Sign in to follow this  
Asojima

Video Streams - Natsu 2011

Of course they don't provide much analysis, but for pure entertainment value it definitely beats almost all of the kyokai commentators.

Plus you can chuck in your salt and join the fray by adding your own 2 cents at any time.

Yes, but they fly by too fast for me to read-even the "static" ones on the side are too quick for me..I did get in a few self praises though, and was met with great enthusiasm ala "There goes the great Kintamayama!!Hail Kintamayama!! Have my baby, Kintamayama!!" and a few "piss offs" as well.

So for Nico it's a marketing effort, and for the Kyokai it's a way to gauge the level of internet-viewing interest in their product if they actually go to the trouble of advertising it for once, instead of hiding it in a corner of their own website where more foreigners know about it than Japanese.

I am hoping that they can continue to offer the coverage (at least those earlier bouts not aired by NHK) from now on. Ozumo's traditional demographics do not watch Ozumo on web or smartphone - they are strictly TV bound generations. What NicoNico is offering tp the Kyokai is simply an untapped market - those tweeting-mixi-ing texting crowds. If Nico can get 50,000 viewers at noon on week day like Monday and if they can nurture them along, the Kyokai can find a new path to their renewal, far younger fan base than what they had previously.

The Kyokai has had a stream as well but aside from quality, they couild only attract at most 10,000 hits in the best hours of best days. Most casual fans just don't bother to visit the site while Nico offers much more from animefest to Korean showbiz to topical news conferences so they attract far more number of viewers from all walks of life but mostly young and tech savvy crowd and that's precisely the segnment of society the Kyokai needs to seek to attract and cultivate.

If the Kyokai and Nico can get together and offer live covarage up to NHK broadcast (say up to just before last few bouts of Makushita), those who have been watchting on Nico can then tune to NHK for the rest of the day or even if they don't, the Kyokai gained the viewers they would not have had to begin with. As far as I am concerned this is really a win win situation for both. Up to now I never even felt a need to pay Nico their premium membership fee but they got one month from me because of Ozumo so from a business point of view, I think it really makes sense for them to continue as long as the Kyokai won't start charging them an arm and a leg. After all Nico isn't any way competing against NHK.

On a more low-tech video stream note, I saw a couple of highlights on the NHK 9 news broadcast tonight (featuring Kaisei and his Holy kesho-mawashi) The surprising thing was that the shown bout was called by one of the regular NHK sumo announcers! I wonder if he just overdubs the matches they choose for the news broadcast, or if he's actually doing a full call of all the days matches that no one will ever hear...

On a more low-tech video stream note, I saw a couple of highlights on the NHK 9 news broadcast tonight (featuring Kaisei and his Holy kesho-mawashi) The surprising thing was that the shown bout was called by one of the regular NHK sumo announcers! I wonder if he just overdubs the matches they choose for the news broadcast, or if he's actually doing a full call of all the days matches that no one will ever hear...

That would certainly be a shame if that is the case. I'm guessing that the former case is more likely though.

Day 1 - Nico Up. Jonokuchi started at 09:21 JST

- Before 09:58 JST, NSK also up with Jonokuchi.

Day 2 - Nico up at 08:30 JST. No action yet.

- 08:55 JST Maezumo starting on NicoNico.

- 08:58 JST NSK Stream up with maezumo.

- 09:07 JST - Maezumo complete.

- Jk started at 09:30 JST

Day 3 - Nico up at 08:30 JST. No action yet. Maezumo scheduled for 09:15 JST.

- Jonokuchi to start at 09:30 JST

- NSK up at 09:01 JST

- Maezumo complete at 09:25 JST

- 12:00 JST - Sandanme started.

- 14:05 JST - Makushita started.

Day 4 - Nico and NSK up on time

- Maezumo completed at 09:28 JST

- Jonokuchi starting at 09:30

- Makushita starting at 13:52 JST

Day 5 - Nico up at 08:30 JST, NSK up at 09:00.

- Maezumo started at 09:05

- Maezumo complete at 09:19

- Jonidan started at 09:43

- Sandanme started at 11:50

- Makushita started at 14:00

- Juryo started at 15:25

Edited by Asojima

Day 6 - Nico up at 0830. No action yet. Maezumo sched for 09:15 JST start, Jonokuchi at 09:30.

- NSK up at 09:15. Missed the first 2 Maezumo matches.

- 11:55 JST - Start Sandanme

- 14:05 - Makushita started.

- 15:30 - Juryo started.

Edited by Asojima

Maezumo has started but the date logo is still up gosh darnit!

Hi

I watch that in Brasil and really very good quality, can someone tell me how i can save the video or record it? I watch in Media Player

Thanks

Day 6 - Nico up at 0830. No action yet. Maezumo sched for 09:15 JST start, Jonokuchi at 09:30.

- NSK up at 09:15. Missed the first 2 Maezumo matches.

- 11:55 JST - Start Sandanme

- 14:05 - Makushita started.

- 15:30 - Juryo started.

Day 7 - Nico up on schedule. No action yet. Maezumo sched for 09:15 JST, Jonokuchi at 09:30.

- NSK up at 08:54 JST

- 09:00 Getting intermittent video freezes on NSK (smoothed out with start of Jk).

- Mz complete at 09:22

- Sandanme start 11:55; Makushita 13:52 JST

Day 8 Nico and NSK both up with the same schedule.

Day 9 - Nico up at 08:30 JST. NSK up at 09:00.

Edited by Asojima

The daily schedule: (all times approximate, usually within 15 minutes +/-)

08:30 JST - Nico link active.

09:20 - NSK link active

09:20 - Jk; 09:45 Jd; 12:00 Sd; 14:00 Ms; 15:30 J, 16:15 Mk

Note: The Nico site has an announcement that Day 13 and Day 14 activities will not start until 11:40 JST. The lower divisions have fewer matches during the last 3 days.

Day 14 - Both sites up at 11:30 JST

The daily schedule: (all times approximate, usually within 15 minutes +/-)

08:30 JST - Nico link active.

09:20 - NSK link active

09:20 - Jk; 09:45 Jd; 12:00 Sd; 14:00 Ms; 15:30 J, 16:15 Mk

Note: The Nico site has an announcement that Day 13 and Day 14 activities will not start until 11:40 JST. The lower divisions have fewer matches during the last 3 days.

Day 14 - Both sites up at 11:30 JST

Day 15 - Nico and NSK went active at about 11:00 JST. Jonokuchi action started at 11:20.

Edited by Asojima