Sign in to follow this  
Kintamayama

New recruits for May 2011

Thanks! :-) Interesting to see that Magaki-beya's new Mongolian is using one of Wakatenro's kesho...

Day 7 / Group B:

Results:

Mz24

Edited by Asashosakari

Shikona findings:

瀬戸錦 Setonishiki (Nishikido-beya blog)

濱豊 Hamayutaka (Tokitsukaze homepage/blog)

貴ノ海 Takanoumi (ditto)

Turns out that Setonishiki is using the same kanji as in Oitekaze-beya's shindeshi Seto/Daishohama's real name.

Edited by Asashosakari

Day 8 / Group A:

Results:

Mz8

Edited by Asashosakari

Niban-shusse:

Azumaiwa was absent from the presentation for some reason.

Rikishin 力真 (Kubota, Tatsunami-beya)

Imao (Shikoroyama-beya)

Watanabe (Takanohana-beya)

Tsurunofuji 鶴ノ富士 (Agemura, Izutsu-beya)

Yano (Azumazeki-beya)

Amano (Sakaigawa-beya)

Tamaki (Isenoumi-beya)

Hamayutaka 浜豊 (Hayasaka, Tokitsukaze-beya)

Azumao 東煌 (Hanamure, Tamanoi-beya)

Yoshida (Minato-beya)

Hirasawa (Hanakago-beya)

Daishohama 大翔浜 (Seto, Oitekaze-beya)

Hakuozan 白鷹山 (Saito, Takadagawa-beya)

Setonishiki 瀬戸錦 (Shinohara, Nishikido-beya)

Onojo 大野城 (Kimura, Takadagawa-beya)

Kotokojima 琴小島 (Kojima, Sadogatake-beya)

Azumaiwa 東岩 (Sato, Tamanoi-beya)

Moritaka (Naruto-beya)

Takanoumi 貴ノ海 (Yamamoto, Tokitsukaze-beya)

Wakayamanaka 若山中 (Yamanaka, Matsugane-beya)

Okino (Hakkaku-beya)

Issei 一晟 (Amakusa, Shikoroyama-beya)

Makino (Shikihide-beya)

Terasaka (Onoe-beya)

Kumamoto (Takanohana-beya)

The kanji from today's news reports may be a bit iffy...Azumao's shikona is different from what was originally reported, and I think that's correct (it was mentioned as 東煌 in other articles a few days ago, too), but the simplified 'hama' for Hamayutaka and Daishohama is probably wrong. The Kyokai has yet to update their own site for the niban-shusse.

Edited by Asashosakari

and here are the pics of them, tried to get everyone with more or less success (Sign of approval...)

Shindeshi

Errata now that the Kyokai page has been updated: Hamayutaka = 濱豊 so the Tokitsukaze homepage was correct, not the news reports. (For Daishohama the simple -hama is the right one.) And Hakuyozan is actually Hakuozan, guess I'll need to have my ears checked...

Sorry to revive the thread, but can't think of a better place to post it - I'm surprised we didn't hear about it in May (or did we and I just forgot?), but Daishi Watanabe appears to be a Meiji University grad...Fujishima/Futagoyama/Takanohana-beya's first collegiate rikishi? I had him as "Futoshi" Watanabe in that thread, but the kanji match, as do height and weight.

Edited by Asashosakari

Sorry to revive the thread, but can't think of a better place to post it - I'm surprised we didn't hear about it in May (or did we and I just forgot?), but Daishi Watanabe appears to be a Meiji University grad...Fujishima/Futagoyama/Takanohana-beya's first collegiate rikishi? I had him as "Futoshi" Watanabe in that thread, but the kanji match, as do height and weight.

There were a couple of very, very tiny articles in February about the first daigaku shusshin deshi for Takanohana Beya. It is well known that Takanohana Oyakata has great disdain for gaijin and daigaku shusshin rikishi. It was after much coaxing/pleading by influential koenkai members that he accepted Takanoiwa as his first foreign-born deshi.

Takanohana Beya already got a foreign rikishi in March 2004 with Yamada from Korea, who wasn't very successful.

I wouldn't call it great disdain for gaijin just because he wants a japanese rikishi to climb up the ranks. Takanoiwa is very well respected and liked by him. He always speaks highly of Hakuho and some other mongolian rikishi like (of course :-() Kakuryu. Hakuho even came to the heya for a training lesson in the beginning of the month.

Takanohana Beya already got a foreign rikishi in March 2004 with Yamada from Korea, who wasn't very successful.

I wouldn't call it great disdain for gaijin just because he wants a japanese rikishi to climb up the ranks. Takanoiwa is very well respected and liked by him. He always speaks highly of Hakuho and some other mongolian rikishi like (of course :-() Kakuryu. Hakuho even came to the heya for a training lesson in the beginning of the month.

He he. I knew I would get a response from you, Martina. Takanohana does not dislike gaijin because he is a xenophobe as such. He dislikes gakusei shusshin for the same reason. They are not tataki-age--those deshi that are trained in ozumo from the very beginning. He feels the "older" foreigners and college grads are spoiled and will never fully understand the true spirit of sumodo.

As you can tell from his Japanese surname Yamada was a Japanized Korean, who probably grew up in Japan even though he was born in Korea. There are many such Koreans called zai-nichi 在日, who would be in Kinta's term "closet gaijin" but Japanese for all practical purposes.

Takanoiwa is a great kid. The koenkai people convinced Takanohana that the young man was educated in Japan and was thoroughly familiar with the Japanese way.

Takanohana also likes Hakuho because Hakuho does everything to be a good yokozuna. He speaks Japanese fluently, married a Japanese woman and tries to follow sumodo to a tee. Taka did not feel the same way about Asashoryu. His distaste for the Black Yokozuna was such that he refused even to utter his name. He would refer to him as "The Other Yokozuna" while he would refer to Hakuho by name.

Your Kakuryu also has an impeccable reputation and is liked by all. As I have written numerous times, his Japanese fluency is the best in Ozumo. Taka has no objections to gaijin who know the Japanese ways and adhere to the tenets of sumodo.

hehe I always like to fulfill your expectations :-(