Sign in to follow this  
Asojima

Video Streams - Natsu 2011

The Nico Nico stream is up and running. An empty dohyo with the first JONOKUCHI match being announced at 09:21 JST.

Edited by Asojima

Sound is excellent. Video quality is very good. Single fixed camera shot with no zooms or pans seen yet. Outstanding!!

Haven't had much luck with this so far. Best I've had was a couple of seconds of video before it stopped.

Nico stats say that over 21,000 people are currently connected. From the comments, it sounds like at least a few people are getting through...

09:58 JST Day 1. The normal NSK stream is active too. Do not what time it came up.

NSK Link.

09:58 JST Day 1. The normal NSK stream is active too. Do not what time it came up.

NSK Link.

This actually works much better for me (and I can save the stream!) Can't really compare the quality of the two though...

I was on earlier but I stopped it and now I can't get back in again (I am not worthy...)

wow... very cool to here commentary (in japanese) on the live feed!

The quality is very good and it's great to have the graphics and the commentary. Hopefully next time out they will get their act together with the multiple camera setup that we heard about. I'm dreaming about the possibility of having multiple views and replays!

The quality is very good and it's great to have the graphics and the commentary. Hopefully next time out they will get their act together with the multiple camera setup that we heard about. I'm dreaming about the possibility of having multiple views and replays!

Well, we are getting close-ups and stuff-not the one camera from a far -off land we have been getting on the stream, so it's a great start. And it seems to cover many different needs with many different feeds, so everyone should be quite content. I know I am..

Well, we are getting close-ups and stuff-not the one camera from a far -off land we have been getting on the stream, so it's a great start. And it seems to cover many different needs with many different feeds, so everyone should be quite content. I know I am..

If this is a dress rehearsal for life without NHK, then I imagine that they need to impress people. Because going forward, those people will need to pay for this service in order for it to remain viable.

Unless the Kyokai can make up the license fees with enhanced advertising that would be possible without public broadcasting restrictions...

I doubt Nico would be able to simulcast once NHK is back as NHK has the exclusive contract for regular basho at the moment, even Nico's premium charge won't cover the cost unless provided free by NSK.

Of course there can be some kind of contract set up to keep airing it but unlikely for outside of Japan like they do it for a mobile site Actually Nico has live broadcast coverage of Japan's professional baseball but only for those residing in Japan.

But I feel NSK can keep having their live streaming going as NHK will not show early division bouts any longer as they cut their BS sumo broadcast out. Maybe this all turns out to be a plus for all of us who won't be able to go to the venue to watch sumo regularly. But at the same time Nico can keep showing it to 3 PM, just prior to Juryo bouts. At the moment there are a lot of curiosity seekers viewing the stream so it's pretty busy but once the novelty wears off, non sumo fans will stay away so even without their premium membership, we probably can watch it continuously.

Reading Nico comments, most were not that much interested in sumo and wondering why there was no spectators around (well Sunakaburi were all reserved for Iji-in and all pre-reserved) or commenting on why a yobidashi keeps sweeping the dohyo etc.

Day 2 - Nico up at 08:30 JST. No action yet.

- 08:55 JST Maezumo starting on NicoNico.

Edited by Asojima

Kyokai stream up, right with the first bout.

Edit: With stupid info graphic across the entire dohyo.

Edited by Asashosakari

There are two live video stream viewing options for the current unbasho. One is a commercial stream by NicoNico and the second is the stream offered by the NSK. Both streams use the same camera.

For Jonokuchi thru most of Makushita, the view is from a fixed camera with no panning or zooming. Audio is the in house sound system including the yobidashi and gyoji calls and the announcements of the participant and winner names. The NSK stream also includes onscreen graphics with the names of the participants.

For Juryo and Makuuchi, the pans and zooms traditionally used in the NSK stream are added to both streams. Audio commentary (Japanese) on the matches is also added on the NSK site only.

The audio and video quality on both streams is very good, a big improvement over the NSK stream of the past. Watchers on day 1 seemed to agree that the NicoNico stream generally runs about 30 seconds ahead of rthe NSK stream.

The base NicoNico site is a bit cluttered, but the full screen popup is excellent for viewing. On day one, the stream was overlayed now and then with a pitch to purchase the optional Premium membership for NicoNico. This was annoying to most viewers. It could be overcome by manually resetting the base display.

The NSK site seems (to me) to have a slightly better video quality, but the advantage is minimal. It can be viewed in MS WMP, VLC or other comparable viewers. It can also be recorded using VLC, but I have not done this, and do not know the procedure. There were times on Day 1 when the NSK stream would freeze up for a few seconds, and some reported a problem getting a successful login or restart early in the day. These two problems seemed to go away later in the broadcast, so NSK may have made some adjustments.

Both streams can be watched simultaneously on most computers with a reasonably robust hookup. This can allow switching back and forth for replays or in the event of a hangup on one of the streams.

To view the NicoNico stream, you must first register with Nico. There are German, Spanish and beta English sites available for registration. Once you have registered, you can use the Live View site to view the action.

To view the NSK site, I suggest you use this link.

Edited by Asojima

Day 1 - Nico Up. Jonokuchi started at 09:21 JST

- Before 09:58 JST, NSK also up with Jonokuchi.

Day 2 - Nico up at 08:30 JST. No action yet.

- 08:55 JST Maezumo starting on NicoNico.

- 08:58 JST NSK Stream up with maezumo.

- 09:07 JST - Maezumo complete.

- Jk started at 09:30 JST

Day 3 - Nico is scheduled for a 08:30 wakeup and NSK for 09:30.

Edited by Asojima

AT 11:00 AM Japan time, Nico has over 34,000 viewers.

With this and NSK stream going, there is definitely a demand for even lower division bouts. They should serious consider this "experiment" as no mainstream broadcaster will air them all day but at least on the web, it's clear that there are interested viewers and fans to watch them.

Isn't it the ideal (okay, "ideal" is an exaggeration) entertainment when you're on the go? Wanna see some big guys slam into each other and fight while you're waiting for your train? Just fire up the stream on your mobile and there's a new bout every 90 seconds, and if you're lucky you might even see a spectacular kimarite. Sure, people interested in Ozumo in such a (superficial, I guess) way won't recognize a single rikishi in jonidan or sandanme, but who really does, and even that kind of attention would beat having zero interest from people outside the circle of maniac fans like us.

And who knows, you might even grow a "real" fan or two that way.

Edited by Asashosakari

It can also be recorded using VLC, but I have not done this, and do not know the procedure.

There is no "procedure." You just press the red record button. It appears when you choose "advanced controls" under the "view" menu. You can take snapshots and do all kinds of other stuff. The quality? Perfect- no visible loss whatsoever.

There are two live video stream viewing options for the current unbasho. One is a commercial stream by NicoNico and the second is the stream offered by the NSK. Both streams use the same camera.

I don't get it. If NSK is streaming the very same feed as NicoNico for free, what's the profit in that deal? And who's paying who? I don't get it...

I don't get it. If NSK is streaming the very same feed as NicoNico for free, what's the profit in that deal? And who's paying who? I don't get it...

I am guessing the Kyokai promised Nico to back them up as they check the viability of this for this basho and from next basho the Kyokai will go back to showing some Juryo and Makuuchi, leaving the lower division to nico. Or, nico may find it too much trouble and back out. Or, this is all total bollocks and it's just weird. Nico doesn't even have the commentators and graphics..

Edited by Kintamayama

I am guessing the Kyokai promised Nico to back them up as they check the viability of this for this basho and from next basho the Kyokai will go back to showing some Juryo and Makuuchi, leaving the lower division to nico. Or, nico may find it too much trouble and back out. Or, this is all total bollocks and it's just weird. Nico doesn't even have the commentators and graphics..

I suspect that nico is hoping to capture the young, texting/chat crowd. Their number are very good so far, even with the NSK site active. NSK is attracting the serious sumo viewers, while Nico is attracting the superficial viewers more interested in forming a social network. Both may be able to coexist nicely.

I suspect that nico is hoping to capture the young, texting/chat crowd. Their number are very good so far, even with the NSK site active. NSK is attracting the serious sumo viewers, while Nico is attracting the superficial viewers more interested in forming a social network. Both may be able to coexist nicely.

It's really fuuny that different "providers" aim to capture different customers with the same product (I am not worthy...)

By the way, thank you, Asojima, for the great summary few posts above! (Censored...)

I still think the Nico thing is a one-shot deal, or at least originated as one. Even in its diminished state, getting to associate yourself with Ozumo will bring in lots of attention. So for Nico it's a marketing effort, and for the Kyokai it's a way to gauge the level of internet-viewing interest in their product if they actually go to the trouble of advertising it for once, instead of hiding it in a corner of their own website where more foreigners know about it than Japanese. Nothing stops them from advertising for their own version in the future, except perhaps their own competence.

That being said, if the social media aspect really is a huge success, Asojima might well turn out correct that both can and will coexist.

Hmm, interesting...the Nico Live Sumo page has received a new, more generic (but also more attractive) banner now. Still makes reference to the May basho, of course, but without the focus on it being something special they are offering from May 8-22. Perhaps the first step to it becoming a long-term arrangement, after all?

Edited by Asashosakari

Nico doesn't even have the commentators and graphics..

I suspect that nico is hoping to capture the young, texting/chat crowd.

Nico Nico may not have the commentators, but it does have viewer-generated comments -- and they're far more entertaining than I expected.

Of course they don't provide much analysis, but for pure entertainment value it definitely beats almost all of the kyokai commentators.

Plus you can chuck in your salt and join the fray by adding your own 2 cents at any time.

FWIW I'm not even part of the "young crowd"... (Censored...)