Sign in to follow this  
Kotoviki

Kongofuji Danpatsushiki

Just wondering if there is anyone in the Osaka area who is interested in attending his danpatushiki.

It will be held in a hotel near Nanba (forgive me the invitation is in the car so I can't remember the name) from about 4pm. The party is 10,000 yen and if you want to cut his hair you have to pay to do it but anyone can if they'd like.

I realize he's not so famous but if anyone wants to go I need to send my RSVP post card back by next weekend so let me know!!

Hope I am not ruining your post, wish I could go, but it's not very feasible - anyway, I wanted to say out loud that Kongofuji seemed like a smart, straight up guy, and I think he might have made a smart move, getting on with his life. Even though he had just finished a streak of kachikoshi, he did what he thought he needed to do with his life; and the timing now seems it couldn't have been more perfect. Wish I had gotten to know him better.

Hope I am not ruining your post, wish I could go, but it's not very feasible - anyway, I wanted to say out loud that Kongofuji seemed like a smart, straight up guy, and I think he might have made a smart move, getting on with his life. Even though he had just finished a streak of kachikoshi, he did what he thought he needed to do with his life; and the timing now seems it couldn't have been more perfect. Wish I had gotten to know him better.

Of course you are not ruining my post!! (Shaking head...) and I'm happy your were able to come to dinner with him during hatsu basho!!!

He actually decided to retire last year and decided the basho in September that January would be his last! He went to driving school to get his license over summer and got it in September so he'd be ready for the "after life" and also arranged his studies for the police test and lined up a job!! Yes, he is a smart guy!!

I respect him for deciding when it was time to move on!! He never got any bigger and he knew that his size wouldn't work out in sumo up the line.

I rather see him as I respected Wakaoki for retiring at his 5 year point when he hadn't gotten to a point where he wanted to be, was still 23 and went back to university. Better this than hanging on til 37 or whatnot in jonidan. I'm not knocking those who want to do it but I can't be positive that they are all happy still on toilet duty at that age without a serious salary... though free room and board is something in tough times. I respect the ones who get out young enough to go on to other lives when they know in advance they aren't going to get where they wanted in ozumo!!!

Final addition, I have to return the RSVP in the next 3 days so if anyone wants to go this is the time to let me know. It starts at 1530 Sunday afternoon!