Sign in to follow this  
Peterao

Kaio: first 0-15 ozeki?

Well, his first victory!

There have been very few 0:15 results. IIRC, 8 ever, none higher than lower maegashira.

Worst ozeki results seems to have been Shionoumi, 1951.01: 0-12-3. He did fight next basho.

Was pretty premature to jump to that conclusion after only one day, anyway.

After first day loss and second day win, Kaio has had results as high as 12-3 (November 2010) and as low as 1-3-11 (November 2008).

What did his second day win look like - how good is he this time?

He steamrolled Toyonoshima out in very short time. Nosh tried a maki-kae at the most inopportune time. Good to see that Kaio can move forward quickly, but maybe it was Toyonoshima's weakness rather than Kaio's strength that did it.

Nosh tried a maki-kae at the most inopportune time. Good to see that Kaio can move forward quickly, but maybe it was Toyonoshima's weakness rather than Kaio's strength that did it.

For the sake of our premature jumper - was it Toyonoshima

Nosh tried a maki-kae at the most inopportune time. Good to see that Kaio can move forward quickly, but maybe it was Toyonoshima's weakness rather than Kaio's strength that did it.

For the sake of our premature jumper - was it Toyonoshima

It looked to me like Toyonoshima's plan of "hit with the shoulder and manage and inside grip" didn't work and he didn't have a back up plan. Kaio just took advantage. Not really Ozeki-sumo though.

Obviously the former, as an exhaustive investigation has already shown that neither man ever engages in unmotivated sumo.

motivated sumo = yaocho ?

(Edit: Moti-waited sumo?)

Edited by Jakusotsu

Obviously the former, as an exhaustive investigation has already shown that neither man ever engages in unmotivated sumo.

motivated sumo = yaocho ?

(Edit: Moti-waited sumo?)

Moti-weighted Sumo, sir.

A replay or three from several different angles sure would have been nice today. The content and finish of this bout were both unsatisfying.

It looked to me like Toyonoshima's plan of "hit with the shoulder and manage and inside grip" didn't work and he didn't have a back up plan. Kaio just took advantage. Not really Ozeki-sumo though.

Is it really not Komusubi-sumo, though? Toyonoshima

Can Kaio rise on banzuke, considering Kotooshu?

Considering Kotooshu, he might have no choice.

Can Kaio rise on banzuke, considering Kotooshu?

Considering Kotooshu, he might have no choice.

And now Kaio is 2 wins ahead of Kotooshu.

Was it this time unmotivated sumo by Kitataiki, wrong call by gyoji and shimpan, or something else?

Was it this time unmotivated sumo by Kitataiki, wrong call by gyoji and shimpan, or something else?

It was clearly the fault of the torikumi makers, giving Kaio such an inferior opponent. ... /not really

It looked to me like KaioU cheated. He seemed to wink at Kitataiki, then shift slightly to the left. At the end, they both fell out at the same time, with Kitataiki falling out a bit before him, but not that much, so maybe because of the doubt, I would have called a monoii. And the no bandage on the left foot still looks suspicious to me.

It was clearly the fault of the torikumi makers, giving Kaio such an inferior opponent. ... /not really

I agree-why not Hakuhou, who was still unbeaten? Or Meigetsuin?

Myogiryu and Matsutani are looking for worthwhile opponents.

FANFARE!!! PREDICTION!!! Miyogiryuu will be Yokozuna. Even--tually, as Manuel used to say.

FANFARE!!! PREDICTION!!! Miyogiryuu will be Yokozuna.

In time to face Kaio?

FANFARE!!! PREDICTION!!! Miyogiryuu will be Yokozuna.

In time to face Kaio?

What scares me the most is that when he becomes Yokozuna in about 3-4 years from now, he'll still be facing KaioU.

What scares me the most is that when he becomes Yokozuna in about 3-4 years from now, he'll still be facing KaioU.

. . . and Kaio will still have some years to go before becoming Yokozuna himself.

Nice prediction powers... You shouldn't have removed the original post, Peterao, let ppl have a smile.

It wasn't actually a prediction; I just said that I wouldn't be surprised if Kaio didn't win.

That was back when I still thought that we might have a real gachinko basho...but obviously it would look bad if ozeki performance were _too_ radically different from previous basho.

Edited by Peterao