Sign in to follow this  
Zentoryu

Soken: Asashoryu not good

This Soken report was just posted to the SML by Joe Kuroda:

At the Soken training exhibit held at Kokugikan on

April 30, Yokozuna Asashoryu finished with 9 wins and

6 losses and was reported to lack sharpness and

brilliance he has shown in the last two bashos. He

appeared to have slowed down considerably.

Kaio apparently looked not to bad.  Tochiazuma was

absent which indicates his shoulder injury is really

serious and there is a definite likelihood he will

miss the Natsu Basho or withdraw before the

Senshuraku.  If he does or gets a makekoshi, he will

be a Sekiwake.

=====

.....Jonosuke

Sounds a bit contradictory of Asa's performance in Keiko the other day. Perhaps he was feeling under the weather?

Wonder who the six losses came against.

Triv but may interest someone. Soken isn't held on the actual tournament dohyo but is rather held 'out back' so to speak. Other dohyos out there - training areas for the kids etc. Technically it is the Kokugikan but it isn't THE Kokugikan dohyo you see on TV.

Sounds a bit contradictory of Asa's performance in Keiko the other day. Perhaps he was feeling under the weather?

Asa is suffering from a bad cold. That is the reason given in the papers this morning for his mediocre showing at souken today. "It was bad.. As much as I tried, my body wouldn't listen", he said. Kotomitsuki, who beat him three times said,"Today's Yokozuna wasn't his usual self. He wasn't going all out as usual". The overall impression was that he was going easy today. He was out of breath quite quickly. "I'll have to bring my body to its utmost before the Basho", added Asashouryuu. I did mention he went to the KKGK infirmary after suffering from a sore throat two days ago. There were no Ozeki/Yokozuna direct confrontations. The two Yokozuna candidates were there, but had very few bouts. KaioU had 9 and won them all, Chiyotaikai had 14 and was 8-6 and seemed out of breath and did not look good.. Musoyama had only 9 as well. Tochiazuma was absent of course.

Asa losing to Kotomitsuki

f-sp-040430-2301.jpg

Edited by Kintamayama

Asa is suffering from a bad cold. That is the reason given in the papers this morning for his mediocre showing at souken today.

I have always heard that if you have a cold, you should be resting, not exercising. I have even heard that training in that condition could be dangerous for your body. But I don't know whether that's true or if it's a myth.

Kaio apparently looked not to bad.  =====

.....Jonosuke

Kaio was not so good and this was pointed out by NHK too who usually don't offer opinions.

Something like - will have to work harder if.....

Could MR Kuroda be a Kaio fan?

Taikai didn't feature on NHK at all.

The losses - 3 gainst Kotomitsuki on Kinta'san's comment and I think I saw one against Tamanoshima.

2 more

Edited by Adachinoryu

Kaio apparently looked not to bad.  =====

.....Jonosuke

Kaio was not so good and this was pointed out by NHK too who usually don't offer opinions.

Something like - will have to work harder if.....

Could MR Kuroda be a Kaio fan?

KaioU was actually 9-0. Chiyotaikai was the one with the 8-6. And Joe just translates the papers.. I saw the same article, and that's what it said..Now, if KaioU didn't go 9-0, that's a totally different story..

So Asa made KK with a serious cold.....?

He IS good....... B-)

"I am disappointed.This is totally unsastisfactory!", boomed Kitanoumi Rijichou, referring to Chiyotaikai and KaioU's approach to today's souken. They were apparently not "into it". Chiyotaikai did some half hearted bouts, was seen being easily disposed of by Asasekiryuu, and doing exclusively defensive Sumo. Neither did any butsugari, as opposed to Asashouryu, who did. "There's no reason to endanger myself needlessly. I don't want to get injured", explained Chiyotaikai. "Till the basho, I will prepare myself", said KaioU. After 5-6 bouts, they both looked out of breath. Asashouryuu also seemed out of breath. "I had trouble breathing today. I have one week, so I'll do my best to get into shape", he said.

This picture speaks volumes..

Edited by Kintamayama

Poor boys.

Just feeling sorry for themselves.

They know they will be thrashed by Asashoryu-cold or no cold.

Edited by Ryunokaze

Poor boys.

Thanks for that comment. (You are going off-topic...) Gets my vote for the most predictable comment of sumoforum.net. Get real and out of your fantasy world. Stop bashing everyone else and praising Asashoryu, it's getting really lame. (Just do not get it...)

You and your constant throwing of dirt at the Yokozuna are also very predictable.

Show some respect!!!! (You are going off-topic...)

You and your constant throwing of dirt at the Yokozuna are also very predictable.

Show some respect!!!! (You are going off-topic...)

Why go with the mainstream, that's no fun ;-)

Show some respect!!!!

Edited by Yubiquitoyama

Poor boys.

Yes, very clever psychology and stating facts!

Kotomitsuki was most eager rikishi doing a whole lot of bouts. 24 altogether. There is a chance that he'll face Asashoryu on shonichi and he looked genki.

Cold-burdened Asashoryu still has enough time to get rid of the cold and get better keiko done.

KaioU was having bouts against Kyokutenho, Kakizoe, Shimotori and Asasekiryu winning all 9. "I don't want to get setbacks with my back condition. I have to listen to my body. I'll prepare with my own pace" he stated after critizism towards his lack of bouts. Chiyotaikai hinted he has some problems with his calf even now. Is it just me or has Taikai been in bad shape in keiko for at least 4 months now?? Also at January soken he was getting squashed by Kotomitsuki and now again bad Soken and also not so good keiko in between either. Haru was good for him but somehow he has been underperforming at keiko now.

Show some respect!!!!

Constant throwing of dirt? Hmmm....I sense a serious case of selective memory.

There were no comments laughing at invincible yokozuna's soken and if there are so many people out here to "get" Shoryu, this would have given a good opportunity. I find it quite amusing that Shoryu-fans started to defend him already with comments "he was not looking concentrated" and "oh he did so well with cold!" while nobody wrote any comment concerning his disappointing soken (You are going off-topic...)

Come on, Shoryu gets humongous dose of respect and is well respected here. It is fun to have ardent fans of various rikishi and the little conflicts it causes. Shoryu will always be a rikishi people love to love and especially love to hate. Belittling rikishi's foes is a bad way of supporting a rikishi though. I like Jesinofuji's style. He worships Shoryu and believes he can win 100 bouts in a row but he strongly targets his worshipping to his favourite and not attacking Shoryu's foes with belittling attitude. He may be underlining with a massive pen but doesn't use the pen to smitten Shoryu's foes' names ;-)

have always heard that if you have a cold, you should be resting, not exercising. I have even heard that training in that condition could be dangerous for your body. But I don't know whether that's true or if it's a myth

This is an interesting question! One thing is that when you have a "cold", it is caused by a virus. The normal cold is just a flu and can be caused by many different viruses. Influenza is more serious but "normal" flu is often harmless even if you do sports while you have it. The problem is that there is at least one type of virus that causes "normal" flu symptoms but which can also attack the heart muscle. Some enteroviruses are such and while in average less than 10% of flus (I am not sure about the percentage now and it can vary depending on area and time of the year) are caused by enteroviruses, you can never know if your flu is enterovirus-based. Hence it can be a risk to heart muscle infection to do sports when suffering from flu. Training makes one's immunology weaker temporarily and if you have enterovirus flu and you train hard, the enterovirus can survive better and have more chances to infect the heart muscle.

Maybe this is the main reason for the warning about not to work out when you are not well (fever is a good measure as then the defense system is working hard). There may be other reasons too but in sports heart muscle infection is definitely not a very rare event and perhaps the reason is most often due to training when ill. Heart muscle infection can then cause even death. Some sudden deaths by young athletes have been caused by heart muscle infection.

However, the probability to get a heart muscle infection even if you work out when you are ill, must be quite low. Risk is bigger though so the warning is legitimate.

Maybe someone knows more about this? Someone from Sweden? (You are going off-topic...)

Kitanoumi Rijichou was displeased with the two Ozekis as stated earlier .Here is a picture where he sees Chiyotaikai being pushed out easily by Shimotori, and he (Rijichou, right, at the table) looks displeased.

sp-040501-2.jpg

"If Asashouryuu can do serious keiko, Souken you guys", he says.

Edited by Kintamayama

However, the probability to get a heart muscle infection even if you work out when you are ill, must be quite low. Risk is bigger though so the warning is legitimate.

Maybe someone knows more about this? Someone from Sweden? :-)

You have said everything worth saying, Kaikitsune. (Sign of approval)

I am constantly impressed by your skill in describing complicated medical terms in a way that people understand. That's why I don't speak much about medical things here in the forum. You are much better at that. Also, if we were to start debating over an issue (which would happen B-) ), it would rapidly deteriorate into a scientifical discussion that most forumers couldn't understand. Ergo, :-D It is better for the forum if I don't go into these discussions... :-P

You have said everything worth saying, Kaikitsune. (Sign of approval)

Thank you, Kaikitsune. Well, I hope Asashoryu (and his doctor) knows what he is doing.

I have to ask this. In Soken and for that matter in keiko, who or what decides the pairing of wrestlers? Is it up to rikishis themselves or are they being told? :-D

Edited by BuBa

I have to ask this. In Soken and for that matter in keiko, who or what decides the pairing of wrestlers? Is it up to rikishis themselves or are they being told? :-D

In keiko certain levels are in and around the dohyo at the same time. Jonidan, Sandanme etc. One pair go, one wins and one of the others goes against the winner. If there are a few then the winner chooses his next opponent - often goes to the one who asks the loudest / pushes in the first. Sometimes looks like a free for all if there are Ooyakata to impress - if not - much quieter.

Soken is pretty much similar but certain 'pullbacks' and etiquette are involved - haven't seen enough live to fully notice but something is there based on rank.

Not unlike a pride of lions all things said - each knows his place and goes in when he knows it to be 'his' turn.

Hope this helps - someone else can probably add more / better info.

Hey Tumppi,

You for reel,fella?Please tell me you are not.

Was a right-off.You know... having fun?

Anyway...

Generally,

I would love to see Kotomitsuki dish it out to Asashoryu this basho.If he could start to win against the Yokozuna again, we would be in for some great rivalry.Tis exactly what the good Dr ordered.At least on the script I would like filled.

I would love to see Kotomitsuki dish it out to Asashoryu this basho.If he could start to win against the Yokozuna again, we would be in for some great rivalry.Tis exactly what the good Dr ordered.At least on the script I would like filled.

Kotomitsuki?

Er... no.