Sign in to follow this  
sekihiryu

Kaio retires

I have a huge respect for Kaio, I'm so happy I got to see his rise to Ozeki and all his yusho. He's a pain enduring mountain and had the perfect body for Sumo.

Holy shit, that post turned out long...

Rather requote this passage than the one before. Excellently worded explanation of current realities and in laying out the differences between "yaocho" and "backscratching".

I first started watching sumo with the Kyushu 2006 basho- Kaio was kadoban and the press (okay, Japan Times) were writing of Kaio being on the verge/should be considering immediate retirement. He then started 9-0 on his way to (I believe) 12-3 and he became my favorite of all Japanese rikishi. Like others, I was hoping the last basho would keep him active until a final swan song in Kyushu this year but it is not to be.

Thank you Kaio-zeki for the wonderful memories!

Kaio was the last rikishi, who was around from back in the days, when Eurosport started broadcasting sumo with the Paris-Tournament. From that time on I became a fan. Now this is all history. :(

Anyway, Kaio should have retired years ago. He was a great Ozeki, maybe he even was the greatest, but by getting Kachikoshis as a present over the last 3 or 4 years, he shamed the rank of Ozeki.

I started watching in 1999 (Dejima's Yusho), the only rikishi left in my case are Tochinonada, Wakanosato, Miyabiyama and Kyokutenho. The day when the last of them retires will be a sad moment.

I started watching in 1999 (Dejima's Yusho), the only rikishi left in my case are Tochinonada, Wakanosato, Miyabiyama and Kyokutenho. The day when the last of them retires will be a sad moment.

Looks like we are exactly in the same boat, then :) And yes, yet another hero of the past hangs his belt. As much I as liked Kaio and rooted for him, I also agree this should have happened in 2006 at the latest. (Holiday feeling...)

Anyway, thanks to Kaio-zeki (Holiday feeling...) for all the memories and perfectly executed Kaio-nage, like the one forcing Tochinonada's elbow into the direction reserved for camels and ostriches ::hints at Kintaro::

Cheers,

Rob

In two years, KaioU will establish his own KaioU beya, it was learned today. He has reached an agreement with his shisho Tomozuna. He will be learning to Oyakata for the next two years, but will be able to start scouting for new deshi for his own heya. "I have my own style- I'll be looking for strong rikishi who are honestly willing to train hard," he said.

In two years, KaioU will establish his own KaioU beya, it was learned today. He has reached an agreement with his shisho Tomozuna. He will be learning to Oyakata for the next two years, but will be able to start scouting for new deshi for his own heya. "I have my own style- I'll be looking for strong rikishi who are honestly willing to train hard," he said.

Oooh. Tomozuna has 5 or so years before his mandatory retirement, any ideas on his successor?

Oooh. Tomozuna has 5 or so years before his mandatory retirement, any ideas on his successor?

Kaio surely? I think that just means after 2017 Tomozuna-beya will continue to exist at the location of Kaio's to-be-founded Asakayama-beya.

Could well be Kaio in a takeover then, with the Kaio-beya only as a temporary solution.

Kaio's retirement also means a host of new record holders, namely for the "active" categories. Lets see how it breaks down for the major categories:

Most makuuchi wins (Kaio 879):

Tochinonada 555, Miyabiyama 544, Wakanosato 534, Kyokutenho 530 and the white elephant in the room Hakuho with 519

Most makuuchi appearances (Kaio 1444):

Tochinonada 1179, Kyokutenho 1107, Miyabiyama 1021, Wakanosato 987, Aminishiki 941

Most career wins (Kaio 1047):

Kyokutenho 760, Wakanosato 758, Tochinonada 653, Hakuho 613, Miyabiyama 596

Most career appearances (Kaio 1731, actually not the all-time record holder this time, trailing Oshio 1891):

Kyokutenho 1507, Wakanosato 1338, Tochinonada 1319, Aminishiki 1135, Tamanoshima 1112

Actually, its the names you'd expect and only two new leaders with Tochinonada or Kyokutenho. The rikishi on these lists probably will retire before establishing really remarkable numbers with the exception of Kyokutenho and Wakanosato who probable will reach into the top ten all-time in career wins. Oh, and of course Hakuho should be the active makuuchi wins leader in a year or even earlier - and at a (for him) modest 80 wins per year pace he'll overtake Kaio in Hatsu 2016 at the age of 30 years, so this doesn't sound impossible.

Kaio's retirement also means a host of new record holders, namely for the "active" categories. Lets see how it breaks down for the major categories:

Most kadoban ozeki basho among active rikishi? (Whistling...)

The rikishi on these lists probably will retire before establishing really remarkable numbers with the exception of Kyokutenho and Wakanosato who probable will reach into the top ten all-time in career wins.

Wakanosato for sure, but Kyokutenho? If I'm not mistaken #10 is currently Takanohana with 794 wins, and Tenho going 34-29 between now and his likely intai next March is far from assured.

The rikishi on these lists probably will retire before establishing really remarkable numbers with the exception of Kyokutenho and Wakanosato who probable will reach into the top ten all-time in career wins.

Wakanosato for sure, but Kyokutenho? If I'm not mistaken #10 is currently Takanohana with 794 wins, and Tenho going 34-29 between now and his likely intai next March is far from assured.

Woops, I didn't realize Tenho is already so close to qualify for the Japanese equivalent of AARP (JARP?). Well, next basho will be an up elevator and with the right timing he might make it up, up, down and finally up. But even then the down part might hurt too much so you are likely right.

Woops, I didn't realize Tenho is already so close to qualify for the Japanese equivalent of AARP (JARP?)

What's that ? Isn't one allowed to stay longer than 20 years in Ozumo then ? Except then maybe when Ozeki/Yokozuna like Kaio.

BTW, I heard Chiyonofuji is about to make a comeback. :-)

Woops, I didn't realize Tenho is already so close to qualify for the Japanese equivalent of AARP (JARP?)

What's that ? Isn't one allowed to stay longer than 20 years in Ozumo then ? Except then maybe when Ozeki/Yokozuna like Kaio.

Kyokutenho's shisho (his father-in-law) hits mandatory retirement age next March. Tenho has already been named to acquire the heya at that time.

Kyokutenho's shisho (his father-in-law) hits mandatory retirement age next March. Tenho has already been named to acquire the heya at that time.

The current Oshima Oyakata is not Tenho's father-in-law. He is the "adoptive" father and Tenho took his shisho's surname, Ota, when he naturalized. Asojima is correct. It has been an open secret for some time that Tenho will take over Oshima Beya upon his shisho's retirement.

It has been an open secret for some time that Tenho will take over Oshima Beya upon his shisho's retirement.

Nothing secret about it, open or not. Oshima announced his intention several years ago, and Tenho acquired Japanese citizenship to be ready in good time.

Orion

Kaio surely? I think that just means after 2017 Tomozuna-beya will continue to exist at the location of Kaio's to-be-founded Asakayama-beya.
Could well be Kaio in a takeover then, with the Kaio-beya only as a temporary solution.

I guess that makes sense... somehow I just didn't get that impression. Well, in Kinta's trademarked words, We shall see. :-)

Doitsuyama, looking at your avatar of Kaio with the title of yokozuna underneath makes me smile at the irony of it. I can't believe he could have gotten anywhere close to achieving those longevity records if he had ever been awarded the tsuna.

Just a thought

Doitsuyama, looking at your avatar of Kaio with the title of yokozuna underneath makes me smile at the irony of it. I can't believe he could have gotten anywhere close to achieving those longevity records if he had ever been awarded the tsuna.

Just a thought

The forum has a hierarchy similar to Ozumo's, but here the "promotions" are based on the number of posts, so the yokozuna is not (necessarily) intentionally related to Kaio's picture on the avatar as it refers to the forumer instead.

Just a thought

The forum has a hierarchy similar to Ozumo's, but here the "promotions" are based on the number of posts, so the yokozuna is not (necessarily) intentionally related to Kaio's picture on the avatar as it refers to the forumer instead.

Before posting, I was perfectly aware that the avatar and the posting title of Doitsuyama were unconnected. I was merely pointing out the unintentional irony therein. At least, it seemed somewhat ironic to me!

Just a thought

Before posting, I was perfectly aware that the avatar and the posting title of Doitsuyama were unconnected. I was merely pointing out the unintentional irony therein. At least, it seemed somewhat ironic to me!

same here... just thought you meant it was on purpose (which could be, anyway...)

Danpatsushiki at the Kkan - May 27th, AND it's his birthday today.

Hope he's having a happy birthday... apparently shoes would make a good gift! That's why, you'll recall, I thought when Chiyotaikai showed some custom Nike's on his blog that he was retiring. Everyone told me (rightly) that I was reading too much into the shoes, and it turns out I was wrong, but Kaio's comment shows I wasn't completely off base. Wearing sandals for the last 23 years, shoes must feel strange indeed.