Sign in to follow this  
Asashosakari

May basho to be broadcast in full on the internet

For me, the NSK site is running about 20 seconds ahead of the Nico Nico site. Use Nico for instant replay.

For me, the NSK site is running about 20 seconds ahead of the Nico Nico site. Use Nico for instant replay.

35 seconds the opposite way for me, so probably not to be counted on.

Hey, Moriurara...

Funny! Here, it's exactly the other way around.

NSK Site stream isn't as sharp as Nico (from a subjective point of view), but the graphics are quite nice.

After a few experiments-watching it on the Kyokai feed on VLC at a 16:9 aspect ratio (and with recording capability), 600 kbit stream (the 1.6 freezes every three seconds, I'm on a 15 mb line..) and the graphics (wins, losses, heya, shikona, cool, dream..), and the impending commentary-I will stick with the Kyokai for now.

Is this how my life is going to be for the next couple of weeks?

Edited by Kintamayama

After a few experiments-watching it on the Kyokai feed on VLC at a 16:9 aspect ratio (and with recording capability), 600 kbit stream (the 1.6 freezes every three seconds, I'm on a 15 mb line..) and the graphics (wins, losses, heya, shikona cool, dream..), and the impending commentary-I stick with the Kyokai for now.

The 1.6'er is a bit more stable than that for me, but I don't dare record it...likely too much babysitting involved for possible disruptions. (Not to mention ending up with a 6 GB recording for a full 8 hour day...) The 600 kbit is humming along nicely both in WMP and WM Recorder here.

Still gonna keep both in mind for tomorrow - if Nicovideo turns it on way early as they did today, we're guaranteed to see even maezumo. Remains to be seen if the Kyokai will go online that early.

(Really, maezumo and makushita are what I'm primarily interested in. Jonokuchi to sandanme are nice to have, but except for a few specific rikishi...meh, think I'll try to catch four hours of sleep in between every night. Especially if WM Recorder doesn't let me down...)

Edit: I probably shouldn't be admitting to it, but I'm downright giddy about the prospects of real-time maezumo results. Like I'm not posting enough during bashos already...

Edited by Asashosakari

Silly question: What do the two numbers (currently 38,000-odd and 33,000-odd) at the bottom right of the Nico player mean? Numbers of viewers I presume, but I'm confused by there being two.

Silly question: What do the two numbers (currently 38,000-odd and 33,000-odd) at the bottom right of the Nico player mean? Numbers of viewers I presume, but I'm confused by there being two.

I think the second on is the number of comments that have been registered.

Does anyone know why the nico stream boots me out every so often to a weird advertising screen?

No, and it's not important-for now, the Kyokai site gives you the same and much more, so why go with nico? Unless the Kyokai goes back to showing only Juryo and upwards (which I highly doubt..) there is indeed no need to use the nico feed at all.

If nothing else, the Nico stream ought to be good for keeping a lot of Japanese viewers away from the Kyokai stream because the Nico option was publicized much more aggressively. Not sure the Kyokai's stream alone could cope with 40,000 logins...

Still and all, if we're lucky this is perhaps a test run for keeping things in-house at this level of quality in the future when the (what likely amounts to a one-time mutual marketing campaign) agreement between the Kyokai and Nico is over. One can hope. Do note that it's not a secret that the stream is already running - there's a blinking "now streaming" on the basho main page, and a notice of live streaming is now also present on the lower-division torikumi pages, not just juryo and makuuchi.

(Do we thank NHK for cancelling BS2 or Kasuganishiki for blowing open the yaocho scandal?)

Edited by Asashosakari

After a series of brief NSK stream freeze ups, Nico is now running slightly ahead of NSK. For me, the NSK video is a bit sharper than the Nico.

I am using http://sumo.goo.ne.jp/hon_basho/torikumi/e...sx/sumolive.asx for the NSK stream.

That link works for me now, thanks!

During the first couple hours, I was getting frequent freezeups on the NSK link, but it has now stabilized nicely. NSK may have bumped up the capacity.

Interesting stuff, I am in Japan and on a 1 gigabit line - thats 1000megabits and niconico is freezing up constantly on the flash player on the actual site.

Running the nico nico 1.6mbits stream (.asx ) through VLC player works smoothly, the kyokai feed is also running smoothly at 1.6 mbits for me too.

Now how to figure out to watch it on my android device... nico nico mobile site wont load at all....

Commentary has started with the Juryo dohyo-iri on the NSK site. The site has been using the same fixed camera as the Nico site. No pans. No zooms.

Edit: The more traditional use of camera zooms and pans started with the first Juryo match.

Edited by Asojima

Now how to figure out to watch it on my android device... nico nico mobile site wont load at all....

Let me know-I've been looking for a way the whole morning..

Edit-just got back home-missed all of the bouts till now-but the cameras and commentaries are awesome. NHk can curl up in the corner.

Edited by Kintamayama

Looked really good to me. But to be honest....no such "yay, I am watching Sumo"-feeling anymore. Just happy to see several faces.

I dunno......

Kintamayama - I just ended trying the regular full website and watched it within the browser (Dolphin HD) worked fine.

There were some android apps for nico nico but they were hopeless.

There's a time-shift feature, but it seems to come with large restrictions (needs to be requested by each user before the broadcast?)...I can't quite make sense of it.

Hey, it works!

Here's how to go about using the time-shift:

On the overview page, each basho day section includes a yellow link to request time-shift access. Click it, and a box will pop up:

nicotimeshift1.jpg

Click the large yellow button and you'll be registered. The box then switches to this:

nicotimeshift2.jpg

The first link in there (in the paragraph above the Tweet button) will send you to http://live.nicovideo.jp/my where all your requested broadcasts will be listed:

nicotimeshift3.jpg

As you can see in my example, I currently have time-shift access to Day 1, and I'm pre-registered for Day 2. The availability appears to be 48 hours for free users; I think it's 7 days with premium accounts. There's also a limit of 10 time-shift registrations for free users (30 for premium) - I believe they mean simultaneously, not all-time, so deleting expired broadcasts after a while (in case they don't get removed automatically anyway) should get you through all 15 days.

Before anyone asks, I don't know if a pre-registration is definitely necessary. Maybe somebody who didn't request one can check it out; the Day 1 section has been moved to the bottom of the overview page, and the time-shift link is still there. Please click on it and tell us what happens for you. (Applauding...)

Edit: While the Kyokai stream was cut off right after the yumitori as usual, Nico stayed on for about 10 minutes longer, throughout the entire dohyo cleanup and until they dimmed the lights.

Edited by Asashosakari

Before anyone asks, I don't know if a pre-registration is definitely necessary. Maybe somebody who didn't request one can check it out; the Day 1 section has been moved to the bottom of the overview page, and the time-shift link is still there. Please click on it and tell us what happens for you. (Applauding...)

Edit: While the Kyokai stream was cut off right after the yumitori as usual, Nico stayed on for about 10 minutes longer, throughout the entire dohyo cleanup and until they dimmed the lights.

I get "expired registration" when I try to use today's time shift. I managed to get registered and the next 10 days reserved though.

Edit: While the Kyokai stream was cut off right after the yumitori as usual,

Did you happen to see or hear who the yumitorikishi is? I notice Shoho wasn't on the list of kyujo posted in Honbasho Talk - has he finally started his new job?

Edit: While the Kyokai stream was cut off right after the yumitori as usual,

Did you happen to see or hear who the yumitorikishi is? I notice Shoho wasn't on the list of kyujo posted in Honbasho Talk - has he finally started his new job?

It was Shouhou.

The only trouble for those of us who have no Japanese is the commentary. I don't understand it, and it drowns out the in-house announcer, who I do understand because most of what he says is all the same format.