Sign in to follow this  
Kotoviki

Midnight Special Japanese Style

What is the significance of the cancellation of the jungyo for August 8 in Akita? Does that mean all the scheduled jungyo prior to that one will be held? I am coming to see jungyo at Yasukuni on April 8, but I can't imagine that will still be held if the Natsu Basho is cancelled? And what about the YDC soken at the end of April? Dang!

Yasukuni is not a jungyo (which is a for-profit tour organized with local interests). The Yasukuni is honozumo, literally offering sumo, an offering to the gods (or in this case to the spirits of the war dead) and whether it happens this year is up to (1) the priests in charge of Yasukuni and (2) the powerful organization of the war dead and their many supporters among politicians, especially the out-of-power LDP.

Orion

Chanko might have the same problem like ilovesumo, sitting in Osaka for no reason...

Maybe the Onryou-gami would be even more angry if it happens....

Probably traditionalists will fight for it and make it happen.

Verena, You're coming to Tokyo anyway, not only to Osaka, right?

There is a midnight bus you can take which is less than 4,000 yen or something, Megu told me about it.

Why don't you come directly to Tokyo after you get to Osaka by the midnight bus, they you could be in Ryogoku where you feel at home rather than sitting in Osaka for no reason!! (In jonokuchi...)

On the other hand I've done sightseeing around Osaka a dozen times long before I was interested in Sumo. There is a lot to do if you aren't depressed about the sumo!!! Good Luck!

Verena, You're coming to Tokyo anyway, not only to Osaka, right?

There is a midnight bus you can take which is less than 4,000 yen or something, Megu told me about it.

Why don't you come directly to Tokyo after you get to Osaka by the midnight bus, they you could be in Ryogoku where you feel at home rather than sitting in Osaka for no reason!! (In jonokuchi...)

Might depend on the date, but the cheapest bus I could find was 5,000 yen.

http://bus.travel.rakuten.co.jp/bus/Search...t=1&child=0

Thank you. Found one for 6800.......for Sunday night.

5000 was for a kid - well, they won't mistake me for one (Sigh...)

But I have an other problem - cannot book the hostel cause I do not have a credit card...(could never get one as student).

:-)

This year will get better and better!

I thought of going directly to Tokyo, but rent there starts 5 days later and a rest after the travel won't harm.

All else is too expensive - best thing is night bus and 4 days of hostel-stay in Osaka.

Edited by ilovesumo

When I went over to Japan, I took the night bus from Tokyo to Osaka, and let me tell you, having a "going away" party at the bus station with friends was probably not a good idea. We each had 2 pitchers of beer, and I was stuck a LONG way from the bathroom on the bus. Lots of "baka!" shouts as I drunkenly stumbled to the loo on a rocking bus many times.

drove behind the Tokyo-Osaka bound bus yesterday for an hour on the way home! Big sign on the back 3,500!!!

What company operates the bus? What conditions apply to that price? Are there any date restrictions? I'm guessing there was more on the ad than a price...