Sign in to follow this  
Asashosakari

2010 kensho summary

(Previous summaries: 2009, 2008, 2007, 2006)

Notes (again substantially unchanged from last year): red zeros are due to missing data (rikishi demoted to juryo or otherwise not listed at Nikkan), blue numbers are estimates for a range of basho (the total is known, but not the exact distribution), --- are basho where the rikishi had no non-fusen wins against makuuchi rikishi (also includes 0-0-15, 0-2-13 etc. in makuuchi, not just basho ranked in juryo or below), and intai'ed rikishi have empty fields for the rest of the year. As always I'm listing every rikishi who beat at least one makuuchi rikishi during the year, including visit-only guys such as Hochiyama.

Unlike last year I managed to collect official kensho counts for all 6 tournaments this year, they're listed at the bottom of the first table below the totals I've managed to account for. A special thank you to Jonosuke for noting these totals in his senshuraku rikishi talks, as I'm frequently missing them in my own sweeps through the Japanese press. This year I'm fortunate to have "found" nearly every kensho; the one missing for Aki basho must have been won by one of the demoted rikishi (Kakizoe, Kyokunankai or Tosanoumi), the missing 4 kensho for Haru basho were most likely won by Sagatsukasa as he's the only rikishi I'm not able to account for from the data. (I'm very sure he won at least 2, anyway, as he beat Asasekiryu who has a regular Haru sponsor.) Of course, that's assuming that neither Nikkan nor I made any mistakes.

Last year I noted my surprise at Nagoya basho having the most kensho banners of the year. That didn't see a repeat thanks to the gambling brouhaha, but in turn it's Kyushu that posted the highest basho total, which is even more surprising; since I started tracking these numbers in 2006 Kyushu had always had the lowest total of the year. One final note, the exchange rates used for the order of merit this year: $1US =

Nagoya was a tournament of big losses for rikishi or lesser gain to put it more precisely. 242 kensho only comparing to last years' 1029. 787 envelopes or

Excuse me guys,

The sponsor constracts are included? It's seem not so much mo' for famous rikishi! Please can you explain this?

Excuse me guys,

The sponsor constracts are included? It's seem not so much mo' for famous rikishi! Please can you explain this?

This is kensho won during honbasho, not other money received from sponsorship deals. In this case, famous or not, they still have to win bouts to get paid.

Look at Takamisakari, an easy case since he's so consistent. In a normal non-scandal year he has at least 5 kensho available each bout. His minimum potential kensho winnings are 75 envelopes, or 450 total in a year. (In reality he often has more than that available, since Nagatani-en isn't always the only sponsor of the bout.) However, an average 8-7 record for him means he will only actually receive 240 of them. Note that in basho where no one is withdrawing kensho out of embarrassment, he wins 42-45 envelopes.

Bear in mind that he has an unusually good deal too. Even an ozeki like Kotooshu has only one envelope he can absolutely count on each bout. And he's having an above-average basho if he wins 10 bouts.