Sign in to follow this  
Asashosakari

May basho to be broadcast in full on the internet

At Japan time, 8:20 AM, Nico is already up (obviously no one is there yet but I digress..)

We should get Mae-zumo started today so the young'uns should be up and ready soon. With Haru Basho recruits and new for this basho, we should some interesting spectacles shortly.

For those of you who have never woke up early enough to see Mae-zumo bouts, these should be a treat as some of guys will have no idea which side is up.

Enjoy!!!

Edit: According to a blurb, Mae-zumo bouts will start at 9 AM - I believe the place is now open (8:30 AM now) so we should start see some people coming in - not sure if they can actually sit around Sunakaburi but some people should be around. 10 or 15 minutes before the first bout, you will see Sewanin start lining up guys one side or another and a very young gyoji will arrive and one of young yobidashi goes up there as well while the rest of guys are all at lining up at East side Hanamichi. Bouts are normally over so quickly so don't blink!

To see all these from the comfort of your home, it's really well worth paying the premium membership of Nico for just this month because we may never get to have another opportunity like this.

Edited by Jonosuke

The second Kyokai stream address no longer delivers 1.6 Mbit, it's now the same bandwidth as the other one. Experiment over on that front, I suppose.

Kintamayama - I just ended trying the regular full website and watched it within the browser (Dolphin HD) worked fine.

There were some android apps for nico nico but they were hopeless.

Found the ultimate android app that shows mms streams-it's called yxplayer and is available from the market. It didn't "read" the http address, but read the mms beautifully-outstanding quality. I'd recommend using it with wifi, unless you have a large 3G account because at 600 kbit, it may eat up your deal..

According to a blurb, Mae-zumo bouts will start at 9 AM -

That's interesting. Maezumo normally starts on the first Tuesday in Tokyo and goes on till the Friday (unless there are very few entrants and it's all been decided earlier). And it's the wakaimono-gashira, not the sewanin, who are in charge of maezumo.

Since I don't have my usual book of 15 unreserved tickets this time, I wasn't able to go in and check it out in person this morning. In any case the later start would severely cut into the time available before I go to work.

(Censored...) Orion

Edited by Orion

Kintamayama - I just ended trying the regular full website and watched it within the browser (Dolphin HD) worked fine.

There were some android apps for nico nico but they were hopeless.

Found the ultimate android app that shows mms streams-it's called yxplayer and is available from the market. It didn't "read" the http address, but read the mms beautifully-outstanding quality. I'd recommend using it with wifi, unless you have a large 3G account because at 600 kbit, it may eat up your deal..

What mms address are you using to get the stream? The old sumolive mms does not appear to be active this basho.

What mms address are you using to get the stream? The old sumolive mms does not appear to be active this basho.

mms://a1876.l12513457875.c125134.g.lm.akamaistream.net/D/1876/125134/v0001/reflector:57875

mms://a1876.l12513457875.c125134.g.lm.akamaistream.net/D/1876/125134/v0001/reflector:57875

Hmmm. Was hoping you knew of a standard mms link rather than one of the reflector links. The SDP Downloader program cannot connect to and record the latter.

According to a blurb, Mae-zumo bouts will start at 9 AM -

That's interesting. Maezumo normally starts on the first Tuesday in Tokyo and goes on till the Friday (unless there are very few entrants and it's all been decided earlier). And it's the wakaimono-gashira, not the sewanin, who are in charge of maezumo.

Since I don't have my usual book of 15 unreserved tickets this time, I wasn't able to go in and check it out in person this morning. In any case the later start would severely cut into the time available before I go to work.

(Censored...) Orion

they have been handing out free tickets at the kokugikan until after 10am every day!! Since they didn't announce that before they put the other tickets on the internet there was a lot of scrambling to get tickets.

If you're in need of tickets I have now chair tickets for every weekday.. about 4 or 8 for each day..

Compliments of Clay from the Mailing list, which contrary to popular opinion, is not entirely dead. I'm hoping it works on the iPad as well.

For the iPhone, look for "GoodPlayer" at the App Store. It handles mms feeds just fine; I was able to watch the stream last night with no difficulty at all, no dropped connections, and good quality picture and sound. In GoodPlayer, click on the globe icon at the bottom of the screen, and type or paste in one of these addresses (thanks to Moti & Barbara for the links): mms://a1876.l12513457875.c125134.g.lm.akamaistream net/D/1876/125134/v0001/reflector:57875 (600 kbit stream) mms://a1366.l12513453365.c125134.g.lm.akamaistream net/D/1366/125134/v0001/reflector:53365 (1.6 Mbit stream) GoodPlayer is not free ($2.99) but I haven't yet found an alternative that works as well for what it does.

By the way, the English description on the NSK site now reads "Real-time, streaming video from the very lowest Jonokuchi Division now available." If they actually bothered to change the English text, then perhaps this is now a permanent arrangement...

Graphics on nico now as well, or is this not new? I didn't check nico since day 1-Kyokai site is freezing for me today.

Graphics on nico now as well, or is this not new? I didn't check nico since day 1-Kyokai site is freezing for me today.

They were there on day 2. Don't remember them being there on day 1

Edited by Asojima

It appears that Nico Nico have changed their time-shifting policy...the most recent two daily entries in my viewing list no longer mention any 48 hour expiration time.

It appears that Nico Nico have changed their time-shifting policy...the most recent two daily entries in my viewing list no longer mention any 48 hour expiration time.

Revised again, it's 7 days now.

Edit: But apparently only until you actually access the recording for the first time. My Day 6 entry now shows a deadline of about 33 hours after my first viewing.

Edited by Asashosakari

Asahi on the basho.

From that article:

Despite concerns that the public would be turned off by sumo's recent string of scandals, the tournament played to a full house at Tokyo's Ryogoku Kokugikan each day.

Eh? (I am not worthy...)