Sign in to follow this  
Peterao

The 2011 May Ability Judgement Event

Ticket distribution schedule (hopefully without errors on my part):

First off, people interested in tickets for Natsu basho will be able to enter a lottery, either on the net via http://sumo-ticket.jp/ or by phone (0570.02.9965), where you can select how many tickets you want and for which day (a limit of 4 tickets per basho day will apply, it seems). Box and chair seats will be treated as separate for this (I think...), but no more detailed seating choices will be available. This lottery will be open for entry from Saturday, 4/23 at 11am to Monday, 4/25 at 11:30pm.

The results of the lottery will be announced on the aforementioned site from 10am on 4/27 (or if you're so inclined, you can probably phone them and ask about your status, too), and the tickets will be available for pickup from konbini ticket stations and the like until 4/28 at 11:30pm. The tickets will be free, but a handling fee of 210 yen or thereabout will apply at the time of pickup.

Just checking the site (which is under heavy access, and difficult to connect to) there is a 600 yen fee just to register for the lottery for tickets (which you have to pay for every entry that you make) So you have to create a Ticket Pia account and pay money even if you lose.

I know it is Ticket Pia and not the Sumo Kyokai that is doing this, but this still isn't going to win the Kyokai many friends...

Edited by Peterao

Ticket distribution schedule (hopefully without errors on my part):

First off, people interested in tickets for Natsu basho will be able to enter a lottery, either on the net via http://sumo-ticket.jp/ or by phone (0570.02.9965), where you can select how many tickets you want and for which day (a limit of 4 tickets per basho day will apply, it seems). Box and chair seats will be treated as separate for this (I think...), but no more detailed seating choices will be available. This lottery will be open for entry from Saturday, 4/23 at 11am to Monday, 4/25 at 11:30pm.

The results of the lottery will be announced on the aforementioned site from 10am on 4/27 (or if you're so inclined, you can probably phone them and ask about your status, too), and the tickets will be available for pickup from konbini ticket stations and the like until 4/28 at 11:30pm. The tickets will be free, but a handling fee of 210 yen or thereabout will apply at the time of pickup.

Just checking the site (which is under heavy access, and difficult to connect to) there is a 600 yen fee just to register for the lottery for tickets (which you have to pay for every entry that you make) So you have to create a Ticket Pia account and pay money even if you lose.

I know it is Ticket Pia and not the Sumo Kyokai that is doing this, but this still isn't going to win the Kyokai many friends...

Well actually the Sumo Kyokai is "doing this" by making it available by lottery only through Pia! Obviously Pia has to make their money for doing this service. However the Kyokai could have forgone this lottery thing and just had ticket reservations from today or 29th or whatever. So they are pissing some people off.

Are you sure that we have to pay the 600 yen even if we lose?? Because I can't see how they can collect that from the people who didn't register with a credit card. Since you can register with credit card, denshmoney or basically COD it would be difficult to collect on those without the credit card option...

I have both types of id one with cc and one without.. I guess I will find out but I bet I won't pay COD at 7-11 for something I don't get!! (In a state of confusion...)

I also thought it was strange that you can apply for either Masu or Isu when it is supposed to be open seating... why the distinction????

I also thought it was strange that you can apply for either Masu or Isu when it is supposed to be open seating... why the distinction????

My guess is that they'll still have the anti-yakuza restrictions in place and there will be limitations on moving between the two areas (in both directions).

Edit: And I think the 600 yen charge will only apply to successful lottery entries in the end, just like the 105 yen per ticket charge. No guarantees though...

Edited by Asashosakari

My guess is that they'll still have the anti-yakuza restrictions in place and there will be limitations on moving between the two areas (in both directions).

That's my guess too. And as a working stiff it has been my habit for years (and years and years) to go in on weekday mornings just for the first hour -- maezumo if it's happening, jonokuchi and half of jonidan up to the first change of judges -- and then go off to work. I have my favourite seat, last front row masuseki on the west side next to the shomen entrance. The real customers won't be there for hours. In January, having no choice, I meekly did my coverage leaning against the wall of the rear corridor looking down the muko-west hanamichi. (The dekata on duty very obligingly moved the small barrier so that I and others had a clear view. It was in his power to obstruct us but he didn't.)

One basho of that was enough. From now on, if I am to be treated as a potential yakuza even at 8:30 a.m., I am simply not going. This is your typical Japanese over-reaction and I'm not playing along. I will continue to support sumo but I will do it in other ways.

Doreen Simmons, aka Orion

That's my guess too. And as a working stiff it has been my habit for years (and years and years) to go in on weekday mornings just for the first hour -- maezumo if it's happening, jonokuchi and half of jonidan up to the first change of judges -- and then go off to work. I have my favourite seat, last front row masuseki on the west side next to the shomen entrance. The real customers won't be there for hours. In January, having no choice, I meekly did my coverage leaning against the wall of the rear corridor looking down the muko-west hanamichi. (The dekata on duty very obligingly moved the small barrier so that I and others had a clear view. It was in his power to obstruct us but he didn't.)

One basho of that was enough. From now on, if I am to be treated as a potential yakuza even at 8:30 a.m., I am simply not going. This is your typical Japanese over-reaction and I'm not playing along. I will continue to support sumo but I will do it in other ways.

Doreen Simmons, aka Orion

Like Doreen I often went only in the mornings before work when I couldn't be there all day. Or even leaving before or just after juryo when I had night classes. Long before most people showed up. In January I spent the rest of my savings to sit at the first floor out of desperation.. now I think it may have been a good choice though with all my friends being thrown out of sumo... at least I got to see them close up one last basho. Anyway this basho on weekdays I could go for some hours until noon and even tho the tickets are technically free the cost of getting there and back for me and almost 2 hours each way isn't worth it anymore as I lost a lot of energy over these crazy restrictions after two basho! It is so ridiculous of a system to "prevent yakuza" who would indeed have first floor tickets and trust me the people working the doors especially after 1pm all the part time workers hired by the monbusho have no idea of the yakuza faces so they can still get in with a ticket.. The whole procedure is stupid and only wasting money to hire those part time workers.

Of course after this shoddy yaocho investigation I have absolutely no respect or tolerance for the kyokai anymore anyway.

Is there a complete list of all fired rikishi? I tried to find one among the threads but couldn't find. It's Banzuke Day originally today, but I don't know who will participate on basho on that banzuke which was published in March. And there is no info on Kyokai's site, neither at Doitsuyama's. Thanks for any help.

I was just wondering... since this is a not-quite-sort-of Natsu unbasho, will there still be a yumitori-shiki?

The current rankings for makushita and below will supposedly not become known until the first round of matches is scheduled on the Friday before shonichi.

I'm hoping that the rankings will at the very least appear on the results sheets.

Watching the upper Makushita will be most interesting this time around. I would think that every ms9 and above would clinch promotion to Juryo with a simple kachikoshi. Since all of them won't get KK, I'm sure that several of the ms10 and above will get promoted as well, maybe even some of the rikishi beyond the normal ms15 boundary.

The most recent example of an ms1E rikishi winning the Makushita yusho was Fukuoka (now Okinoumi) at Hatsu 2009, after which he was promoted to J7E. So with an extra 17 slots opening up, in theory, it is possible for a Makushita rikishi to be promoted straight to Makunouchi (though in practice, I'm sure that our theoretical ms1E would rise no higher than J1E...)

Edited by Peterao

Watching the upper Makushita will be most interesting this time around. I would think that every ms9 and above would clinch promotion to Juryo with a simple kachikoshi. Since all of them won't get KK, I'm sure that several of the ms10 and above will get promoted as well, maybe even some of the rikishi beyond the normal ms15 boundary.

I still hope they deviate from the regular scheduling practices; it's going to be utter BS if the high-rankers have their usual shoot-out and someone up there goes 3-4 to be stuck in makushita for Nagoya while Ms10+ guys go 5-2 or even 4-3 with creampuff schedules and move into juryo.

Anyway, 140,000 entries (by which they mean "entries requesting 140,000 tickets", I think...but maybe not?) were received in the ticket lottery, 30,000 will be made available for successful entries. Another 60,000 tickets will be on offer for the first-come-first-serve part of the distribution that starts on Friday.

On an initiative by renewal chairman Shimamura some 3,000 tickets are expected to be set aside to invite people displaced by the quake/tsunami, with a focus on children and the Kyokai picking up the tab for any required transportation and lodging. 1,000 from Miyagi prefecture for the middle Sunday, another 1,000 each from Iwate and Fukushima for senshuraku.

I still hope they deviate from the regular scheduling practices; it's going to be utter BS if the high-rankers have their usual shoot-out and someone up there goes 3-4 to be stuck in makushita for Nagoya while Ms10+ guys go 5-2 or even 4-3 with creampuff schedules and move into juryo.

It appears they've chosen a different option; rather than try to fill out the full 42 Makunouchi and 28 Juryo spots, they will instead temporarily shrink both divisions, and gradually build them back up to the old number over the course of several basho. So no lucky sekitori promotions from the nether regions, nor any large scale influx of new Juryo.

And I'm sure that the resulting savings in salary payments is not coincidental...

Edited by Peterao

Anyway, 140,000 entries (by which they mean "entries requesting 140,000 tickets", I think...but maybe not?) were received in the ticket lottery, 30,000 will be made available for successful entries. Another 60,000 tickets will be on offer for the first-come-first-serve part of the distribution that starts on Friday.

I wonder if this distro method eliminates any likelihood of getting tickets from turning up on the day of the tournaments.

I wonder if this distro method eliminates any likelihood of getting tickets from turning up on the day of the tournaments.

I'm not sure. The press seem to imply that this will be all or nearly all tickets remaining, quoting Kyokai personnel (paraphrased on my part) "day tickets will be made available IF seats are left over after the pre-sale", which might indicate that these 30k + 60k plus whatever the Kyokai had to hand over to the chayas last month is all there is. How big is on-site ticket scalping in Japan? I'm sure the Kyokai doesn't want these tickets resold for money right in front of the Kokugikan, but it might happen this time anyway...

How big is on-site ticket scalping in Japan? I'm sure the Kyokai doesn't want these tickets resold for money right in front of the Kokugikan, but it might happen this time anyway...

Talk is of tickets already being sold on eBay- 10,000 yen for a masu.

How big is on-site ticket scalping in Japan? I'm sure the Kyokai doesn't want these tickets resold for money right in front of the Kokugikan, but it might happen this time anyway...

Talk is of tickets already being sold on eBay- 10,000 yen for a masu.

Hence my "on-site" qualifier. Well, if nothing else these auctions might provide valuable insight to the Kyokai about the perceived value of their masu tickets compared to their actual regular price (about four times that much, right?)...

Well, if nothing else these auctions might provide valuable insight to the Kyokai about the perceived value of their masu tickets compared to their actual regular price (about four times that much, right?)...

Not sure about that-as these are free tickets being sold for money, even a hardened criminal wouldn't dare sell it for too much for fear of decapitation. It also is not deemed "the right time" for ripping people off on THAT scale...

Well, if nothing else these auctions might provide valuable insight to the Kyokai about the perceived value of their masu tickets compared to their actual regular price (about four times that much, right?)...

Not sure about that-as these are free tickets being sold for money, even a hardened criminal wouldn't dare sell it for too much for fear of decapitation. It also is not deemed "the right time" for ripping people off on THAT scale...

Looks like the masu are up to Y20,000:

http://mdn.mainichi.jp/mdnnews/sports/news...0na009000c.html

No nobori flags, no taiko drums, no full-house banner, no yusho victory parade ( a photo shoot on a car at the entrance of the KKan instead). Electricity -usually at the peak of a basho day (4-6 pm), they use 1400 kilowatts. The Kyokai's aim is to use about one half of that-744 kilowatts per day. They hope to reach that by dimming the general lights, closing down the shops and restaurants, including the chanko restaurant.

Edited by Kintamayama

No nobori flags, no taiko drums, no full-house banner, no yusho victory parade ( a photo shoot on a car at the entrance of the KKan instead). Electricity -usually at the peak of a basho day (4-6 pm), they use 1400 kilowatts. The Kyokai's aim is to use about one half of that-744 kilowatts per day. They hope to reach that by dimming the general lights, closing down the shops and restaurants, including the chanko restaurant.

Seriously? (Checking date, making sure it's not Apr 1st.)

Why don't they just hold it in some K-Mart parking lot somewhere? Under the street lights. With addition lighting from the headlights of some parked cars. They could create a dohyo on a couple of flat-bed trucks....

This just gets sillier and sillier.............

Seriously? (Checking date, making sure it's not Apr 1st.)

Why don't they just hold it in some K-Mart parking lot somewhere? Under the street lights. With addition lighting from the headlights of some parked cars. They could create a dohyo on a couple of flat-bed trucks....

This just gets sillier and sillier.............

Actually, PR wise, it makes a lot of sense-they don't want to be seen as a corrupt group of old men AND electricity guzzlers "at a time like this". The lights are usually ultra-bright there, so I don't think anyone will be in the dark.. As for the drums and stuff, I think even without the scandal, due to the situation in Japan, they would have toned everything down anyway.

Edited by Kintamayama

-they don't want to be seen as a corrupt group of old men

It's a little late for that! (Band playing...)

The current rankings for makushita and below will supposedly not become known until the first round of matches is scheduled on the Friday before shonichi.

actually the new rankings are published in the mini directory already out on April 29th.

I'm not sure. The press seem to imply that this will be all or nearly all tickets remaining, quoting Kyokai personnel (paraphrased on my part) "day tickets will be made available IF seats are left over after the pre-sale", which might indicate that these 30k + 60k plus whatever the Kyokai had to hand over to the chayas last month is all there is. How big is on-site ticket scalping in Japan? I'm sure the Kyokai doesn't want these tickets resold for money right in front of the Kokugikan, but it might happen this time anyway...

Well, I have no idea if same day ticket sales will or will not happen.. at one heya the boys seem to think they will still have some same day tickets while the okamisan at another heya was told they wouldn't.. how is that for information?? The kyokai themselves probably are so stupid they don't know it yet.

The ticket sales went on at 10am during the soken. about half the people there were either carrying netbooks (like me) or with iphones or regular keitai and trying to get tickets. Nobody could watch the last hour of the soken. The rikishi asked what we were all doing.. trying to get tickets with no success. In the boxes next to me and behind me in our area were 4 netbooks and of course phones. Not one of any of us got any tickets at all. As we left we talked to the others, they too got nothing. One gyoji doing announcing told me that he was trying to get tickets for his friends using his mobile in between announcing with the other gyoji. Also unsuccessful. Some rikishi said they also tried to help out their family and friends but at Kitanoumi beya not one rikishi who tried was successful. By yesterday there were 500 auctions on yahoo japan selling the FREE tickets! (In jonokuchi...) There were more than 200 or so on the day of the soken. I went to the kyokai offices and complained as loud as I could. "why are you not stopping the illegal auctions and yet all of us fans who came here today had to miss the whole hour of soken to try for tickets we all couldn't get" They said "the auctions are a shame" what BS is that? At two heya in the last two days the topic of all rikishi, oyakata and guests is the "ticket scandal"

The heya got some free tickets but not many. I was able to get a nakabi chair ticket from Onomatsu oyakata yesterday. He gave out a few to us who were there for chanko as nobody got tickets the regular way.

Kitanoumi promised to help me get at least one weekday chair ticket.

We would have all rather paid for tickets which were more easily obtained. I never had so much trouble buying tickets on pia site than I did this time. Everyone wanted free tickets to resell. It is clear when you see all the usual ticket scalpers on yahoo selling them now as well. And others are 10 auctions under one id, etc.. It is just disgusting. At first people did pay a lot for tickets they were good ones in 1-3 rows and grabbed 30-50,000 yen but people are getting angry at paying so much for free tickets. I tried to search sellers in the Tohoku area who need money but all the auctions I found were mostly Tokyo, Chiba and Osaka. ;-)

A large portion of tickets have gone to Tohoku people, I would like if they wanted to sell them I'd gladly pay the regular price of a masu box!

Some sellers are not so greedy and only ask 10-20,000 for a box! :-( But people are bidding and buying because they are desperate to see sumo.

(reposting in the correct thread... (Sign of approval...) )

Approximately 1,000 second floor chair tickets will be made available for same-day pickup each day; from 8am, first come first serve.