe a yusho-ketteisen will be affected.

He will eat only moderately (80% full) at dinner and eat again before going to bed to get more calories.

"In Egypt I did body-building during Ramadan. This time I can do it as well. I want to get the jonidan yusho"

20120627-655979-1-L.jpg

Hochi

PK2012062802100075_size0.jpg

Edited by Akinomaki

Osunaarashi may have a right (shoulder) acromioclavicular joint dislocation.
The rikishi from Otake-beya where at degeiko to Azumazeki-beya, Osunaarashi was not to be seen.
According to the oyakata, during training on the second he fell on his shoulder and his right collarbone came loose. No diagnosis yet about how long it takes to heal. The oyakata: "It's not that big a thing. When the swelling recedes it's OK".
Presently he can't move his shoulder and has it taped. He did training for the lower half.

Edited by Akinomaki

From his facebook page :

"I

wanna be in touch with you in every thing and i want you to know that i am in a hospital for 3 days cause of many things happen suddenly (ٍStrong Fever , a blood clot in the left leg and injury in the right shoulder) and i am still in hospital So i don't know yet if i will enter this competition or not... pls pray for me !"

Edited by Borislav

From his facebook page :

"I

wanna be in touch with you in every thing and i want you to know that i am in a hospital for 3 days cause of many things happen suddenly (ٍStrong Fever , a blood clot in the left leg and injury in the right shoulder) and i am still in hospital So i don't know yet if i will enter this competition or not... pls pray for me !"

He's a brave guy, the longer i follow Sumo the more i become aware of the big toll rikishi pay with injury, it's humbling really to realise how much effort these guys put into this, i feel for him because being far away from home at best is an exciting adventure never to be forgotten, but being ill and far away is very different even if well looked after, i very much hope he makes quick and full recovery.

And on top of it all, Ramadan..

Now that's a long time ago. Or is he nervous about the upcoming Ramadan, starting around July 20th?

And on top of it all, Ramadan..

Now that's a long time ago. Or is he nervous about the upcoming Ramadan, starting around July 20th?

Indeed, but he's not nervous, I am..

You know what man this is bullshit. WIth the Nagoya Basho it will be my anniversary of watching sumo and I've come to realize that the schedule is unreasonable. To expect people to perform for 15 days every 2 months at top level athletics without consideration for injury is simply unreasonable.

Top level athletes get hurt. Sumo is a violent sport. This "loss by WO" shit is unreasonable!

I think I must be missing something here. Where I come from, a blood clot is a DVT. Surely the people at the hospital have told him he will not be taking part in the basho.

My wife was diagnosed with a DVT just before xmas last year and didn't get clear of it 'til April.

Or is the whole "enter this competition" just media fodder?

Or is the whole "enter this competition" just media fodder?

It usually is. Three days in the hospital is no laughing matter for sure.

Officially kyujo as of today. He plans to enter later, said someone connected.

Oosunaarashi will be back on day 6. Two losses already, but a 5-2 or even a 4-3 should get him into Sandanme next Basho.

So it must not have really been a blood clot or DVT ar Ronnie mentioned or he could not be cleared already!

The official kyujo reason was phlegmon.

He returned today and overwhelmed Kurenishiki (tsukidashi). "I haven't trained at all lately. I lost 15 kilos -I am now 130 kilos. I'm just happy to be back on the dohyo," he said. Asked about the Ramadan which starts on July 20th with the fasting during the day that goes with it: "No problem. I'll do my best to win my next four matches.." he added.

f-ishi120713ebypt-ns-big.jpg

Edited by Kintamayama
  • Like 1

Hochi reports that to support Oosunaarashi, a personal koenkai is about to be formed, which is highly unusual for a jonidan rikishi. The central person is the proprietor of an Egyptian restaurant. About 350 people already have been assembled.

Edited by Akinomaki