Sign in to follow this  
Kintamayama

Onoe Oyakata caught DUI

Lately very pissed Onoe Oyakata has been caught driving while very pissed under the influence of alcohol. The police intend to press charges. According to sources, last night at around 10 PM on Highway 1 in Minatoku, a car was reported to be standing in the middle of the central lane. When the police came running, they found Onoe Oyakata in the car and gave him a breathalyzer test, where it was found that the alcohol level in his blood was above the allowed. "I was in Shinbashi drinking with the young lads.." he explained. The police are investigating why he parked his car in the center lane of a highway and how much exactly he had had to drink.

Lately, Onoe has been angrily debating the Kyokai's decisions which have caused three of his deshi to retire from sumo.

Hmm.. Does the driving ban include Oyakata?

Edited by Kintamayama

The exact same thing happened to pro wrestler Kurt Angle last month. But they couldn't charge him with "drunk driving" because nobody actually saw him driving, so he was charged with "operating a motor vehicle while drunk" (he later plead guilty to a lesser charge of reckless driving...even though he wasn't "driving")

I've no idea if they make such a distinction in Japan, but drunk driving punishments in Japan are extremely strict not only for the offender, but also for the people that served alcohol to the driver, and all people that ride with the driver. If he's found guilty, I imagine that he (and anyone else involved) are going to jail, and probably out of the Kyokai.

Actually the usual penalty is a fine and loss of license when there is no damage or injury.

Edited by alaninjapan

"Inexcusable, inexcusable, inexcusable!" said Hanaregoma rijicho three times upon hearing about this. "Of all the times, NOW?? What the $%^$%# was he thinking?? Preposterous!!" he said.

Press conference, 40 reporters present:"I am sorry to have caused everyone a spot of worry and bother. As a full-fledged member of society I am ashamed at what I have done. It was careless. I am ashamed to face my deshi. I let them, their parents and every one of our supporters down and I feel it is inexcusable. All I can do is reflect upon my deeds.. I didn't intend to drink any sake. This has never happened to me before," said Onoe himself.

"He says he fell asleep at the traffic light. Not something one would ordinary do (translation- YEAH, RIGHT!!).. He showed that he isn't treating these times as times of crisis..I am embarrassed- it's shameful!!" added Nishonoseki Oyakata.

Press conference:

P2011041902484_onoue-kaiken-ns-big.jpg

Edited by Kintamayama

The breathalyzer showed 0.64 mg of alcohol per litre of air, which if Wikipedia can be trusted converts to a blood alcohol level of about 0.13%. He says it had been about three hours since he had had his drinks, so thought enough time had passed to be okay.

Edited by Asashosakari

The breathalyzer showed 0.64 mg of alcohol per litre of air, which if Wikipedia can be trusted converts to a blood alcohol level of about 0.13%. He says it had been about three hours since he had had his drinks, so thought enough time had passed to be okay.

http://www.pref.ibaraki.jp/bukyoku/seikan/...12demerits.html

The legal limit for driving in Japan is 0.03BAC, with punishments getting stiffer above 0.05BAC.

Maximum penalty for "driving under the influence of alcohol" is 300,000 yen fine with 1 year prison sentence, while for "drunk driving" it is 500,000 fine with 3 year prison sentence.

On a side note, in Japan, they measure the blood alcohol concentration in mgs. A BAC of 0.03 related to the Japanese scale of 0.15mg and a BAC of 0.05 relates to 0.3mgs.

So Asashosakari's Wiki-based calculation seems correct.

Actually the usual penalty is a fine and loss of license when there is no damage or injury.

You think that the police will go easy on a sumo guy now?

I wonder if the Kyokai will now institute an alcohol ban for the duration of the skill test. I'm actually half-serious about that...

Edited by Peterao

Regards to the penalties, the maximums are very rarely applied as with maximum sentences everywhere. When was the last time you heard of anyone getting 10 years for burglary?

The sentence won't be up to the cops but a judge/magistrate.

A rather weak punishment from the Kyokai: a 10 year rank freeze, house arrest until the last day of Nagoya Basho, and a warning that another equivalent embarrassment will result in the loss of his heya. Several riji wanted a kaiko punishment, but they ultimately opted for the much lighter punishment.

I don't get the rank freeze thing at all. They're basically giving him incentive to be a half-assed oyakata, so the ones that will be hurt most from this are his deshi.

Edited by Peterao

I don't get the rank freeze thing at all. They're basically giving him incentive to be a half-assed oyakata ...

At the risk of pointing out the obvious, it being Japan: Oyakata promotions are done almost exclusively by years of service in the lower rungs, half- or full-assedness has little to do with it to begin with.

I don't get the rank freeze thing at all. They're basically giving him incentive to be a half-assed oyakata ...

At the risk of pointing out the obvious, it being Japan: Oyakata promotions are done almost exclusively by years of service in the lower rungs, half- or full-assedness has little to do with it to begin with.

In other words, nothing's changed.

"Inexcusable, inexcusable, inexcusable!" said Hanaregoma rijicho three times upon hearing about this. "Of all the times, NOW?? What the $%^$%# was he thinking?? Preposterous!!" he said.

I share the Rijicho's sentiments exactly. Initially my gut reaction was to say the heya should be closed, but then why should the deshi (what's left of them...) be punished because Onoe has been an absolute tool? So in the end I'm glad it wasn't closed - but the oyakata can be under no illusions now that he is skating on the thinnest of ice...

Edited by Yubinhaad

I share the Rijicho's sentiments exactly. Initially my gut reaction was to say the heya should be closed, but then why should the deshi (what's left of them...) be punished because Onoe has been an absolute tool? So in the end I'm glad it wasn't closed - but the oyakata can be under no illusions now that he is skating on the thinnest of ice...

Today Nikkan Sports finally...well, I can't say they outright said it, but at least they insinuated that Onoe-beya's continued existence is likely owed to a Kyokai interest in not upsetting one of their stars in Baruto even further, much like Hakuho's Miyagino-beya only underwent a shisho change late last year after much larger penalties were on the table for ex-Kanechika. Without an ozeki in the stable they probably would have folded it, I suspect.

Edit: Incidentally, it appears Onoe had to sign off on the consequences (i.e. loss of heya) of another misstep in writing, which strikes me as a rather unusual move for the Kyokai and underscores just how close they likely were to shutting things down.

Edited by Asashosakari

In other words, nothing's changed.

Uh, why would it? The first two levels of the oyakata hierarchy are designed as pure entry-level positions in which newly retired rikishi only spend a handful of years. Excluding oyakata on borrowed shares who cannot be promoted by decree, well over 80% of all oyakata are typically at level three and higher, in large part because oyakata at the lowest two levels are ineligible for a lot of jobs in the Kyokai structure and they can't exactly overthrow that system at a moment's notice just to satisfy your desire for indeterminable amounts of "change". The process of differentiating people by ability simply starts at level three, not level one. (I keep wondering, do you actually want things to become better or just "different"? You always seem curiously unconcerned about whether the changes you're clamouring for would actually be an improvement. Maybe you're just not thinking that far ahead, I dunno.)

In any case, barring Onoe from anything of importance for over 40% of his remaining oyakata career (10 out of 24 years), not to mention the 20+% salary loss it represents, seems like a pretty tough punishment to me. Unless one was hoping for him to be thrown out altogether, I suppose. Try not to cheer too loudly in case Onoe actually gets indicted by the prosecutor's office, people might get the idea you're just here to root for as much chaos as possible.

Edited by Asashosakari

Today Nikkan Sports finally...well, I can't say they outright said it, but at least they insinuated that Onoe-beya's continued existence is likely owed to a Kyokai interest in not upsetting one of their stars in Baruto even further. Without an ozeki in the stable they probably would have folded it, I suspect.

Probably a red herring, but I remember when Baruto left Mihogaseki in 2006, he was hardly overjoyed to be moving... although this was when Onoe beya was literally a pile of dirt in a garage. (If I remember rightly, the location sucked, the facilities sucked, it was miles from Ryogoku etc etc)

Even so I'd be interested to hear from people close to him now about how upset he'd be to go back to Mihogaseki.

Probably a red herring, but I remember when Baruto left Mihogaseki in 2006, he was hardly overjoyed to be moving... although this was when Onoe beya was literally a pile of dirt in a garage. (If I remember rightly, the location sucked, the facilities sucked, it was miles from Ryogoku etc etc)

Even so I'd be interested to hear from people close to him now about how upset he'd be to go back to Mihogaseki.

FWIW, this morning's Sanspo update is headlined "Baruto relieved at Onoe-beya survival" and has a corresponding quote by him. Of course, what else is he supposed to say in public...

(I keep wondering, do you actually want things to become better or just "different"? You always seem curiously unconcerned about whether the changes you're clamouring for would actually be an improvement. Maybe you're just not thinking that far ahead, I dunno.)

I don't see how things can become better without also becoming different. The old cliche about the definition of insanity fits well here. You cannot keep the current system and expect different results.

A new roadmap for sumo is no doubt fraught with new problems, but by adopting a culture of accepting change, I believe any of those problems are solvable. The current road leads to a cliff. They can drive slower to delay reaching the end, but ultimately it is a road with no hope.

Edited by Peterao

Today Nikkan Sports finally...well, I can't say they outright said it, but at least they insinuated that Onoe-beya's continued existence is likely owed to a Kyokai interest in not upsetting one of their stars in Baruto even further. Without an ozeki in the stable they probably would have folded it, I suspect.

Well now he has a brand spaking new, the newest of all new heya to train in. It is gorgeous and he is the leader of that heya!! the facilities are great, no more eating on the dohyo practically!! He has a nice place there and of course he spends most of the time in his own apartment anyway. Back when he left to that newspaper delivery warehouse it was an awful place but now it is different. Though the location is the same, just down the block, still miles from Ryogoku or anywhere else..

On the other hand.... Baruto says that rent he pays around there is much less than he'd have to pay closer to Ryogoku and more importantly he's learned that it is much quieter around where he is. The people there treat the boys and him just like family he isn't Ozeki with the locals he is still "Baruchan" as I hear the old ladies call him!! He is able to relax a lot more there than if he was in the midst of Ryogoku always needing to dress up to go down the street. I think going back to that old cramped Mihogaseki wouldn't be his dream, not to mention sharing the spotlight with Aran. Sure he's an ozeki and Aran is not but at Onoe he is it, no spotlight to share at all!!!

In any case, barring Onoe from anything of importance for over 40% of his remaining oyakata career (10 out of 24 years), not to mention the 20+% salary loss it represents, seems like a pretty tough punishment to me.

Do you know what would happen to a salaryman in Japan if he were caught drunk driving? He would be fired.

Onoe got off easy.

FWIW, this morning's Sanspo update is headlined "Baruto relieved at Onoe-beya survival" and has a corresponding quote by him. Of course, what else is he supposed to say in public...

I found out two days ago why Baruto probably did want to say he was relieved... The decision was made that IF Onoe was closed the Onoe boys would move to Kitanoumi! What a dump compared to his new heya... sure he wouldn't have to live there but the keikoba is way too small for that many people already and they do keiko in shifts now starting at 5:30. Only one toilet for the boys during keiko. only two showers.. Sure he'd get priority but still... The Kitanoumi boys were kinda psyched at the idea of getting an ozeki on one hand, but the thought of adding the rest of the rikishi to the heya's already cramped quarters was not looking good. They already have the lowest division boys sleeping around the dohyo and they got two new boys already... They don't even have the full room of one futon to sleep in the upstairs quarters. They are so tight the futons are overlapping. The active sleepers are kicking the others all night... nobody can sleep. That place is a mess!

In any case, barring Onoe from anything of importance for over 40% of his remaining oyakata career (10 out of 24 years), not to mention the 20+% salary loss it represents, seems like a pretty tough punishment to me.

Do you know what would happen to a salaryman in Japan if he were caught drunk driving? He would be fired.

Onoe got off easy.

Not sure about that... he might get moved sideways and the whole thing swept under the carpet. Not that I've watched it happen.

I found out two days ago why Baruto probably did want to say he was relieved... The decision was made that IF Onoe was closed the Onoe boys would move to Kitanoumi! What a dump compared to his new heya... sure he wouldn't have to live there but the keikoba is way too small for that many people already and they do keiko in shifts now starting at 5:30. Only one toilet for the boys during keiko. only two showers.. Sure he'd get priority but still... The Kitanoumi boys were kinda psyched at the idea of getting an ozeki on one hand, but the thought of adding the rest of the rikishi to the heya's already cramped quarters was not looking good. They already have the lowest division boys sleeping around the dohyo and they got two new boys already... They don't even have the full room of one futon to sleep in the upstairs quarters. They are so tight the futons are overlapping. The active sleepers are kicking the others all night... nobody can sleep. That place is a mess!

On the other hand, if the two heyas merged, wouldn't that have hastened plans to create a new Kitanoumi-beya? Or else some temporary arrangements that would have seen both buildings being used to ease the strains for everyone?

On the other hand, if the two heyas merged, wouldn't that have hastened plans to create a new Kitanoumi-beya? Or else some temporary arrangements that would have seen both buildings being used to ease the strains for everyone?

even the fastest of hastened plans would mean two years of construction.

using both Onoe and Kitanoumi would not be possible as Onoe is way too far from Ryogoku. I had thought the same thing with Kise, why not let the Kise boys still sleep at Kise...? but that was not done. Even to say all makushita could sleep at Kise or such an arrangement but if they wouldn't let two heya which are 5 minutes walk be used together then Onoe and Kitanoumi really would be out.

The Metropolitan Police have filed charges against Onoe Oyakata for driving under the influence yesterday. "He drank sake and drove, and after stopping at a light, he fell asleep..," said the report. He had 0.6 milligrams more alcohol in his blood than is allowed.