Sign in to follow this  
Zentoryu

More Kyujo

Straight from the Kyokai webpage:

the latest news as of July 11

East Ozeki Tochiazuma (Tamanoi Beya)

has withdrawn the 5th day of the July Tournament.  

East Maegashira #3 Dejima (Musashigawa Beya)

has withdrawn the 5th day of the July Tournament.  

I was expecting Dejima to drop out after the injury yesterday, but was surprised by Tochiazuma's withdrawal. Obviously his prior injury is hurting him worse now than before. Perhaps he tweaked it against Takanowaka?

With Kaio already having dropped out this means the last bout of the last day this basho, barring further injury, will feature Musashimaru against Chiyotaikai. The Yusho could very well be on the line right there. Should be interesting to see how things go from here on out.

Oh dear ... Sad news for the basho race ... and for my predictions in the various games : that gives me five

Dejima worries me. He was finally on the way back, and now he's reinjured himself.  :-P

while I'm at it... Kaiho worries me (two bandaged elbows, yuck). Hayateumi worries me (two bandaged knees, oh dear). Takatoriki worries me. Minatofuji worries me. Hamanoshima worries me. All the 'old guys' with bad results worry me!

But it's these young rikishi that drive me to desparation. If they already suffer so many injuries now, they will never be able to stay in sumo for another 10 years! And I've just grown to like them...  (Huh?)

Disaster! This was probably the worst thing that could happen. So we now have another one of the classic injury bashos. March 1999 springs to mind, a basho that Akebono sat out, while the remaining yokozuna, Taka & Waka, pulled out on consecutive days, as well as new ozeki Chiyotaikai, who had had a disastrous debut even before he got his nose broken. Only ozeki Musashi and Takanonami managed to stay in the basho, and eventually fought it out for the yusho on senshuraku, Maru winning.

Now four of the six yokozuna/ozeki are missing, and it will take a miracle to prevent this basho from being one of the worst ever. I wonder who will win the fusen yusho this time. Very very sad. Suddenly I feel it doesn't really matter who wins or loses anymore.

One wonders: is the NSK doing anything to stop the escalation of injuries that seemingly is only getting worse and worse? No wonder interest in sumo is low, when a basho featuring all yokozuna/ozeki fighting for 15 days is totally utopian.

Sorry to be so negative, but I'm really, really disappointed.

Maguroyama (Unhappy...)

Guest Kaikitsune
Dejima worries me. He was finally on the way back, and now he's reinjured himself.

Hello, I'm new to here. Dozo yoroshiku. :-)

I remember I read somewhere that the astonishingly

increasing number of kyujo rikishis is due to that

they're becoming bigger each year, which matter-of-

fact-ly generates more physical power to crash

heavy enough to damage human bodies... So I guess

it's sort of a vicious circle which probably wouldn't

be broken for good. All rikishi want to win, and they

build up their bodies big and tight to win, unavoidably

causing themselves lethal injuries like we're

seeing now....

I really hope no more kyujo for the Tournament because currently, only Maru, Taikai and perhaps Asashoryu have a serious chance to win the Yusho. Imagine one of them or more makes it kyujo, what a boring basho we will have ...

I don't imagine seriously Tochisakae, veteran Takanonami, Buyuzan still in the race next week !

yagura.gif

sikomovl.gifsikomovr.gif

dohyo.gif

So, one, two, three possible winners ... up to the end ?

Today Tochisakae is absent and Oikari gets a freebie going up to 5-2. Not bad for him.

Does anyone know the details about Sakae's injury? It's not (yet?) listed as a public injury on kyokai's page.

Guest Kaikitsune
Does anyone know the details about Sakae's injury?

Only information so far indicates an infected calf!

Couple of years ago I read the history of Musoyama`s sock (not a whole history book of it, merely a short scoop) and in that context Musoyama was said to get very easily infected wounds and since dohyo is hard surface, they must suffer from minor scratches and cuts where a virus/bacteria can happily penetrate causing nasty infections.

I once got an innocent looking wound on my foot during judo tra

I wouldn`t be too surprised to see him back at the end of basho if the antibiotics give remedy fast. Of course there can be other reasons for the injury. Dejima`s prolonged infection is somewhat more rare so I don`t think Tochisakae has such severe case. We`ll wait and see.

That's exactly what today's NHK sumo broadcasting announcer commented about Tochisakae's health status. He implied the possibilities of Sakae's coming back probably towards the end of the basho. However, he also reported that Sakae's been suffered from high fever ( about 40 C degrees ) since Day 6's night. So... maybe we'll just wait and see, yes.

:-P

Btw, Hoshifransu-zeki, would you mind if I asked - why "Fukushima"?

Btw, Hoshifransu-zeki, would you mind if I asked - why "Fukushima"?

Guest Kaikitsune

Tamakasuga has withdrawn from the basho according to Kyokai's absence updates. Yesterday he looked strong with his hazu-oshi attack finishing Takanowaka in a couple of seconds in a very contrasting way compared to their 8 last meetings which had been all Takanowaka's domination.

Tochisakae returns onto the dohyo tomorrow.

Tochisakae returns onto the dohyo tomorrow.

I wonder what condition he'll be in though. He was doing so well before getting sick.

Guest Kaikitsune

The air was stifling in Kyokai's cabinet when they realised two more kyujo might be pending. Kotonowaka injured his perennially bad left knee in Kaiho's kirikaeshi and Kyokutenho pulled his groin or injured his hip joint (groin is more likely I dare to say) in a close bout against Takamisakari (who looked sympatheticly worried when Tenho was immobile interpreting the pain sensations his axons transmitted).

Groin injuries are nasty and tomorrow he might wake up with quite uncomfortable feeling! If he would not have a status of rikishi and hence under regulations for driving, he could drive to buy pain killers and while taking seat under the wheel he would probably need to lift his injured side's leg with his hand as lifting leg upwards hurts a lot when groin is injured :~-(

Neither of them announced kyujo yet but both went to hospital for medical inspection and wait to see how they feel in the morning before deciding whether to continue.

As nobody seems to have reported it yet, Kotonowaka went kyujo, Kyokutenho fought (and won!) today, and Tochisakae charged straight ahead and drowe Toki out just seconds before falling flat on his belly. His right foot and calf were heavily taped up, but he came back to try and earn his kachi-koshi. I wish him success!

I just read in German Sumoforum that Tosanoumi is kyujo, too? Any info on this? The info comes from Mainichi shimbun.

Guest Kaikitsune
I just read in German Sumoforum that Tosanoumi is kyujo, too? Any info on this? The info comes from Mainichi shimbun.

Mainichi reporter probably wrote Tosanoumi by accident instead of Kotonowaka since Tosanoumi got the free win today. It wouldn't be the first time they have inadvertent missinformation like that.

Looks like Tamakasuga will be back for action on day 13 as his name appears on the torikumi. He's matched up against Tosanoumi.

Hello everyone!

First of all, I'm now on cloud nine because my best gohiiki( =favorite ) WAKANOSATO [ check my cool avatar ] won to Musashimaru!

Sorry, I admit I'm too hyper. Well for a serious note, I think Aogiyama may have injured too seriously to show himself up tomorrow. :-(

I'm so sorry about him because he's been doing not-bad so

far and pretty much likely to earn kachikoshi... I think this is already surreal now. Kaiho, though he won't pull off as far as I reckon, may have got injured, too, due to today's bout ( he couldn't walk with his right foot on the dohyo when doing the after-bout rituals ). Hayateumi reportedly can't make his knees bent okay... what painful

sight we have to witness every day...

Guest Kaikitsune
Sorry, I admit I'm too hyper. Well for a serious note, I think Aogiyama may have injured too seriously to show himself up tomorrow.