Sign in to follow this  
Kintamayama

Hakuhou news and picture+NSK site tables

Predicting the progress of these rikishi for the long term is so difficult, it's almost like winning the lottery. The main reason is the prevalence of injuries, which at times can be career-altering. We all remember a very promising rikishi (still active, but not as promising) with severe elbow problems impacting his sumo...

Miyabiyama skyrocketed up the banzuke in a fashion very similar to Hakuho, Kotooshu, etc. His demoltion of all competition in the lower ranks and in Juryo was awe-inspiring. This led many to pronounce him the "next Yokozuna". We all know what happened there.

Chiyotenzan was another rocket rikishi who inspired such "next Ozeki" pronouncements. He turned out to be nothing more than an elevator rikishi.

Then there's the injury factor mentioned by Yoavo-san. Takanowaka, Hayateumi and Kotomitsuki were all very promising rikishi whose careers have been somewhat derailed by injury. Kotomitsuki has managed to stay in Makuuchi and still impress on occasion, but Takanowaka and Hayateumi appear to be shadows of what they once were when they first arrived in the top division.

It's easy to predict that so and so will be a Yokozuna or Ozeki before he's even had a bout in Makuuchi. But, as the examples above show, one just never knows.

There's a lot of up and coming talent right now. It will be interesting to see which ones live up to the potential and fulfill the expectations of their fans and which ones flop.

It is always difficult to make any predictions but if we are to predict the next yokozuna, Hagiwara does have quite a combination to give him all the tools to do that.

Miyabiyama was the biggest phenomenon of recent years with his complete domination in makushita and juryo. Yet he was already 21 when he entered juryo and had lot of experience in college sumo. Hagiwara is barely 18 now. 3 years at these ages make a HUGE difference. It is amazing that he could stay 2 years in juryo before promotion and would still be very young makuuchi rikishi.

Injuries always play a role and can do serious damage to careers but predictions about anything are then quite futile as we can't really predict injuries. We can however predict that the promise Hagiwara shows in his sumo is exceptional and since he is so young and physically immature, the sky can really be the limit to him. Whether he becomes a yokozuna or not is not that important but the fact that at least in my eyes he is clearly the best 18 year old rikishi I have ever seen. Hakuho is not far behind though.

It is rather pessimistic to suggest that he might not develop a lot in the upcoming years. If that serious injury card is taken out of the deck, it is very very hard to deal him a hand that doesn't take him to greatness.

Maybe Miyabiyama was disappointing at the end. He suffered from bad shoulder injury for year(or years even) and never got back to serious ozeki candidate. He is still one of the best rikishi in ozumo.

If predicting Hagiwara to become yokozuna is lottery, then I like the odds of this particular lottery very much (Applauding...)

Sumoforum message on day 15 Natsu basho in May 2008 by Kaikitsune Makoto:

Such is life. 4 years ago there was a young newcomer about whom people were talking a lot and whose juryo debut was eagerly waited. Today we have this 22 year old younster getting ready for his bout against veteran yokozuna KaioU. Hagiwara managed to beat KaioU in Haru basho for the first time with a very strong morozashi yorikiri. 36 years old KaioU has announced his desire to retire after the basho after spending 2 years as yokozuna gaining 4 more yusho. He is 11-3 while ozeki Hagiwara is 12-2.

Hagiwara's tachi-ai is strong and he gets left hand inside while keeping his hip back in order to avoid KaioU's right hand grip. KaioU's grabs Hagiwara's right hand wrist and yanks it forward getting to the side of Hagiwara. Unable to break free Hagiwara tries a desperate chongake while KaioU propels him to the edge and out. Hagiwara finishes the basho with 12-3 and is denied yokozuna promotion despite strong jun-yusho in Hatsu and 13-2 yusho in Haru. KaioU bows for the last time on honbasho dohyo and walks into the hanamichi sunset. Tomorrow Kaikitsune writes a massive thesis on KaioU and Ozumo and thanks deeply for all the years of entertainment and excitement he displayed on the dohyo!

(Depressed...)

Is it just me or does Hakuhou look a touch like a young Takanohana? He has that babyface that women of all ages will just lap up.

I'd like to add Tosanoumi to the list of ex-very-promising-rikishi.

Maybe Miyabiyama was disappointing at the end. He suffered from bad shoulder injury for year(or years even) and never got back to serious ozeki candidate. He is still one of the best rikishi in ozumo.

He is? Why hasn't anyone told him that?

Hagiwara's tachi-ai is strong and he gets left hand inside while keeping his hip back in order to avoid KaioU's right hand grip. KaioU's grabs Hagiwara's right hand wrist and yanks it forward getting to the side of Hagiwara. Unable to break free Hagiwara tries a desperate chongake while KaioU propels him to the edge and out. Hagiwara finishes the basho with 12-3 and is denied yokozuna promotion despite strong jun-yusho in Hatsu and 13-2 yusho in Haru. KaioU bows for the last time on honbasho dohyo and walks into the hanamichi sunset. Tomorrow Kaikitsune writes a massive thesis on KaioU and Ozumo and thanks deeply for all the years of entertainment and excitement he displayed on the dohyo!

(Depressed...)

Since Kaio and Hagiwara were both 12-3 - was there a playoff between them? Or did Toyonoshima win his first yusho with 13-2? (Shaking head...)

It is rather pessimistic to suggest that he might not develop a lot in the upcoming years. If that serious injury card is taken out of the deck, it is very very hard to deal him a hand that doesn't take him to greatness.

Fantasy about Kaio aside, there is no denying Hagiwara's talent. Now let's see if he can back it up on the dohyo.

As always when people are talking about the prospects of very young shin-sekitori/shin-nyumaku, I feel compelled to point out that Wakanoyama was 19 years and 11 months old at the time of his Makuuchi debut...

As always when people are talking about the prospects of very young shin-sekitori/shin-nyumaku, I feel compelled to point out that Wakanoyama was 19 years and 11 months old at the time of his Makuuchi debut...

Is that right!? I guess we could relatively accurately predict whether someone at Makushita level could make it to Sayaku or not, but after that it is hard eh?

Yet still there are examples of old ones like Kushima or Hattori - everybody thought Ozeki or at least something like Wakanosato level guaranteed but didn

Yet still there are examples of old ones like Kushima or Hattori - everybody thought Ozeki or at least something like Wakanosato level guaranteed but didn

For the sake of sumo, I wish Hagiwara becomes a yokozuna someday.

At least sumo is a Japanese sport...and not only a sport for them.

But, what if Hagiwara falters on Hakuho, Kotooshu , Roho or on some other new upcoming talents.

Of course, the statistics allow us to predict a brilliant future for him.Yet the times are different now. Being 17 or 19 guarantees nothing nowadays,I think.

Just sit back and watch ,guys.

We, sit back and watch? That will never happen. We'll predict, complain, and debate sumo forever (Applauding...)

Currently Roho took only 9, and Kokkai took 12....
Edited by Asashosakari

<P>

2) Fewest Tournaments from Pro to Makuuchi Debut (rikishi making their pro debuts from 1958, debuts from Makushita excluded)

<TABLE BORDER=1 CELLSPACING=1 CELLPADDING=2 >

<TR>

<TD ALIGN="center"> </TD>

<TD ALIGN="center">Rikishi</TD>

<TD ALIGN="center">Basho</TD>

<TD ALIGN="center">Pro Debut</TD>

<TD ALIGN="center">Makuuchi Debut</TD>

<TD ALIGN="center">Highest<br>Rank</TD>

</TR>

<TR>

<TD ALIGN="center">1</TD>

<TD ALIGN="center">Kotetsuyama<br>(Itai)</TD>

<TD ALIGN="center">12</TD>

<TD ALIGN="center">9/78</TD>

<TD ALIGN="center">9/80</TD>

<TD ALIGN="center">Komusubi</TD>

</TR>

<TR>

<TD ALIGN="center">Konishiki</TD>

<TD ALIGN="center">7/82</TD>

<TD ALIGN="center">7/84</TD>

<TD ALIGN="center">Ozeki</TD>

</TR>

<TR>

<TD ALIGN="center">Tochiazuma</TD>

<TD ALIGN="center">11/94</TD>

<TD ALIGN="center">11/96</TD>

<TD ALIGN="center">(Ozeki)</TD>

</TR>

<TR>

<TD ALIGN="center">Asashoryu</TD>

<TD ALIGN="center">1/99</TD>

<TD ALIGN="center">1/01</TD>

<TD ALIGN="center">(Yokozuna)</TD>

</TR>

<TR>

<TD ALIGN="center">5</TD>

<TD ALIGN="center">Asahifuji</TD>

<TD ALIGN="center">13</TD>

<TD ALIGN="center">1/81</TD>

<TD ALIGN="center">3/83</TD>

<TD ALIGN="center">Yokozuna</TD>

</TR>

<TR>

<TD ALIGN="center">Takahanada<br>(Takanohana)</TD>

<TD ALIGN="center">3/88</TD>

<TD ALIGN="center">5/90</TD>

</TR>

<TR>

<TD ALIGN="center">Musashimaru</TD>

<TD ALIGN="center">9/89</TD>

<TD ALIGN="center">11/91</TD>

</TR>

<TR>

<TD ALIGN="center">8</TD>

<TD ALIGN="center">Wakahanada<br>(Wakanohana)</TD>

<TD ALIGN="center">15</TD>

<TD ALIGN="center">9/90</TD>

</TR>

<TR>

<TD ALIGN="center">8</TD>

<TD ALIGN="center">Akebono</TD>

<TD ALIGN="center">15</TD>

<TD ALIGN="center">9/90</TD>

</TR>

<TR>

<TD ALIGN="center">10</TD>

<TD ALIGN="center">Kokkai</TD>

<TD ALIGN="center">16</TD>

<TD ALIGN="center">5/01</TD>

<TD ALIGN="center">1/04</TD>

<TD ALIGN="center">(M07)</TD>

</TR>

</TABLE>

Note the parentheses around the ranks for rikishi who are still active. For instance, Tochiazuma's highest rank is (Ozeki), which means that Ozeki is his highest rank so far. Asashoryu's highest rank is (Yokozuna), which means ... Never mind. (Applauding...)

Thanks for the list Asa. Thanks for the comment Yubi & Kash.

The list then really puts Kotooshu & Roho in bright potential, eh? But wonder what happened to Roho last basho- dismal 6-9(for him anyway...).

The following tables are stolen from...err, courtesy of various editions of NSK's banzuke topics.

Is it only me, or isn't there really a link to the English page with the tables? I just discovered that now because I only read the Japanese version and just checked in... B-)

Well, I found them anyway, and here is the direct link to the English tables for the banzuke topics for you.

Is it only me, or isn't there really a link to the English page with the tables? I just discovered that now because I only read the Japanese version and just checked in... (You are going off-topic...)

Yes, they've posted the English-language tables now, but didn't update the text page with links. ;-) When I first mentioned that the Topics were up, the link you posted still had the Haru basho tables (while the Japanese version was updated for Natsu).