Sign in to follow this  
Kintamayama

Rikishi/Oyakata/YDC reactions to yaocho affair

Hakuhou has not been seen for the last three days. He did not show up for keiko today again. He is said to be ill. "He's still a bit under the weather. I guess it probably has something to do with the latest problems.." explained Miyagino Oyakata. A sign outside the heya informed the world that for now all keiko sessions are to be private.

Baruto: "It's a real shame. There are a lot of fans who were looking forward to the basho. I will be training as if the Basho is on. Everyone is training with enthusiasm and I also want to build up my body so I can be in good shape and show good bouts, so I am gambarizing!"

Aminishiki: "Now there will be time for my injuries to heal , but I won't be able to put it to a test in a honbasho and that's too bad.."

Tamaasuka, promoted to Juryo: "I myself am always going all out so it's really too bad. All I can do is keiko."

Masuraumi, promoted to Juryo: "I finally made it back, so it's frustrating.."

Edited by Kintamayama

Reactions in private conversation :

- sadness

- there is anger about the nerds who did yaocho

- anger about the questionnaire

- anger about how the executives deal with the situation

- more mobile phones had to be given to the investigators (even Jonidan, non-suspects (probably random samples IMHO) )

Rikishi feel ashamed - who would want that strangers read private conversation? (just imagine the chat with your sweetheart saved on your mobile...)

and most of all the feeling that those with a clean slate are thrown into the same pot of dirt - they did nothing wrong so why would they have to suffer?

If the whole thing goes on for too long I smell revolt-potential and a wave of youngster-intai.

Edited by ilovesumo

and most of all the feeling that those with a clean slate are thrown into the same pot of dirt - they did nothing wrong so why would they have to suffer?

If the whole thing goes on for too long I smeel revolt-potential and a weave of youngster-intai.

Note that the youngsters are punished collectively by default because their pocket money is defined by basho while the salary of those higher up is fixed by month.

In case of jomei, would the Kyokai have any legal claim to wages already paid to the culprits after their yaocho several months ago?

Does going to the bottom of the affair include identifying the victims, i. e. makushita wrestlers who did not get promoted because juryo people were not demoted, and giving suitable compensation to the victims, whether active or intai?

Note that the youngsters are punished collectively by default because their pocket money is defined by basho while the salary of those higher up is fixed by month.

The rijikai will address this issue among other monetary issues tomorrow at their meeting (I mean the Makushita and under salary when there is no basho).

What kind of a war chest does the Kyokai have saved up? NHL owners have saved up $320 million to tide themselves over during a potential lock out next season; I imagine the Kyokai has a little less resources than that?

Thankfully all heya are not having closed keiko! At least not completely closed as Kaisei was able to invite us to keiko last Sunday!

Additionally a little relief is in sight as Arashio beya is no longer "confined" and will be going out to brunch with the boys on Sunday after keiko! This made me feel a little better today!!!

However, the boys who have been calling all night the past two nights crying are still a big concern to me!!! I'm so worried about all of them!!!!

So what's the deal with Hakuho? Shouldn't he even at least show his face in support of the non-yaocho crowd? Or just to assure the public ala Kaio? Or might there be something deeper there. as well?

Just wondering....................

So what's the deal with Hakuho? Shouldn't he even at least show his face in support of the non-yaocho crowd? Or just to assure the public ala Kaio? Or might there be something deeper there. as well?

I don't think someone declining to comment or being reclusive in a situation like this should be interpreted as signifying anything. People do things for a lot of reasons, and it's not usually the one we think it is. He may have a responsibility to do so that he is ignoring, but that's another matter.

All rikishi have probably been instructed to lay low. Kaio was captured by the media as he left a committee meeting. He is the rikishi rep on the committee.

Agreed. I was just curious as to what others might think. I may think Hakuho's sumo is on the boring side without competition, but I do happen to like him personally very much.

Kasugano Oyakata, ex-Kasuganishiki's Oyakata: "If this is really true it's regrettable. It's my responsibility too, and I'm thinking maybe my leadership wasn't good enough.." He does not intend to force Takenawa Oyakata's (ex-Kasuganishiki's) resignation. "He is not under my supervision anymore, and I don't know what the best thing for him to do is. In any case, I leave it in the capable hands of the special committee."

Kokonoe Oyakata, Chiyojakuhou's Oyakata: "As we are in the middle of the investigation, there is nothing I can say for now."

Yamamotoyama, a suspect, but denying : "Of course, I will be cooperating fully with the committee. Until everything becomes clear, it's better I don't say anything."

Shirononami, another suspect and denying: "Too bad the basho has been canceled.."

Edited by Kintamayama

I rarely agree with Lynn Matsuoka, but her comment on the Sumo ML says it all.

"Everyone there has something to hide. Whether they "did it" or not, they

know who and what's going on."

I really believe that there are very few people in Ozumo did not know that yaocho was going on. Those who protect the system share in the guilt.

Very few people within the Kyokai are "innocent"

Hakuhou: "As the representative of all rikishi, I would like to apologize to all the fans. If I had one word to describe the canceling of the basho, it would be 'regrettable'. There is a big hole in my heart and it has caused me to become physically ill.. We have no alternative but to brace ourselves at the rikishi-kai and once again devote ourselves to sumo. We wish to gambarize and go back to doing good sumo in front of out fans."

Edited by Kintamayama

"And I can't say anything but 'no' in response to whether or not I did yaocho, can I?"

Which you already posted in a different thread, showing your deep understanding of how threads in a forum work. Too bad there weren't even more dark hours for sumo, otherwise you would be the one with 15,000 posts and surely would better know your way around this complicated jungle called the forum..

Your insistence on an extremely rigid adherence to protocol is in sync with your belief that the inbred Kyokai can fix their problems just fine on their own, sir.

Your insistence on an extremely rigid adherence to protocol is in sync with your belief that the inbred Kyokai can fix their problems just fine on their own, sir.

Show me one instance I said that. I have been advocating outside intervention for years. I just don't share your gloating, sir. And it's not rigid protocol, it's common sense-otherwise it gets Lionel (messy) and those that would love to read your wise remarks in context will be having a hard time doing so..

And thanks for informing us all that Lynn Matsuoka is now a rikishi. Oyakata?

Edited by Kintamayama

Show me one instance I said that. I have been advocating outside intervention for years. I just don't share your gloating, sir. And it's not rigid protocol, it's common sense-otherwise it gets Lionel (messy) and those that would love to read your wise remarks in context will be having a hard time doing so..

You advocate adding outsiders to the existing Kyokai system, an approach that is always proven a failure (temp riji said so), which is the same to me as keeping the status quo. I say the system itself has to go.

And all I really wanted to do was avoid people thinking that you deliberately omitted Hakuho's "denial". I would be happy to have my post in the previous thread deleted if it would make things ISO62001 forum certifiable.

And all I really wanted to do was avoid people thinking that you deliberately omitted Hakuho's "denial". I would be happy to have my post in the previous thread deleted if it would make things ISO62001 forum certifiable.

I think people here know me well enough to know that I never omit anything intentionally. I also try very hard not to double-post, which to me deserves severe punishment (taken out and shot at dawn is the minimum). How's that for rigid protocol?? (Neener, neener...)

... otherwise you would be the one with 15,000 ...

oh gawd, doesn't bear thinking about...

"And I can't say anything but 'no' in response to whether or not I did yaocho, can I?"

"This kind of talk brings with it misunderstanding.. Not everyone may see it that way, but it can be misunderstood. I really have to ask him what he meant," said a bewildered Hanaregoma Oyakata. The reporter is saying Hakuhou may have misunderstood the question and even though his Japanese is excellent, it would not be the first time he did not fully comprehend a question (...). "Man, he was really pale- he looked worried," remarked an Oyakata who saw him on TV.

"This kind of talk brings with it misunderstanding.. Not everyone may see it that way, but it can be misunderstood. I really have to ask him what he meant," said a bewildered Hanaregoma Oyakata. The reporter is saying Hakuhou may have misunderstood the question and even though his Japanese is excellent, it would not be the first time he did not fully comprehend a question (...). "Man, he was really pale- he looked worried," remarked an Oyakata who saw him on TV.

I figured he was pointing out what a stupid question it was for the press to ask. Kind of like, "Why are you asking? Do you really expect me to say yes?" The press constantly ask questions like that as if they're going to get a confession or something, in public, on TV. If he had done it, would he really announce it to them first? They know he won't, but they still ask. I interpreted it as impatience with them, not a denial-hinting-at-guilt. Why would he incriminate himself in front of everyone? It doesn't make sense.

Can't Kintamayama and Peterao fight it out on the dohyo?

Would be nice! (Neener, neener...)

We can-we are waiting for the right offer. Anyone?

Can't Kintamayama and Peterao fight it out on the dohyo?

Would be nice! (Neener, neener...)

We can-we are waiting for the right offer. Anyone?

And if you don't think you can beat him, I've heard he's willing to take a fall for a price...